Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the data on this ATF?

Have read that it's basically just an old Dexron III spec?

In an application other than an ATF what are it's pros/cons?

2016 P4X 6spd OM lists Nissan Matic D ATF for the x-fer case, no alternative and specifically says:

"Using fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic D ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and transfer durability and may damage the transfer, which is not covered by the NISSAN New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

Not opposed to using this particular fluid, just curious about it's characteristics.

·
Registered
520 Posts
According to my dealer Matic D only goes into warranty replacement/repair T-cases everyone else gets dexron from the bulk oil drum in back. I went with Mobil 1 ATF in mine. Good Luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good info thanks! Sorry if I missed it but how long have you been running M1 in your xfer case?

Called a local dealer today, was 100% up front, said I had a 2016 PX4 and was looking at the OM re xfer case fluid and noticed that it said to use only Nissan Matic D.

Asked if they even still stocked/used that, they said yeah, have lots of it in stock, $7.40/qt.

Then I asked if there was anything similar, something that might be used in it's place- long pause and then the tech said something to someone else, then to me said "it's a LOT like Dexron-III, if that helps".

Thoughts?

·
Registered
520 Posts
My truck only has 35Kmi on it. The M1 has been in the t-fer for 4500miles of that. When the warranty is up I may go with Royal Purple Synchromax as it has more anti wear additives than Dex/merc. or so I read on BITOG. As many will say, its more about changing the fluids than the brand of fluid. I witnessed many 300K Toyotas in my dealership days, none of them ever saw synthetic anything..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

At this point I'll probably just use Nissan's stuff until I can dig up more info on an alternative. Not looking for something cheaper, but curious if there's something out there that's actually better.

Will post what I find out.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Matic D is Relabeled Dexron, your wasting your money!!! You can buy any off the shelf synthetic for what you'll pay for Matic D. What I found was that RP Synchromax has the same characteritics as Dexron but with more anti wear additives. Dexron does not have many anti wear additives. I read "Bob is the oil guy" posts for days about this.. Unfortunatly RP does not meet spec for nissans warranty, thats why I went M1 today and RP at 60K. If I get there?? Your Call

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OutFrontFrontier- would be very interested in reading some of those posts on BITOG, links?

If RP has better additive package why wouldn't it meet Nissan warranty spec?

About 2k miles from this change so have a little time to get my ducks in a row.

Thanks, Matt.

·
Registered
257 Posts
OutFrontFrontier- would be very interested in reading some of those posts on BITOG, links?

If RP has better additive package why wouldn't it meet Nissan warranty spec?

About 2k miles from this change so have a little time to get my ducks in a row.

Thanks, Matt.
Who knows? They all have their own brand tie-ins and in house testing requirements. Or sometimes, to save money, they will just fail to test out all available products and assume the vast majority of vehicle owners will just bring it to the dealership to have it serviced. I'm sure the RP is a superior product to the Matic D, but I cannot give you any scientific analysis. I know tons of people on this website put AMSoil in their Frontys but I never would let that stuff near my truck. Why? It's been found inadequate in testing for our generators. Basically the state and federal government tested it and it came up failing so we cannot put our hospital or datacenter generators at risk by using that product. We use something else. So if it's not good enough to put my generators on it, I certainly am not letting it near my truck. Does that mean it's a bad product? Certainly not. The number of folks here on CF who use it is quite large and I'm sure they've never had any issues on their vehicles related to it.

As said before, just changing out the fluids on a regularly scheduled basis is far more important than what you're putting back in.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would rather run German/Belgian Castrol in my Frontier's VQ40 but Nissan won't allow that either. Its up to you to figure out your trucks path, my trucks future is already cast till its wrecked or sold. I looked but have no intention of re-reviewing 50 BITOG posts for the specific info. on RP vs ATF in T-Fer cases. I'm sure synchromax does not meet an ATF spec cuz its not ATF, Its manual transmission oil but RP does recommend it(see Link). The viscosities are close if memory serves. I can say that I ran it HARD in 3 different Polaris ATV chain cases with good results a well as a Jeep 6spd M/T.
here RPs add says T-cases
http://www.royalpurple.com.au/pdf_street/p3a_syncromax.pdf
post 23 some other random clown backs me up
Royal Purple - Page 3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts