Nissan Frontier Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,412 Posts
The interwebs dissolved 'facts' as a thing - since one can refute/dispute anything w/ "solid" evidence...even to the contrary.

·
Registered
167 Posts
After working in Automotive R&D... Shell (horrible company but quality product)

Shell Rotella T6. It's cheap, it's quality. Yes it says it's diesel oil.... it's fine, carry on.

If you are seriously concerned.... have your oil checked at Blackstone Labs.

Here's a little report most of you might find interesting....

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Aug-17-ENG.pdf

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Shell Rotella T6. It's cheap, it's quality. Yes it says it's diesel oil.... it's fine, carry on.
Diesel engine oil will eventually cook the cats in a gas engine. It's not fine.
Otherwise it won't hurt the engine itself. Lube is not the issue, it's the cats.
The additives are different between the oils. A few oils are rated for both gas and diesel like some of the Chevron Delo oils, but without the proper gasoline rating, it is not recommended.

Gasoline rated oils begin with "S", as in SP, SN, SM, SL etc.
Diesel rated oils begin with "C" or "F".

Be careful screwing with oils. You have nothing to gain, and possibly a lot to lose by using the wrong stuff.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Diesel engine oil will eventually cook the cats in a gas engine. It's not fine.
Otherwise it won't hurt the engine itself. Lube is not the issue, it's the cats.
The additives are different between the oils. A few oils are rated for both gas and diesel like some of the Chevron Delo oils, but without the proper gasoline rating, it is not recommended.

Gasoline rated oils begin with "S", as in SP, SN, SM, SL etc.
Diesel rated oils begin with "C" or "F".

Be careful screwing with oils. You have nothing to gain, and possibly a lot to lose by using the wrong stuff.
Shell Rotella® T6 Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic

Sleeve Font Electric blue Sportswear Personal protective equipment

The old bottles will still say Diesel Oil. They've since changed it to multi. It does not mess with CATS.... it's fine.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Find a brand of oil that's rated for your vehicle and stick to it the best you can. Mixing different oils may or may not hurt it, but why chance it...especially if it's a vehicle you bought new and plan to keep it.

I do not and would not trust the dealer.. so yea always check to see if they changed filter and check for oil levels and color if you can tell. If filter was changed then they changed oil but doesn't mean it's going to look clean. Depends what they use! Comes out of 50 gal. barrels so who knows what's in them.. do what you want, just my .02

·
Registered
876 Posts
Find a brand of oil that's rated for your vehicle and stick to it the best you can. Mixing different oils may or may not hurt it, but why chance it...especially if it's a vehicle you bought new and plan to keep it.
If you're worried about mixing different oils, then buy enough oil for the lifetime of your vehicle when you buy your truck, because manufacturers routinely change oil formulations over time. For example, today's Mobil 1 isn't the same as Mobil 1 from 10 years ago.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do they all use different brands? Most dealerships use cheap stuff or whatever they can get in bulk. I always bring my own oil and oil filter so I just pay for labor (they always hate me lol). Anyway my first oil change is coming up and I plan on using oem oil for every oil change. Hopefully they would use the same but I doubt it! View attachment 355769
Do you think Nissan has its own oil refinery or Toyota ford GM

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do they all use different brands? Most dealerships use cheap stuff or whatever they can get in bulk. I always bring my own oil and oil filter so I just pay for labor (they always hate me lol). Anyway my first oil change is coming up and I plan on using oem oil for every oil change. Hopefully they would use the same but I doubt it! View attachment 355769
Bottom line. In this day and age
Bottom line, In this day and age, technology is greatly advanced. So any full synthetic oil you use will be fine as long as you change the oil every recommended interval!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
If you're worried about mixing different oils, then buy enough oil for the lifetime of your vehicle when you buy your truck, because manufacturers routinely change oil formulations over time. For example, today's Mobil 1 isn't the same as Mobil 1 from 10 years ago.
I won't be mixing oils.. once I start using a brand I stick with it, whether it changes or not!

Most vehicles aren't the same as 10 years ago either.. other than our frontiers.😁

·
Registered
13 Posts
I won't be mixing oils.. once I start using a brand I stick with it, whether it changes or not!

Most vehicles aren't the same as 10 years ago either.. other than our frontiers.😁
What ever Brand and or weight you choose to use the only " cetification/ regulation " in the U.S.A that ensures your getting what is advertised is the American Petrolium Institute Seal or "doughnut " on the bottle . It indicates that said oil has gone through testing by an independent certified lab and met or exceeded performance peraramaters and the company can repeat quality in every bottle ON SHELF FOR SALE . Look for the printed cicle that says American Petrilium Instititute Certitified API . Otherwise any company can put in what ever they want when they want to bottle a new batch of oil. With todays technology most brand are safe to use as long as you change it on time . Having said this following manufactures reconmendations is a safe bet .
Side note just " Synthetic" labeled oil is not" Full " synthetic two different animals .

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
What ever Brand and or weight you choose to use the only " cetification/ regulation " in the U.S.A that ensures your getting what is advertised is the American Petrolium Institute Seal or "doughnut " on the bottle . It indicates that said oil has gone through testing by an independent certified lab and met or exceeded performance peraramaters and the company can repeat quality in every bottle ON SHELF FOR SALE . Look for the printed cicle that says American Petrilium Instititute Certitified API . Otherwise any company can put in what ever they want when they want to bottle a new batch of oil. With todays technology most brand are safe to use as long as you change it on time . Having said this following manufactures reconmendations is a safe bet .
Side note just " Synthetic" labeled oil is not" Full " synthetic two different animals .
Yep full synthetic Mobil1 every 3k.. ol skool😊

You know.. I never really pay attention to the API but maybe I should. I just get the same mobil1 every time.. or at least I think it is.

·
Premium Member
2020 SV Crew Cab Gun Metal Midnight Edition
255 Posts
I use whatever synthetic is on sale at walmart.

Reactions: vjmvjm

·
Registered
2022 Frontier S 4x4
396 Posts
I like the SuperTech oil too… haven’t seen any available in my neck of the woods in 0-w20 in over six months. Used Mobil 1 on the first change, and I got some valvoline on deck for the next one.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
197 Posts
I've been going to Wally World since day one. My truck has 45k miles and I've never had an issue. I also had a Juke Nismo and took it to Wally World for the 6 years that I had it.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts