Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Nissan Rogue vs Murano: Which SUV is Right for You?

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  D13FrontierLE 
#1 ·

Nissan showrooms are awash with crossover-type vehicles, ranging from the diminutive Kicks all the way up to the dreadnought-class Armada.
Sitting roughly in the center of all that activity is a pair of unibody machines, the Rogue and Murano, both of which are available with all-wheel drive.

Read More >>

See less See more
#3 ·
Bought wife a 19 Rogue SL last Saturday and she is loving it. Traded a 14 Pathfinder Platinum with 58,000...I wanted to ditch that CVT before powertrain warranty went out...too many horror stories.

I'm excited to see how I like the ProPilot lane keeping. Technology is a lot better vs the 14 Pathfinder. My wife is addicted to the all around camera.

We didn't look at Muranos for three reasons: she wanted a smaller size as we don't need anything bigger, price and Murano sounds too much like Moron.

#4 ·
Both are really good cars - yup cars built on unibody frames (Murano is built on the Altima frame). I have a 2004 Murano and with 150K, its still going strong. Now my son’s primary driver as he’s nearly licensed at 17. While it doesn’t have all the newest safety features, its a solid car with enough airbags for protection to warrant a decent NHTSA NCAP and IIHS safety rating. And, it won’t hurt as much when he gets into the inevitable fender bender we all had as novice drivers in our teen years! I have several friends who have the Rogue. They love their vehicles. The Rogue is just a smaller version of the Murano.

I upgraded to a Frontier (yup, upgraded) because I wanted something that could haul and tow more. The 2004 Murano was rated to tow 3,500 pounds. The newest ones are barely over 1,000 pounds. I think Nissan figured out that the CVT wasn’t up to the task of towing. I seemed to have gotten lucky in that despite towing near the limit quite a bit (bass boat or family deck boat), the CVT has held up well. I did a powerflush at 110K miles and the fluid looked worn compared to the new stuff I put in. There are still little things that you would expect in a 15 year old vehicle - vinyl sides on the leather seats are cracking, the driver’s side mirror remote no longer works, and I’ve replaced wear parts (bushings, bearings, belts, suspension components, brakes, recharged A/C), its had very few major issues. I’ve had to replace the radiator once and the front cat substrate shook loose at 120K, but overall its been quite reliable.

#6 ·
I'm with you there. Between what I've heard about the CVT, and what I personally experienced owning a DCT, I'll stick with conventional automatics or classic manual transmissions for as long as I can.

I'm sure the CVT and DCT will get there eventually, I just don't want to be along for that ride!

#7 ·
Old post, I know, but wanted to give some input. We bought a 2015 Murano brand new back in June 2015, it is a SV model optioned with the BOSE system, and Moon Roof. It has been a very reliable vehicle, we got it with 0% interest through Nissan Finance and it was paid in 5 years. To me at a glance the Rogue felt smaller, less spacious, even though the Murano was a bit pricier. Currently close to 85K miles and it is running as we drove it off from the Nissan Dealer in 2015. I will say that I have been up to date with its maintenance, even with the transmission flush. I pretty soon will do plugs on it. In summary we felt there was no comparison back then, the Murano always felt superior and better in all senses.

#8 ·
We have a 2018 Rogue SV that my wife drives. We have had a it a little over 2 years and have 34k on it. So far no problems at all. It has a lot of nice tech features. The adaptive cruise is nice on the interstate. I know that CVTs have a bad reputation but this one is fine so far. Its a bit hard to see out of but the cameras make up for it.

#9 ·
My wife was transitioning out of a GMC Acadia (the larger Tahoe-sized one) and we were a hair's breadth from buying a Murano. I am 6'2", she is 5'11" and our boys (10, 14) are getting bigger.

When it all came down to it, we could get a loaded Rogue SV AWD for the price of a marginally equipped Murano. We went for the Rogue and couldn't be happier with it.
It's just a super design, loaded with safety tech and all the modern features for a great price.

Our only initial objection was the smaller size of the Rogue, but it's been fine on long trips and we've never had a problem with interior space. The CVT even doesn't bother us anymore (we just leave it in eco mode and don't worry about it. It's a family-focused crossover, not a Cayenne Turbo S.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.