Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done it? Looking at the fische, it looks as though the LE is a one piece from the headlights down, while mine has 2 pieces. Just wondering whats needed to make the swap. Also, does the WRF bar still fit the LE's? I want to color match the front bumper, and I've been advised this is the only way. I know it's a controversial topic, but every body shop I've asked says paint will not stick permanantly to chrome.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
just paint your chrome bumper the same color as your truck lot easier

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
dont know about it fitting but i think it should...

the white rhino bar will fit, but you have to drill new holes in the bar and line them up with the metal tabs behind the plastic(vertically) behind the bumper. that and 4 bolts into the radiator brackets and it will hole.

on second thought, i dont know about swapping... the metal tabs will be abscent on a truck with the chrome bumper.

good luck

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dont know about it fitting but i think it should...

the white rhino bar will fit, but you have to drill new holes in the bar and line them up with the metal tabs behind the plastic(vertically) behind the bumper. that and 4 bolts into the radiator brackets and it will hole.

on second thought, i dont know about swapping... the metal tabs will be abscent on a truck with the chrome bumper.

good luck
Bummer, sounds like I've got some research to do.

Irongrave, I'd love to, but can't do it for the reasons I stated. Kinda don't want to waste the effort and $$$ on a chance it MIGHT work. I may just do the grille for now, I'm told the fake chrome will take paint ok if prepped right....

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
the body shops you talked to dont want to do the prep work, paint will stick to it just fine

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the body shops you talked to dont want to do the prep work, paint will stick to it just fine
So I called a couple more, every one I talked to refuses to even try it. After researching the internet, it sounds like it can be done though. The advice is to rough up with 80 grit, then go finer until it's smooth. Self etching primer, then traditional primer and paint is all it takes. Kinda SOL until I find a shop willing to give it a go though.....

·
Registered
644 Posts
You could always get the chrome bumpers powdercoated if you're willing to spend the money. I found a local shop that did mine for a great price.

90% sheen/gloss black powdercoat with another layer of clear powdercoat:
The powdercoat gets a lot of swirls from mud/dirt, but no chipping, yet.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
So I called a couple more, every one I talked to refuses to even try it. After researching the internet, it sounds like it can be done though. The advice is to rough up with 80 grit, then go finer until it's smooth. Self etching primer, then traditional primer and paint is all it takes. Kinda SOL until I find a shop willing to give it a go though.....
Are you talking about the grill or the bumper. I painted my grill and bumper at the same time with the same paint and the same prep work. My bumper is beyond ugly. It is chipped so bad, ya dont know if it was chrome and the black is chipping off or was it black and the chrome is chipping off!

But my grill is 100% perfect tho!

You could always get the chrome bumpers powdercoated if you're willing to spend the money. I found a local shop that did mine for a great price.

90% sheen/gloss black powdercoat with another layer of clear powdercoat:
How much was it if you dont mind me asking.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Talking about the bumper Jordo. None of the shops will touch either though, which is complete BS.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would go the powder coat route, there should not be much of a cost difference between powder coating and painting. Doing a proper paint job on it would be more expensive in my opinion but it depends on how much your local powder coaters charge. Something this big you will not have to worry about the lot minimums.
If I had to guess what my guys would charge it would be between $60 and $80.

·
Registered
644 Posts
How much was it if you dont mind me asking.
I called around to 4 coating shops before I found my shop. All of them wanted between $150 - $250 per bumper...and that is only one coat (no clear coat)...but that's in Cali. It all depends on where you live. Everything seems to cost more in CA.

I worked out a really good deal with my shop, though, and got them to do black for $75 and a second clear powdercoat for $50 (so that's $125 for each bumper, with 2 separate coatings).

·
Registered
839 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had mine bumper change after my accident. I like it alot better... Its a one piece plastic unit...
So I assume you have the LE steup then? Do you know what was needed to do the conversion?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sandblast the chrome. Use epoxy self etching primer. Use a quality finishing primer then base coat and clear coat and you are done. I have painted chrome with no more issues than spraying steel fenders. It's all prep and most shops hate doing the prep. Hours of prep for 20 minutes of spraying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am also interested in going from the Nismo front bumper to the one piece LE style. Is it a straight swap using the same brackets and hardware or is there some fabrication necessary? I love all the "chrome" on my Nismo but I've never been a fan of chrome bumpers since they are so cheap now and get pitted so easily. The one piece looks sleeker to me.

thanks

RC
05 Frontier Nismo

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've been wanting to do a bumper swap with a 05-08 nissan pathfinder. their bumpers look better than the frontiers to me

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I assume you have the LE steup then? Do you know what was needed to do the conversion?
Hey toryroyve...

The front bumper on an LE is one piece plastic molded. On the SE, NISMO it is two pieces; upper is plastic to match your paint and the chrome bottom section. How do I know this... I tore my bumper, it literally ripped along where it snaps to the fender on the passenger side. A one piece OEM was $400 Canadian.... so you should be able to get one for about $300 USD... and then sell your chrome for a few buck.

Funny enough I am picking up the truck after work today... I'll see if they still have the torn one... you can have it! It may be repaired.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts