Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Frontier. It came with a head unit that supports NissanConnect. I have two phones and got both to pair with the unit. However, it acts really glitchy. Sometimes I start the vehicle and it works fine. Sometimes it gives me the trying to connect screen. Sometimes it just says loading. The only solution I've found is to close the NissanConnect app on my phone and then restart it. It's a pain. Anyone have any tricks? I've tried repairing the phones.

At this point I'm considering a new aftermarket Android head unit if I can't get it to work right.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same exact issue as you. I gave up on trying to use it. I either use the iPod or Bluetooth setting on the radio. It may be the app since the it was rated poorly on the App Store

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same exact issue as you. I gave up on trying to use it. I either use the iPod or Bluetooth setting on the radio. It may be the app since the it was rated poorly on the App Store
Good to know it's not me.

I think it's the app too because it starts working again after I reset it.

What do you mean by the Ipod/bluetooth setting?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good to know it's not me.

I think it's the app too because it starts working again after I reset it.

What do you mean by the Ipod/bluetooth setting?
My 2016 has a USB port in the center console. If yours does, plug your iPhone in there and use the iPod menu of your headunit.

Does NissanConnect allow GPS apps to show on the display? Like Google Maps or Waze? That's one thing I miss from my last car, which supported CarPlay (which basically mirrors the iPhone's screen). I have used the Bluetooth connection but haven't yet downloaded the NissanConnect app due to the poor reviews.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2016 has a USB port in the center console. If yours does, plug your iPhone in there and use the iPod menu of your headunit.

Does NissanConnect allow GPS apps to show on the display? Like Google Maps or Waze? That's one thing I miss from my last car, which supported CarPlay (which basically mirrors the iPhone's screen). I have used the Bluetooth connection but haven't yet downloaded the NissanConnect app due to the poor reviews.
Thanks, I'll try that.

NissanConnect allows you to sync Google Maps via bluetooth. It doesn't show the maps on the screen but it does announce directions through the speakers. It will lower the music to give you instructions and then turn it back up. I have a mount that fits in the CD slot that holds my phone. That way I can see the maps.

The screen allows you view in reverse using the backup camera. That feature works really well.

It allows you to place calls via bluetooth.

You can stream Podcasts and music though Youtube.

You can play music that is stored on the phone.

I actually really like NissanConnect aside from the fact that it's very glitchy.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I gave up it as well, I too have a 2015. I connect my phone via Bluetooth and my Ipod via lightning cable. When it's glitching, are both connected phones in the vehicle at the same time? If so, that might be an issue. My phone (android) and my ipod were both Bluetooth connected, the stereo would often have fits trying to decide which one to connect to. My wife's Buick has the same issue if both our phones are Bluetooth trying to sync to the car at the same time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave up it as well, I too have a 2015. I connect my phone via Bluetooth and my Ipod via lightning cable. When it's glitching, are both connected phones in the vehicle at the same time? If so, that might be an issue. My phone (android) and my ipod were both Bluetooth connected, the stereo would often have fits trying to decide which one to connect to. My wife's Buick has the same issue if both our phones are Bluetooth trying to sync to the car at the same time.
I only recently got the second phone. Both are Samsung Galaxy Android phones. I used it with my Note 4 for over year and it ran glitchy the entire time. No Ipod, all my music is stored on my phone's SD card.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I could figure out a way for my factory feature like rear camera and steering wheel buttons to work with an aftermarket head unit, I'd put in a decent third party one. So many of them today have CarPlay and navigation built in, along with other features that car manufacturers aren't doing yet. But at the same time I don't want to lose the stock look.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Thanks, I'll try that.

NissanConnect allows you to sync Google Maps via bluetooth. It doesn't show the maps on the screen but it does announce directions through the speakers. It will lower the music to give you instructions and then turn it back up. I have a mount that fits in the CD slot that holds my phone. That way I can see the maps.

The screen allows you view in reverse using the backup camera. That feature works really well.

It allows you to place calls via bluetooth.

You can stream Podcasts and music though Youtube.

You can play music that is stored on the phone.

I actually really like NissanConnect aside from the fact that it's very glitchy.
Interesting- I gave up using the NC APP as I really found I useless for me. I use the Siri "eyes free" setting to make phone calls or answer the occasional text with my 17 PRO4X.

Tried using the connect app, but aside from Pandora (which I don't really use), iHeart Radio (don't use either), Trip Advisor (never tried) it's really not needed for me. I have never thought about it syncing google maps so I'll have to try.

There just isn't that many apps available and NISSAN Doesn't seem to have any encouragement to update... the app gets terrible reviews on the App Store and I can see why. However, I have no need for half of it and th ability to search the internet while driving just doesn't seem needed (or safe).

I guess it's all what you want. What I WOULD like is the functionally that they give the Titan and Maxima with Connect. They allow you to set location based alerts, lock/unlock doors, start the vehicle etc... that would be handy.

Love my truck but th app is useless to me -

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't want to lose the backup camera either. I thought that was the most useless feature when I first bought the truck. However, I now find myself using it all the time. Especially now that I have the cap on the back.

The other reason I'm considering a new head unit is I want to upgrade my speakers. From the research I did, I need an aftermarket in order to get the most out the system.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nissan Connect is a POS.

I have it in my Murano and only get three apps to show up and they are useless.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 2016 Pro-4X and I gave up on Nissan Connect after a week.

All I wanted to do was play Pandora which is one of the included apps in NC. I talked to the dealership and they couldn't figure it out. I called Nissan and they couldn't figure it out. I have a Motorola Android phone so I just connect it to bluetooth and play the Pandora from my phone. Basically the only thing I use my touch screen for is the backup camera which is really disappointing since I came from 2010 that didn't have one and I was really looking forward to the cool features the touch screen would have.

Plugging my phone into the center console doesn't do anything because it is specifically designed for iOS devices... SMH.

·
Registered
544 Posts
What exactly does the Nissan Connect do for us? I link my Android via Bluetooth to the truck so I can listen to Pandora or the music stored in my phone. I use a stand alone Garmin GPS. My text messages are read on screen or via a voice and I can handle phone calls from the steering wheel. What am I missing out on by not using the NC app?

·
Registered
45 Posts
HTML:
What exactly does the Nissan Connect do for us? I link my Android via Bluetooth to the truck so I can listen to Pandora or the music stored in my phone. I use a stand alone Garmin GPS. My text messages are read on screen or via a voice and I can handle phone calls from the steering wheel. What am I missing out on by not using the NC app?
I have not used the NissanConnect app, but my understanding is it allows you to stream the Pandora UI to your headunit. The problem is it supports very few apps - Pandora, iHeartRadio, maybe a few others. No GPS apps, so it's DOA for me. The only reason I'd go through the trouble setting something like that up is if I could get Nav on my headunit. Otherwise I'll use my standalone Garmin and Bluetooth for my phone, like you. I don't use my GPS often, so it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I tried to use it again today - really no need for it and as was said before, really doesn't do much. It allows a direct connection to Pandora, iHeartheart Radio, Twitter and a few other apps.. nothing that I really find I need.

You can do all of those apps through BT or USB so I don't see why? I have no need to check Facebook (don't even have a FB account anyway) or TweetyBird...

To each their own, it it had some more functionality then maybe... until then I'm good.

·
Super Moderator
10,430 Posts
All this electronic crap, just more ways to be distracted and kill yourselves or others. There are too many unnecessary features in most vehicles but it's a way for them to keep raising prices.

Clint

·
Registered
45 Posts
All this electronic crap, just more ways to be distracted and kill yourselves or others. There are too many unnecessary features in most vehicles but it's a way for them to keep raising prices.

Clint
Some things I definitely agree with your viewpoint, but GPS in particular I cannot. A GPS unit on the dash is much less distracting than trying to read a map or atlas.

·
Super Moderator
10,430 Posts
I do have a dash mounted gps, indash takes your eyes down and not safe. I try to follow the voice commands and not look whenever possible. In my Challenger the radio is low down and very distracting.
Good call on the navigation.

Clint

·
Registered
544 Posts
I do have a dash mounted gps, indash takes your eyes down and not safe. I try to follow the voice commands and not look whenever possible. In my Challenger the radio is low down and very distracting.
Good call on the navigation.

Clint
My old Garmin is mounted just to the left of the center dash tray, I find it so much easier to use than the big center screen GPS in our Santa Fe...

Crappy pic but you can sort of see it, I like it being front and nearly center.

I can read the speed which is in the corner of the screen really easy so even if I don't have my spectacles on I know my speed...

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't realize it was possible to use Pandora without the app. I'll have to try it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts