Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Nissan fog light install with pictures

416K views 441 replies 189 participants last post by  steve2728 
#1 ·
Okay if this has been done before I apologize. I found lots of helpful info on putting the fog lights in on this forum, but decided it would be nice if there was a thread with some photos of the process.
A big thanks to Justin (WestCoJustin) at West Covina Nissan (thenismoshop.com). I got the light kit from him (along with my next project - body mouldings). Excellent customer service.
Tools needed - 10mm socket, phillips screwdriver, small flat tip screwdriver.

So here's what was in the box - 2 lights, 2 trim rings, new turn signal stalk with the fog light switch and hardware (4 bolts and green clips that I don't think anyone has determined the purpose of from what I've read).

Need a Frontier...one 08 SE happened to be in the garage.

Remove the filler plug from the hole in the bumper. There are 3 small tabs on the back, one of which has a small lever on it. Push on that tab and push the filler out the front.

Tada!

The wiring harness is just up above the hole. It is doubled back on itself and the connector is taped to the harness.

Snap the new trim ring into the bumper. Put the bottom tab in, then the tab nearest the license plate while holding the little lever down on the 3rd tab and it should snap into place.

The fogs for my truck had a plastic housing with a mounting point on the top and one on the bottom. The top mounting point was horizontal and the bottom vertical. To be able to slip the bottom point into the tab on the bumper, I had to undo the 3 10mm bolts that hold the bottom gray plastic piece to the chrome bumper. Pull the plastic down, and manuever the bottom mounting point on the fog light into the bumper mounting tab. The top mounting tab on the bumper should be over the top of the mounting point on the fog light housing.

When I put the supplied bolts in the top one actually stuck down slightly in front of the light. A small neoprene washer solved that.

Snug down the fog light bolts (wiggle the light to make sure it's tight), and then the 3 bolts that hold the plastic to the chrome bumper, plug the harness into the fog light and that side is done!

Ok time for a quick beer. Contemplate "why am I in my garage when it's 35 degrees out installing fog lights?" "Do I drive in the fog so often that I need fog lights?" "How bad can I screw up the electrical system on my new truck?" "Remember what happened when I thought I could install a kitchen sink?" :crikey:

Ok Ok Ok .... It's really easy. Do up the other side following the directions above.

Now lets move on to the light switch. 3 phillips screws under the steering column need to come out.

Gently pry along the seam between the top and bottom half of the steering column with a flat tip screwdriver and it will pop apart. It takes very little effort so be gentle!

The stalk is held in by a small white tab on the top and bottom. Push the two tabs down at the same time and gently pull the stalk out. Those 2 tabs are all that hold it in!

Slide the new stalk with the fog light switch into place. Make sure the plug on the back side of the switch lines up with the plug on the column (looks like an 8 pin connector) before you push it into place.

Line up the top and bottom halves of the steering column, snap together and reinstall the 3 screws.

Turn on the ignition, headlights, close eyes and turn on fog lights. Open eyes and have another sip of beer if they're on. :)
If you see sparks close eyes and take another sip of beer while shutting off the truck. :censor:

Thanks to everyone who has posted info. here on how to do this install. I gathered enough knowlege of here to try it myself (and trust me I can be extremely dangerous when I have a little bit of knowlege about something...think power tool disaster.) I figure the pics might be helpful to someone else down the line.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice job!! Looks like they came with the truck!

#6 ·
Nice write up... Thanks for sharing. I vote sticky too.
How much the whole thing run you? Its on my list of things to do to my truck...

#7 ·
Thanks!
The kit was $200 plus shipping from thenismoshop.com. I could have gone with an aftermarket set up for less, but I wanted it to look and perform like factory. I may upgrade the bulbs at some point.

#8 ·
Very well done! i've been kicking around the idea of installing a set. but now that i know the process i can't put it off cause i don't know how. is it necessary to install a new stalk, or can i just install a switch in the empty space between the window control switch and cargo light switch?

#13 ·
I would definitely go with the new stalk since it is pre-wired to work that way. But I suppose you could do the dash switch if you could locate and splice into the wires for the lights....that is beyond me!

As for the bulb upgrades, I haven't researched that yet. That's gonna have to wait until after Christmas. Philips Xtreme white headlights are next.

#10 ·
well i have been wanting lights and was thinking that i would have to pay someone to put them in but seeing as how your write up made it so simple i will definitely do it myself, with maybe a buddy, and definitely a few beers (have to pay the buddy somehow, right?)

#12 ·
looks nice great job!!!

#17 · (Edited)
Excellent write-up! I probably should have done one myself, but have yet to install a set personally.
Thanks for the support and glad everything worked out for you. This should help out alot of DIY guys!

For those that might miss this thread I put a link on our website to this thread to help people out with the install and to plug the forum as well :)
The Nismo Shop : West Covina Nissan : Nissan OEM Fog Light Kit :: 05-08 Frontier

#27 ·
Install looks easy, still waiting for the part number for the fog/auto light stalk??? Now I see there are two kits and my '08 is not included (build date 9-07)

#18 ·
Ok, i see the price is including the stalk with the fog light switch. thats a good price it seems with everythign included. U know when i bought my truck i said to my dad, i'm not gonna put all kinda of money into the truck, its got what i need and i'm just gonna keep it stock. but damn... its just so hard not to tweak my truck, especially when i see its potential. and i'm not even driving a 4x4.

#19 ·
Got to drive with them in snow for the first time this morning. Made a big difference. Also the Nissan lights are waaayyyy better than the factory fog lights that came on the wife's Honda Odyssey minivan.
I may play with the aim of them slightly, but they were really good right out of the box. It was worth the money in my opinion.

Reactions: chief1911
#24 ·
Just looked under the truck and found the wire harness, definently want to do this, but is there a stalk available for a 2006 XE without auto-headlamps, but with a fog light switch?

#25 · (Edited)
Mine did not have auto headlamps, so it should work. Justin at thenismoshop.com should be able to tell you for sure what you need. You may want to look at the back side of your bumper and see if you have mounting tabs similar to the ones in the pic. I know there are a couple different ways the lights from Nissan can attach.

#26 ·
Thanks to everyone who has posted info. here on how to do this install. I gathered enough knowlege of here to try it myself (and trust me I can be extremely dangerous when I have a little bit of knowlege about something...think power tool disaster.) I figure the pics might be helpful to someone else down the line.
hey thanks for the write-up i just got that exact kit on last friday so im gonna put it on when i get good weather here...

i wonder if the LE-bumper (body color) has this same fog-light setup...the chrome bumper sticks out like a sore thumb to me on my truck. and i really wanna get a black one...anyone have knowledge on this??

#28 ·
I just ended up calling them to make sure I got the right pieces and they sent me an email with what exactly to enter on the website order form. The lights I got for my truck didn't look like the ones in the photo on the website which threw me off at first, but they were the correct ones.

I think the LE has some different parts because of the painted bumper (trim rings maybe).

#29 ·
ok thanks. hopefully i can rig a different bumper to work with the fog lights i just purchased and installed for my chrome bumper. and i put the lights on yesterday and it looks so much better. i found everything exactly as u illustrated it and it was so easy...thanks again.

#31 · (Edited)
What is the stock number of the switch installed ?

Thanks for the info . What is the part number for the stalk ?
I have the same truhttp://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/images/smilies/new/goodjob.gif
:goodjob:ck as you but there are two units to chose from .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.