Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw this for 34 on 4x4parts the other day

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/nismo-radiator-cap-p-3071.html

Any opinions on the benefits of swapping out the stock cap for one capable of higher pressures? The reason I ask is because I'm finding my truck runs a little hot, and a mechanic mentioned to me that a higher pressure radiator cap can help with this.

I'm not interested in going to a 350z tstat, it gets pretty bloody cold here in the winter, so would this be a viable alternative?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
This may work but nothing as well as an standard 350z Tstat. Heck, our local autozone/advanced store sells the same 170deg for both the Frontier and the 350z.

Now if you went NismoZ, that would be a bit cold.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
This may work but nothing as well as an standard 350z Tstat. Heck, our local autozone/advanced store sells the same 170deg for both the Frontier and the 350z.

Now if you went NismoZ, that would be a bit cold.
I checked these out before I got a true nissan one, and although they are rated at a lower temp, they still open at the factory temp. It's stampedon the side of them in celsius and I tried the boiling water method. Returned it the same day.

Anyways, the nissan 350z stat will befine. I had mine in most of the winter and it still produces great heat

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
saw this for 34 on 4x4parts the other day

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/nismo-radiator-cap-p-3071.html

Any opinions on the benefits of swapping out the stock cap for one capable of higher pressures? The reason I ask is because I'm finding my truck runs a little hot, and a mechanic mentioned to me that a higher pressure radiator cap can help with this.

I'm not interested in going to a 350z tstat, it gets pretty bloody cold here in the winter, so would this be a viable alternative?
how hot and was he a nissan mechanic?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how hot and was he a nissan mechanic?
in the summer it'll get up to 200 F or hotter, but usually sits around 196, mechanic was from a local shop

And when i mean cold guys i don't mean regular cold, starting it up in -30 F happens more times than i care to think

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
in the summer it'll get up to 200 F or hotter, but usually sits around 196, mechanic was from a local shop

And when i mean cold guys i don't mean regular cold, starting it up in -30 F happens more times than i care to think
thats the normal for these motors. the first fan doesn't even kick on till 205 or 208.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
nismo radiator cap may be rated for a few more degrees than stock but it's mostly for looks only

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
If you're running hot, then you have a heat transfer problem. I suspect that your OE radiator cap is popping open which is how you know you're running hot. Putting the Nismo cap on will only push the pop point higher because you still have a heat transfer problem. This does you no good for a variety of reasons.

A lower temp T-Stat may or may not help. Removing the T-Stat will work during the summer months.

So back to the heat transfer issue. Why is the radiator not working as it should? Is there a blockage on the outside. Are some of the channels dinged? Are the internal channels full of crud?

How about the water pump? Is it circulating as it should?

The upper and lower radiator hoses can be crushed by vacuum created during cool-down. Check them out to see if they're OK.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
^^ this is the right question. On my truck I started noticing that it was running hot and tried a bunch of differant things until one day i noticed that mud pours out of my radiator when i hit it with a hose. I took the front grill off and really went to town with the hose. You would not beleive how much mud and crud poured out of there!

I spent at least 1 hour hosing mud out of the radiator and since then it has never even got close to the 1/2 way point on the temp gauge. So lesson learned, now part of any post offroad adventure I include the radiator as a key part of the cleaning process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts