Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy is selling his nismo brand cai for 250 on my local craigslist. I have wanted one, but was told I shouldnt buy a nismo one, due to it being plastic. Any experience with this?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I wouldn't pay $250 for a used intake either

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro4X
812 Posts
Not to mention, that's also near the price for new.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NYCe_Frontier

·
Registered
374 Posts
As far as I can tell CAI's do nothing for modern vehicles except give you reason to
say "Look! I modded my ride!" That being said, I did install one on my truck. but
because I needed the spot where the OEM intake was installed for a second battery to
power my inverter. Mine was made from PVC from Home Depot... a 3" elbow and about
12" of 3" PVC tubing (about $6.) and a filter from Pep Boys (about $18.).

Truck runs about the same... doesn't sound any cooler... doesn't run any better or
worse. It does look better under the hood. The kids all go WOW Papa! (I'm a grandfather)
when they see the non stock set up.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You might consider not putting any type of non stock air intake on. About the only thing you get out of a CAI is more noise that makes some people think they have more power. The stock air intake system with a good quality filter probably does a better job of filtering the air.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You might consider not putting any type of non stock air intake on. About the only thing you get out of a CAI is more noise that makes some people think they have more power. The stock air intake system with a good quality filter probably does a better job of filtering the air.
I'm certainly no expert on the subject. But many of the "cold" air intake setups I've seen seem to draw air from under the hood. The stock Nissan intake pulls from the driver's side wheel well which to me...seems like a better idea.::wink::

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am hearing so much about the negative aspects of CAI, I am just wondering what you guys think is the most high flowing yet protective filter elements are for a stock system.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I am hearing so much about the negative aspects of CAI, I am just wondering what you guys think is the most high flowing yet protective filter elements are for a stock system.
Any auto parts store paper element. I have a amsoil EA filter but they don't make them anymore.

For my intake mod I did the deck plate mod
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f11/air-box-deck-plate-mod-21407/
It defiantly gives you more noise and I feel a little more power. It is completly reversible at any time. But I have found that it will drop from MPGs a little. Most of the time I run with it closed up. Stock is better for water and high dust environments. And other than hearing it vroom I don't need the extra 5 horse power (based on a finely calibrated butt dyno).

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
The stock air box from the factory is actually a cold air intake design and really not too bad, as far as air cleaners go. If you aren't going to be doing a lot of mods, i.e. freeing up the exhaust, re-programming the ECM, etc., then installing an aftermarket air intake system is a waste of money and you will little to nothing in gained performance nor gas mileage. The Nismo, like the K&N and similar designs, is an okay design but is not good if you do a lot of off-roading in muddy conditions, as it can let water/mud get to the air filter much better than the stock or an aftermarket closed box intake system, like the Volant. We're getting close to Christmas and a lot of discounts and rebates will be available soon. Last year, I got a Volant system for my 06 Pathfinder for $225 after the $25 rebate. I had some issues with the install (long story) and ended up sending it back, replacing it with (a much more expensive) aFe Momentum air intake system with a dry filter, which is a much better design, IMO, than the Volant. That said, I also installed an XTP intake spacer, Stillen aluminum crank pulley (not really sure if that was worth the money), Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, replaced the stock muffler with a Magnaflow 12580 and am running a Superchips 93 Octane Performance tune. An aftermarket air intake system only benefits if you nail the throttle as the stock air box is slightly more restrictive than a good aftermarket intake system at high RPM. There may be some sacrificing of filtering as the stock paper filter will typically filter dirt better than a cloth style air filter. Also, if you go to an open style (or ram air style) filter, make sure there is still a heat barrier to keep the hot engine compartment air away from the filter, as performance will drop. Also, don't waste money on throttle body spacers; they are good for carburetor-equipped engines, but do nothing for engines with port fuel injection (other than make noise). Some pics of my aFe intake install and some comparison pics to the factory box:

·
Registered
48 Posts
So, for superior filtering, no one really recommends a K&N type cloth filter? A tech friend of mine absolutely hates them.

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
K&N intake systems are good for racing but not so great for daily drivers and their increase in performance compared to a paper filter are usually only seen at high RPM. The drop-in, stock replacement K&N air filters offer an even less increase in performance. Plus, the oil used on the cloth can contaminate the hotwire of the Mass Air Sensor if it is over-oiled, which can affect its operation. A lot of people also like to refer to the Arlen Spicer air filter test for a comparison of different types of air filters, which is subjective but interesting:

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

That said, I do have a K&N air intake system on my supercharged 2003 Frontier. I didn't like the factory air box and multiple resonator design under the hood and was able to get the K&N system for only $175 new. It did perform a lot better, but it is also a LOT noisier and the truck is a back-up vehicle, driven less than 3000 miles/year.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I use a Wix 46213 from Amazon, a little under $20 each. I don't know how they would stack up against other brands but they look well built and have a good reputation.

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
You can get good deals at Rockauto for engine air filters and cabin air filters. Most of the lesser brands are usually re-branded Purolators.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I use the K&N filter in the factory air box, check it on a year, but probably shouldn't have to clean it for 3 yrs even in the dusty conditions of Colorado. In the past when I clean and oil the filters, I put the minimal amount of oil recommended on, and then let it sit out for a few hours to air dry. Used to have an Audi and the Mass airflow was a problem with the oil, that was the advice of my Audi tech., after oiling, let it sit in the sun for an extra hour.

·
Registered
141 Posts
For my intake mod I did the deck plate mod
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f11/air-box-deck-plate-mod-21407/
It defiantly gives you more noise and I feel a little more power. It is completly reversible at any time. But I have found that it will drop from MPGs a little. Most of the time I run with it closed up. Stock is better for water and high dust environments. And other than hearing it vroom I don't need the extra 5 horse power (based on a finely calibrated butt dyno).
I will be doing this. Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts