Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Nismo Thermostat review

13K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  minitruckin 
#1 ·
Since I installed the 350Z Nismo Thermostat a couple weeks ago(during my cam install), I've had some time to moniter engine temps and heater use & thought I would pass it on. I've driven a couple hundred miles and in temperatures ranging from 30F-65F over 9 days and about 10 start/shutoff cycles with the Nismo thermostat
1)So far I have had no heater issues. Drove this morning in pretty cool 30deg temps(I know not super cold). Heater got to warm temperatures just like normal. After maybe 5 minutes I actually had to bring the fan speed to 1 and turn the temp dial to about 2/3 hot level. Pretty much left it there most of the time. I'm pretty cold blooded, but I'm totally satisfied with my trucks heating ability using the Nismo 350Z thermostat.
2)I did 3 datalogs today and compared them with about 12 others I have over the last year(Used Cipher). The Stock 350Z datalogs consisted of 4 from January, 4 from March, and 4 from July of last year. During ALL 4 time periods, some of the datalogs were taking while just cruising and some were taken under heavy acceleration.
Remember the 12 datalogs taken from last year were with a Stock 350Z thermostat and the lastest were with a Nismo 350Z thermostat. I unfortunately never got to test the Stock Frontier thermostat. Didn't have Cipher at that time to do so. Also note these datalogs were all taken once the engine was up to normal operating temperatures.
--------------------------------------
Nismo 350Z--Low Operating Temp-168F
Nismo 350Z--Average Temp-172F
Nismo 350Z--High Operating Temp-176F
---------------------------------------
Stock 350Z--Low Opertaing Temp-174F
Stock 350Z--Average Temp-178F
Stock 350Z--High Opertaing Temp-185F
---------------------------------------
A few observations I made were--
1)Overall I run 6-9 deg cooler with the Nismo 350Z vs Stock 350Z thermostat.
2)With both thermostats, the highest temps AND lowest temps were reached while sitting or just putting slowly around.
3)The "average" was pretty much were my engine temps stayed while cruising, whether it was 35mph or 65mph. Again this was true with both thermostats.
4)The Nismo 350Z thermostat cycled faster than the Stock 350Z thermostat.
5)My engine temps last summer were not any hotter that the temps last winter.

See less See more
#3 ·
While I think the Nismo thermostat is a good choice for me, I would say for most people the stock 350Z is the smarter choice. Its not quite as good as the Nismo one, but it's better than the stock Frontier one, and it's about $100 cheaper.
About the Efans, I dont have any plans in the near future. The only mod plans in the near future are Trutrac and 4.10 gears just a little later this year.

#4 ·
Why do you say either is better than the stock Frontier? You have no data?
And the stock one costs $0 extra.

#5 ·
you obviously dont know the points of changing out thermostats

thats awesome rdr i am trying to find another stat when i do my efans sometime down the road.

#8 ·
True, running cooler does allow you to running more advanced timing. But engines running hot often get heat soaked in normal traffic situations. Heat soaked engines will produce less power. Engines like cool temperatures for better performance. I know I've had heat soak problems at the track before just waiting in line for my turn. Run a lot of back to back runs and your times usually get worse, usually to your engine getting heat soaked. I've also seen many trucks getting tuned(me, shiner, thillskier) that the heat was hurting their power. Sitting on the dyno, most of us were getting close to 200F. With no other changes done, after letting the engines cool just a little, maybe to 190F, often increased the horsepower readings about 5whp. Maybe not much, but the difference of a stock frontier thermostat sitting in traffic getting maybe 195F or so versus a cooler running frontier with a Nismo thermostat sitting at a highest observed temp at 176F should make a measurable horsepower difference. Might be only 5 horsepower, but I'll take what ever easy gains I can get.

#9 ·
The stock thermostat is rated to open at 182*. I know my truck usually runs at 190-192, and in the heat of summer can go as high as 199.

#10 ·
If I am going to replace the thermostat in my 2006 Nismo what year does the 350z thermostat need to be and how much do they cost? I'm not familiar with the z's.

And you are saying that in some situations there should be an increase in power even before I do anything else like advance the timing? Maybe at the small expense of emissions and a slight loss in fuel economy? (probably the reasons it doesn't come this way stock)

#11 ·
It's not that it technically gives you horsepower, it's just that a cooler running engine via a cooler thermostat(read Nismo or even stock 350Z) allows your engine to perform at its best at all times. If your stock frontier thermostat allows your engine to get hotter than optimum for performance, and in most cases they do, than the cooler thermostat will give you a horsepower increase.
About the year Z to get, I'm not sure which one I had, I think it was a 2004. However they are all stamped on the side what temp. they are rated at. My old Z thermostat was rated at 76.5C. So iif you get it at a local dealer, just ask to see it before you buy it.

#12 ·
Ok, I think I got it. The frontier and the z thermostats are the same except for the temp rating and there are no compatibility issues to worry about.

#13 ·
That is correct. I've now have had the stock frontier, stock 350Z, and currently the Nismo 350Z thermostat. They are all mechanically the same except the temperature that they operate at. No issues with any. And like I noted earlier, unless you are going pretty serious with your mods, the stock 350Z is a great choice mainly because of its price. The Nismo one is the best, but at $110-$150 for it vs $20-30 for a 350Z thermostat, for most its overpriced for the extra 6-8 degrees it keeps you cooler over a stock 350Z thermostat. But for people going beyond the basic bolt-ons, like me, the Nismo one is a good choice.

#14 ·
Just to clarify, in another thread it was discovered that there are some z Tstats that don't fit. Something about it missing the heater tube part. I know for sure thou, the 07 Z tstat works.

Also, if you are swapping Tstats, you might as well swap the gasket to ensure it doesn't leak.

#15 ·
OMG, $110-$150 for thermostat!
Last time I bought one was for an '81 Ram and it couldn't have been more than $2, but if it does yield 5 HP or so it's worth it when you consider a CAI (etc.) cost 2X-3X as much and maybe gives 5-7 HP.

Now about heat soak. I don't see an advantage there. No matter what thermostat you have it will be wide open when you are in bumper-to-bumper traffic, A/C blasting and it's a million degrees out. I can see it beneficial in normal driving though (moving).

#16 ·
#19 · (Edited)
That was a great write-up Colton. You rgreat luck with it is the main reason I decided to fork out the extra bucks for the Nismo thermostat insteading of hanging on to my 350Z thermostat.

Just to clarify, in another thread it was discovered that there are some z Tstats that don't fit. Something about it missing the heater tube part. I know for sure thou, the 07 Z tstat works.

Also, if you are swapping Tstats, you might as well swap the gasket to ensure it doesn't leak.
I don't doubt that some are different. I also understand some are rated at different temperatures too. Thats why its a good idea to pick it up at a local dealer so you can see it before you by it. Also I know the nismo thermostat came with a gasket. I think they stock 350Z did too, but I"m not sure.

#17 ·
just a quick question, if i got it right to do the 350z tstat you have to buy the housing and all that too, well why not just get this nismo tstat from the nismo shop thats direct bolt in for $100 bucks The Nismo Shop : West Covina Nissan : Nismo Thermostat 1998-2008 or would this one not give the cooling you wanted

#18 · (Edited)
No colin, on the frontier, 350Z, and the nismo thermostats, they all come as a complete assembly-housing & thermostat-as one piece. They are all totally interchangeable. It's just that the frontier and stock 350Z one is much cheaper.

OMG, $110-$150 for thermostat!
Last time I bought one was for an '81 Ram and it couldn't have been more than $2, but if it does yield 5 HP or so it's worth it when you consider a CAI (etc.) cost 2X-3X as much and maybe gives 5-7 HP.

Now about heat soak. I don't see an advantage there. No matter what thermostat you have it will be wide open when you are in bumper-to-bumper traffic, A/C blasting and it's a million degrees out. I can see it beneficial in normal driving though (moving).
Yes they are very expensive for a thermostat and thats why I bought the 350Z one last year for about $25. But with my recent cam install I figured it was as good a time as ever if I wanted to get the best cooling for my truck, so I bit the bullet and bought the pricey Nismo one.

#21 ·
Thanks for the info. I've been wondering whether it would get too cool and not put out enough heat in the winter. BTW, you don't still have the 350Z stat you like to get rid of do you?:)

#22 ·
PM sent.

#26 ·
Good luck Kenny! you shouldn't have any problems with throwing codes. when refilling jack the front up as high as you can safely and let it run and keep filling the reservoir till it stops sucking it up. we have a self bleed system. Mhannis can provide a little more detail if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.