Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sadly it's not made specifically for your vehicle, it's not even made by Nissan, it's just oil ordered from a global distributor who glues a Nissan label on the bottle.
Most likely it is made by Warren Distribution which also makes Kirkland, Super tech, and Amazon motor oil along with some other brands. Warren has been around for years and make high quality oil.

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (30,000km)
396 Posts
I gave up on the dealer (for my 2019) after they basically refused to use 5w30 as per the owners manual and flashed me a tech bulletin (which they would not give me a copy of) which said Nissan indicated their Xw20 house oil was OK. I tried it once and there was noticeably more engine noise with the lighter oil - I changed it out less than 100km later.

I filed a complaint with Nissan Canada and have been doing my own changes (carefully documented) since. I change mine twice a year regardless of mileage because I actually put very little KM on mine (so, by mileage, I waaaay overdo it), but oil can get acidic with age as well as with use (or so I have been lead to believe).

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I gave up on the dealer (for my 2019) after they basically refused to use 5w30 as per the owners manual and flashed me a tech bulletin (which they would not give me a copy of) which said Nissan indicated their Xw20 house oil was OK. I tried it once and there was noticeably more engine noise with the lighter oil - I changed it out less than 100km later.

I filed a complaint with Nissan Canada and have been doing my own changes (carefully documented) since. I change mine twice a year regardless of mileage because I actually put very little KM on mine (so, by mileage, I waaaay overdo it), but oil can get acidic with age as well as with use (or so I have been lead to believe).
Canada is always colder than the States so I can see using 0W-20. The dealer only inventoried 0W-30 so he was selling you what he had. There is always a trade off off between gas mileage and engine protection. The noise you heard was engine parts touching each other, metal to metal. You made the right choice.

·
Registered
2018 SV Midnight Edition + 2008 Avalon XL
386 Posts
Any facts?

BTW, Supertech is made by Warren Oil, who also makes Kirkland and lots of other "store brand" products.

Add amazon basics to that list too.

Warren oil is ok. I wouldn't say it's better than all the other hyrdocracked group 3 syns out there. The add pack is ok. It provides adequate protection. It's nothing special.

I might give a slight add pack edge to castrol edge and valvoline. Both offer some unique wear modifiers. Valvoline often posts some of the lowest wear numbers on uoa's.

Vanilla mobil 1 (non ep) is really nothing special. It's just a name people see as synonymous with performance cars. Ep has some more group 4s and a better add pack, but I sure as he'll wouldn't take it to 20k or whatever ridiculous claim they have. You'd be better off with supertech changed every 5k.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Add amazon basics to that list too.

Warren oil is ok. I wouldn't say it's better than all the other hyrdocracked group 3 syns out there. The add pack is ok. It provides adequate protection. It's nothing special.

I might give a slight add pack edge to castrol edge and valvoline. Both offer some unique wear modifiers. Valvoline often posts some of the lowest wear numbers on uoa's.

Vanilla mobil 1 (non ep) is really nothing special. It's just a name people see as synonymous with performance cars. Ep has some more group 4s and a better add pack, but I sure as he'll wouldn't take it to 20k or whatever ridiculous claim they have. You'd be better off with supertech changed every 5k.
I definitely change my oil every 5000 miles, the dealership tries to talk me out of it and I always make sure they do, I check the oil right after, they also say they washed my car but it’s still dirty lol. I didn’t know that about super tech, maybe I’ll start using that, I just always grew up with my dad using Mobil 1, So naturally so did I

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I do my own service work. Oil containers are stamped/labeled with the specifications from the government that they meet.

I wouldn't trust a quick-lube place not to strip the drain plug, and ANYWHERE I might use, I'd check the oil level BEFORE leaving their property.

Reactions: mjdean89

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I do my own service work. Oil containers are stamped/labeled with the specifications from the government that they meet.

I wouldn't trust a quick-lube place not to strip the drain plug, and ANYWHERE I might use, I'd check the oil level BEFORE leaving their property.
I completely understand, so will lie after my warranty is up. However I get free oil changes, also I like having the maintenance records

·
Registered
701 Posts
Any oil will work if you change it with discipline.
I don’t like to change oils, pick one and stay with it. And with Castrol Edge costing $22 bucks on Amazon I don’t mess with cheap stuff to save $5.
Especially important to use quality oil, full syn, with the gdi 3.8.
Do use the oem filters for now.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Dealer ef-ups, over charging, getting my interior dirty, leaving the fill cap off...... All reasons nobody touches my stuff!! I'm a maintenance technican, once an auto mechanic. I find it way inconvenient to schedule the work, then wait, while in the back of my mind, thinking, "what are they gonna mess up!" So I do my own work, except alignments

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Idemitsu fluids is factory fill oem, but it doesn't matter, it's just a contract they have with the company. The gtr was factory filled with castrol. All dealerships are independent and have they're own contracts to supply oil, it's all a marketing game.
Your engine isn't designed around a particular brand of oil, but around fluid specifications.

Reactions: vjmvjm

·
Registered
631 Posts
Mobil1 EP 5w-30 is under $27 bucks at wally's and has a $10.00 rebate right now - 2 max rebates. Wally's delivers for free if you buy $35.00 of stuff at a time. Its the only rebate I do - its all online and takes like a minute. I also subscribe to 5000 mile changes so I am sure it is quite fine for me.

I used to use Castrol Magnatek forever in my fronty when it was 20 bucks - but its price went way up. I would again if the price came back down.

My 2008 Xterra spent most of its life on dino oil, changed at factory recommended 3750 mile intervals. It has over 380,000 miles now - still going strong. They don't really sell pure dino oil anymore so I upgraded to Chevron Supreme synthetic blend delivered for 15 bucks also from China mart. Its also highly rated on BITOG.

I have never used the Warren Industries stuff, but there are plenty of guys that swear by it.

·
Premium Member
8,412 Posts
Of the 3 Nissan dealerships I've dealt with, all had a 'synthetic-blend' as their "synthetic oil" choice. Whether a big or small deal in the long run, it feels like a cop-out.

·
Registered
2021 Pro 4x
292 Posts
If the oil meets the mfg spec that's all you need, brand and additives etc are just marketing designed to separate you from your money.

If it needed some special whiz bang additive the mfg would specify that.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts