Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on stocking up on some of these, how good are they? Do our trucks use crush washers on the drain plug?

·
Super Moderator
19,968 Posts
I am planning on stocking uo on some of these, how good are they? Do our trucks use crush washers on the drain plug?
I don't know what part number the latest OEM filters are. I bought a bunch of the 15208-9E000 filters a few years ago. My truck and car use the same filter. They are good filters unless they changed to a different part number. Yes, there is a copper crush washer on the oil pan drain plug.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i bought a nissan filter once. it seemed ok. some people on here say they are junk because they use a cardboard end cap insted of steel. i didnt buy anymore of them because they are $8 a pop and are made in china. a wix filter is good and thats what i use.

·
Super Moderator
19,968 Posts
i bought a nissan filter once. it seemed ok. some people on here say they are junk because they use a cardboard end cap insted of steel. i didnt buy anymore of them because they are $8 a pop and are made in china. a wix filter is good and thats what i use.
Wix 51356?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I believe I used the same filters as 06 did. I would suggest that you stick with OEM for the first 60k just incase you have a timing chain tensioner issue. It has been reported that they ask if you are running an OEM filter or not. It doesn't matter in the end but it will eliminate the dealer being a douche about it. Also, if you order them online in a pack of 10, it is about 6 bucks a filter or so. Local dealers also come down in price when you buy in bulk.

I did the same thing for the fiancees car (Dodge Avenger R/T). Went to dodge and got a box of 10 for a 2 dollar savings on each.

·
Super Moderator
11,522 Posts
I just bought another 12 filters and they are still part # 15208-9E000.
I never change the copper crush washer and never have had a leak.

Clint

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Here is where I bought mine. I purchased additional crush washers, but have never changed mine. Oil filters have been great and the quality is much better than the filters I buy for our Honda Odyssey. Funny thing is last midpoint filter change I grabbed the Honda one by mistake and it fit perfectly. I still reverted back to the ole gray Nissan though and didn't chance it.

Nissan Oil Filter - 10 Pack :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
if you want to run a slightly larger filter (one of those "it can't hurt, it can only help" things) you can order titan filters. they are the same thread and diameter, but slightly longer and have a slightly higher capacity. i've been running them for a while now. i just request they use one at the dealership when they change my oil (it's only $27 so why bother doing it myself when i don't have a place to do it anymore?)

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
if you want to run a slightly larger filter (one of those "it can't hurt, it can only help" things) you can order titan filters. they are the same thread and diameter, but slightly longer and have a slightly higher capacity. i've been running them for a while now. i just request they use one at the dealership when they change my oil (it's only $27 so why bother doing it myself when i don't have a place to do it anymore?)
The Titan oil filter is really larger? I thought the VQ35, VQ40 and VK56 all used the same and the QR25 was just a bit smaller but still the same thread?

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
The Titan, Frontier, Sentra and GTR use the same filter.
Funny, the Nissan JDM filters are called Pitwork and made in Japan.
titan one is a hair bigger. maybe 1/2 an inch or so. not really a big change and yea the GTR uses the same one as us because the VR38 is based on the VQ roughly (though it's completely different, it shares a lot of the same design and architecture)

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
how many times has the average generic nissan parts clown been known to be wrong? my boss has a titan, trust me they are different sizes

·
Super Moderator
11,522 Posts
I owned a Titan LE for three years, the filter was the exact same part
#15208 9E000.
Filters came from multiple dealers over the years. They all can't be making the same mistake.

Clint

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I owned a Titan LE for three years, the filter was the exact same part
#15208 9E000.
Filters came from multiple dealers over the years. They all can't be making the same mistake.

Clint
I thought the same thing. I am giving HKY the benefit of a doubt and will wait for the PNs from him.

If they are susposed to be the same between the 40 and 56 then I am thinking that a lot of Titan/Amada owners have complained how small the filter is and the dealership decided to track down a larger filter.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
I ran a larger filter on the Skyline in Japan. The salesman there asked if I wanted the larger filter.
At the dealership in Virginia, I asked for a larger filter and the parts salesman looked at me like I was crazy. He also said my oil pressure would be different. So then I asked how that would be possible. Something about the larger filter would reduce pressure. OK.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts