Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Nissan Frontier Automatic 4x4. When I am coming to a stop it downshifts hard, and sometimes it stays on high gear when I come to a stop. What could be the problem?
I read that it may be the downshift solenoid but I don't know where this solenoid is located. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
How is the fluid level? When was it lasted serviced If at all? Does it happen all the time?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fluid level is okay. It was serviced about 30,000 miles ago. This issue just started last week.

·
Registered
305 Posts
as for fluid unless its a complete refill the typical drain + refill gets only a third of the old fluid. have you addressed the contamination issue common in the 5 to 10 model years with the slushbox tranny!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was unaware of a contamination issue, will you explain this to me?

as for fluid unless its a complete refill the typical drain + refill gets only a third of the old fluid. have you addressed the contamination issue common in the 5 to 10 model years with the slushbox tranny!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
its in the forums as well as just searching. i buy only manuals, but the jist of it tranny cooler contaminates the tranny fluid bye-bye tranny $$$$ there are easy fixes noted but i did not get into it. years from 05 to 10 are noted as problematic $$$

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was unaware of a contamination issue, will you explain this to me?
The radiators in 05 through 10 (ish, the issue is most common in 05 and 06 and less common through apparently 2010) had manufacturing/design issues that would cause coolant in the radiator to leak into the transmission fluid cooler that is at the bottom of the radiator. Contaminated transmission fluid is apparently not particularly good for transmissions and this frequently lead to having to replace the transmission. As rodhotter says, the forums (these and many others) are full of information on the problem. Many people, myself included, reroute the transmission fluid lines to bypass the radiator entirely.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The fluid level is okay. It was serviced about 30,000 miles ago. This issue just started last week.
You need to check this ASAP.. check your radiator and resivoir caps, if it’s milky looking SMOD, stop driving immediately. Plus you need to check tranny fluid again to make sure it looks fine.. clear-ish to very slight pink would be normal.. you’ll know if it’s abnormal looking!

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
You need to check this ASAP.. check your radiator and resivoir caps, if it’s milky looking SMOD, stop driving immediately. Plus you need to check tranny fluid again to make sure it looks fine.. clear-ish to very slight pink would be normal.. you’ll know if it’s abnormal looking!
SMOD= strawberry milkshake of death, a mix of coolant and transmission fluid.

Clint

1 - 10 of 10 Posts