Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some research, i still don't have a 100% clear answer about fluids. I know that in the automatic tranny, Nissan fluids are a must. What about in the cooling system?

Also, with the VQ40, how important is the type of oil, i.e. synthetic vs regular oil?Just curious if my preference of non-synthetic Pennzoil is okay (I change my oil every 3,000 miles, regardless) What is the brand that is most consistently used? How about in the diffs? I am thinking of running Royal Purple, since it is close in price to the Nissan oils.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I am very abusive to my vehicles. In the summer, they might run in ambient temps of 120 F plus and there is about 25 miles to pavement that is graded regularly but still, (like today) may have a few "washes" cutting them up. None the less they are 80% of the time subject to DUSTY conditions. With all that said, I must admit I don't change my oil as often as I should. I had a Desert Runner that only saw 1 or 2 MAX in it's abused beaten life here. (blew at 220K+ miles) Penzoil works, good, royal purple, Good , I would flush and put new filter/TF at about every 60K or so in tranny. Do it regularly (and not occasionally like me) and it should last a long Long LONG time.
:hi:

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you change every 3000 then the oil doesn't matter.
I use RP in the rest of the drivetrain (I have a manual though).

You don't have to use Nissan labeled fluid. Just make sure that you use something that meets the same standards should it come down to warranty issues. Otherwise, do whatever you want.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really. I use Mobil1 synthetic with no problems.
How long have you used that in your transmission? The biggest thing that I am worried about is not warranty with the transmission, but longevity. The remaining factory warranty is up in a year anyway, and the tranny doesn't seem to be a common fail item.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Change it regularly...if you run it hard, then do it more often. Its cheap insurance! All of the above are just fine. I'm personally a Motul guy...but everyone has their own preferences!

Scott

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Change it regularly...if you run it hard, then do it more often. Its cheap insurance! All of the above are just fine. I'm personally a Motul guy...but everyone has their own preferences!

Scott
i've put alot of thought into changing to motul motor oil. scott do you know anyone that has used the motul 300v racing oil, its a bit pricey and overkill for a frontier but i kind of wish i knew about it went i had my 350z cause that thing got abused lol and if i end up getting a 370 it will probably be the same story with lots of track days.

as far as fluids yeah you really don't have to use nissan fluids especially when it comes to the tranny before matic-s was made there was no synthetic option for auto tranny fluid from nissan and oils like amsoil universal atf meet all nissan standard and is synthetic and actually exceeds nissan standards. they just want you to use all their stuff cause it makes it easy for them cause they can look at that and right away easily rule out improper fluids if you bring it in for service. you also don't have to use their fluids for warranty so just look around a bit cause you have plenty of options

·
Registered
874 Posts
I do oil changes at 3000, use conventional valvoline. I am just about at 36k now and will be moving over to max life for the remainder of its life. Overkill but I change rear end once a year with synthetic and I favor doing the trans every 30k.

I had a 95 5 series BMW that the trans oil changes happened every 15k, sold it with over 400k and never had issues with the trans. Those trans usually started ****ing up around 100k since BMW was using GM trans there for a while. Fluids are cheap insurance, use what you like and do it regularly, very regularly, it will make all the moving parts happy!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might have to look into amsoil. I am making a parts list for my 37500 service, and I am doing the premium service and also assuming that there has been no service done on this truck before, there for I am replacing all the parts in the maintenance book. Using non Nissan fluids has cut $60 off the price, and if amsoil is cheaper than 10.89/qt, then that will help out alot too. but damn... $109.02 for tranny fluid... Expensive. My manual tranny MR2 uses like 4 qts or so lol

·
Registered
874 Posts
No Kidding on the price of the trans fluid, it is rediculous! I have seen it on line cheaper but by time you factor in shipping and all it probably comes out the same.

·
Registered
588 Posts
i've put alot of thought into changing to motul motor oil. scott do you know anyone that has used the motul 300v racing oil, its a bit pricey and overkill for a frontier but i kind of wish i knew about it went i had my 350z cause that thing got abused lol and if i end up getting a 370 it will probably be the same story with lots of track days.

as far as fluids yeah you really don't have to use nissan fluids especially when it comes to the tranny before matic-s was made there was no synthetic option for auto tranny fluid from nissan and oils like amsoil universal atf meet all nissan standard and is synthetic and actually exceeds nissan standards. they just want you to use all their stuff cause it makes it easy for them cause they can look at that and right away easily rule out improper fluids if you bring it in for service. you also don't have to use their fluids for warranty so just look around a bit cause you have plenty of options
Personally, the 300v would probably be a bit overkill for the trucks...but if you abuse it, its worth it! The 300v is an Ester-based oil, so if you have a 370z, this would be what you should use as it requires an ester-based oil. I believe the maxima does as well but I can't remember.

Scott

·
Registered
318 Posts
Personally, the 300v would probably be a bit overkill for the trucks...but if you abuse it, its worth it! The 300v is an Ester-based oil, so if you have a 370z, this would be what you should use as it requires an ester-based oil. I believe the maxima does as well but I can't remember.

Scott
The 370z does not require ester oil.

Don't use racing oils in non-racing environments. The additive packages used in racing oils are not meant to be used more than a single race, and as far as I know there's not any pavement based races that exceed 600 miles.

Ester-based oils also have more trouble with dealing with moisture than PAO oils.

Use what you want, but, read up on the stuff and look past the marketing and disinformation hype.

·
Registered
267 Posts
NNA recommends the use of ester oil in the new max (not sure on the Z) but it is not required. If I remember correctly it has to do with making it quieter but that might be wrong.

·
Registered
318 Posts
NNA recommends the use of ester oil in the new max (not sure on the Z) but it is not required. If I remember correctly it has to do with making it quieter but that might be wrong.
The 370z manual also *recommends but does not require* Nissan Ester Oil - however...Nissan Ester oil is **not** an Ester base (unlike Motul v300, Redline, some others), it's regular dino oil with ester additives and nano-carbon particles to interact with the DLC on the cams (or eccentrics in the case of VVEL) - but even that isn't anything to write home about...

Nissan's Ester Oil not even a true synthetic oil, like Mobil1 or AMSoil, or a blended synthetic like Castrol, quakerstate, etc..just plain old dino oil with some additives.

There's a guy on another forum that has a 370z and has used nothing but Nissan's special oil, and he's still showing high levels of wear according to blackstone - at 14K miles. That's enough to keep me away from that stuff, especially at $14/qt from the dealer. Nuts!

·
Registered
398 Posts
To the guys with Non Nissan Fluid in the trans, did you change all the fluid at once or mix in the new stuff 5 qts at a time?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The 370z does not require ester oil.

Don't use racing oils in non-racing environments. The additive packages used in racing oils are not meant to be used more than a single race, and as far as I know there's not any pavement based races that exceed 600 miles.

Ester-based oils also have more trouble with dealing with moisture than PAO oils.

Use what you want, but, read up on the stuff and look past the marketing and disinformation hype.
i've actually read alot about it, from race team veiws on it to performance shops thoughts and plenty of people using it in plenty of performance cars. only found a couple reviews of it saying they seemed to burn a little bit of it. they were averaging a quart down every oil change but i didn't see alot of people saying this happened. the reason i'm looking into it is if i get another z it will be used as a built motor track twin turbo track car. as far as races over 600miles ever heard of the la mans...... something tells me that makes it past the 600 mile mark

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
To the guys with Non Nissan Fluid in the trans, did you change all the fluid at once or mix in the new stuff 5 qts at a time?
i bought all my fluids about a month or so ago but have been too busy and its been too cold for me to feel like doing it all but i will be doing the 2 bucket method of flush as i have done on all my vehicles before. since it currently has the factory matic j in it i got a plan on running about 15 quarts of new amsoil universal atf into it so i can be sure that most if not all of the old fluid it out of the system.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was looking in the service manual and found some interesting info. Under transmission fluid it says Nissan matic J with a star and the number 2 next to it (*2: DEXRONTM III / MERCONTM or equivalent may also be used. Outside the continental United States and Alaska contact a NISSAN dealership for more information regarding suitable fluids, including recommended brand(s) of DEXRONTM III / MERCON TM Automatic. Very Interesting isn't it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts