Nissan Frontier Forum banner

421 - 438 of 438 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
LED fog light or light bar installation question

My 16 Frontier has the fog light harnesses and the switch on the turn signal, would I be able to strip one of the fog light wires and attach it to the LED light bar that I install to the bumper?

If not, how about to 2 LED fog lights instead of the OEM type?

... or if I get crazy, one fog light wire to the LED bar and one split to two LED fog lights? I'm not an electrician, obviously!

Thanks for any input...

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
My 16 Frontier has the fog light harnesses and the switch on the turn signal, would I be able to strip one of the fog light wires and attach it to the LED light bar that I install to the bumper?

If not, how about to 2 LED fog lights instead of the OEM type?

... or if I get crazy, one fog light wire to the LED bar and one split to two LED fog lights? I'm not an electrician, obviously!

Thanks for any input...
Would you be able to? Sure.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't know why not. I did the factory kit cause it looks factory and works fairly good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So a big thanks to the original poster and everyone else that's contributed to this thead. I've been lurking here off and on since buying my 2006 CC SE 4x2 new and have found some valuable info on the forum. Especially the smod which I've taken care of. I've been wanting to do the fog lights for years and recently retired and plan on doing some rv-ing across the country and wanted to do the fog light install. With the help of this thread I was able to. So I thought it was time to give something back to the forum so I took some pictures and will try and give a brief explanation of how it went for me and where I got the parts. :thumbup: Also important, this is for the chrome bumper model.

This is the foglight kit I purchased off of Amazon.

I got the turn signal switch at partsgeek. The amazon kit does come with wiring and a
dash switch so you could do it without buying the stalk but I thought the stalk would
easier and I feel it was. Easier is better at my age.::grin::

Ok, so there are 3 phillips screws in the bottom of the housing that covers the light stalk.
Once those are removed it's just a matter of prying the 2 pieces apart. I do suggest a plastic
trim removal tool so as not to mess up the plastic housing.

To remove the factory light stalk there are 2 tabs, one on the top and one on the bottom of the stalk.
Depress them and pull away from column. Piece of cake.

The new one has the same tabs top and buttom, so depress them and slide into place.
Really pretty easy. At this point I already had my foglights installed so before putting
it back together I checked to be sure they worked and also all lights and blinkers. They did.
So closed it back up.

Installing the fog lights, there is a right and left in this kit. There is an attachment point
at the bottom of the lights that slide into a slot on the bumper and there is an attachment
point at the top that gets bolted down through an L bracket that holds the top. Both those
attachment points were already on the inside of my bumper so I didn't have to do any modding.
The bottom bolt is relatively easy to get to but the top one was a B***H! I could not see it and just
had to go by feel. Plus there was not even room to get a stubby phillips up there so I had to get
creative. I eventually got them. Second one was a little faster but both tops were a pain with little
room to maneuver. I didn't have to remove any splash guard to access the area, just turn the wheels
all the way out.

I did have the factory electrical harness's already on my truck, which I believe most do. Mine were tucked up
above where the fog lights go. They snapped on no problem. Only thing left were the bezel or finishing ring.
Kind of a learning curve to get them on right. I found that there are little slots on the bumper that the tabs
of the bezels will go into freely and then the bezel is spun slightly for the tabs to slide behind the bumper and catch.
Working in cold weather doesn't help but I found if I just rested the bezels in the holes and let the fog lights
warm them up, then they were a little more pliable and easier to get right. So this is the end result and some of the
tools I used.

Final thoughts and impression of the products. It was relatively easy. I have worked as a carpenter all my
life so I'm fairly adept at figuring things out when I have to. So that might have helped on that top bolt. The
stalk feels and responds just like the stock one. The fog lights, well we'll see. With only 2 attachment points there
is a bit of movement side to side and there is a space between back of bezels and the fog light lens. I was a little
surprised by that. But we'll see how they hold up over time. Was going for function here and so not so worried about
the gap, but they do look fine. I'll give an update after 6 months or so.

This is basically my first post here so I hope this explanation is understandable and that I posted the pictures right.
If you got any questions about anything I'll do my best to answer them.

:thumbup: Brian

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Just wanted to confirm with an "OEM" kit on Amazon that I do NOT need the bezels (not in the kit) on a 2018 with painted bumper.

Thanks.
No, but make sure it comes with the mounting brackets

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know this post is from last year, but maybe this info will help someone else...

For the later model plastic bumper Frontiers, these are the three parts that mount the fog light to the bumper:

1. Bumper Bracket Clip - PN: 01554-0007U (one for each fog light)
2. Fog Light Housing Nut - PN: 08913-6365A (one for each fog light)
3. Fog Light Bolt - PN: 08146-6162G (one for each fog light)

(this list is NOT accurate for metal front bumper Frontiers)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hopefully someone can help me with installing my OEM fog lights.

I could NOT for the life of my get the spring clips to "clip". I watched multiple videos and pictures. I would attach to the light housing first and then attempt to "push" into place on the bumper. The clip kept sticking to the bumper and coming off the light housing. I got my lights mounted in place but I feel the screw is doing most of the holding and they could pop out anytime. Just to confirm only one screw holds each light, right? It just doesn't feel like it's enough.

Anyone else have trouble with this, or any tips? The clips definitely did not feel they "locked" into place.

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Hopefully someone can help me with installing my OEM fog lights.

I could NOT for the life of my get the spring clips to "clip". I watched multiple videos and pictures. I would attach to the light housing first and then attempt to "push" into place on the bumper. The clip kept sticking to the bumper and coming off the light housing. I got my lights mounted in place but I feel the screw is doing most of the holding and they could pop out anytime. Just to confirm only one screw holds each light, right? It just doesn't feel like it's enough.

Anyone else have trouble with this, or any tips? The clips definitely did not feel they "locked" into place.

Thank you in advance.
Are they brand new OEM from the dealer?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like it but can't be sure, I bought them online (not from dealer). I guess it's possible I received the wrong clips? The lights are definitely OEM and look new.

I bought the set from https://www.nissanpartspuller.com so IDK could have been from an xterra for all I know. I drive a 2017 cc sv 2wd v6

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Looks like it but can't be sure, I bought them online (not from dealer). I guess it's possible I received the wrong clips? The lights are definitely OEM and look new.

I bought the set from https://www.nissanpartspuller.com so IDK could have been from an xterra for all I know. I drive a 2017 cc sv 2wd v6
Dude, right there on the front page of that website you bought from says:

"Welcome to my page! I specialize in pulling quality used OEM Nissan Parts!"

So considering that you bought used from a junkyard parts puller - your clips could be bad, could be bent wrong, could be wrong clips - who knows. But they're supposed to easily click into place with a solid "click" and stay secure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dude, right there on the front page of that website you bought from says:

"Welcome to my page! I specialize in pulling quality used OEM Nissan Parts!"

So considering that you bought used from a junkyard parts puller - your clips could be bad, could be bent wrong, could be wrong clips - who knows. But they're supposed to easily click into place with a solid "click" and stay secure.
Okay. Do you know where I can buy a set of clips that will work? Thanks for your reply. I mean the lights look brand new and the price was great, I guess I just got sent the wrong hardware.

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Okay. Do you know where I can buy a set of clips that will work? Thanks for your reply. I mean the lights look brand new and the price was great, I guess I just got sent the wrong hardware.
Have you contacted the seller first and told them about your problem with the clips?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you contacted the seller first and told them about your problem with the clips?
Yes, but even if I did receive the wrong clips I would have to pay to ship them back to him to get new ones. Would not be worth it. Which is why I'm trying to find out if these are standard clips that can be bought in any auto store, if I should get them from the dealer, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Yes, but even if I did receive the wrong clips I would have to pay to ship them back to him to get new ones. Would not be worth it. Which is why I'm trying to find out if these are standard clips that can be bought in any auto store, if I should get them from the dealer, etc.
If the seller sent you something wrong, the seller should cover postage. But ok whatever...

...as far as I can tell, there's no actual OEM Nissan part number for the individual clips that snap onto the housing bracket. The only OEM Nissan part number is for the whole assembly (fog, bracket, clips, etc.). So if you go to a dealer they will only tell you you have to buy the whole lamp assembly.

Maybe head to a local auto parts store and see what they have.

·
Registered
38 Posts
421 - 438 of 438 Posts