Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Posting a few pics of the Nismo Off Road Axis wheels on my 3rd gen since I couldn't find any on street trucks when researching for myself. While I enjoyed the design and darker color of the Premium wheels, the faux beadlock look just wasn't my bag of doughnuts...

Despite the Nismo wheels appearing smaller in diameter due to spoke/face design, both wheels are identical in size and offset at 17x7.5 +30mm. The Nismo wheels, however, save a staggering 8-lbs of unsprung rotational mass per corner (give or take a few ounces for valve stem and balancing weights).

Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire White Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m with you on the wheels. Part of the reason I didn’t go for the premium package. I think the Nismo look much better. Like the look of you truck so far.

Curious as I’m now looking for a bed cover, which one do you have there and how do you like it? Looks like the style I want.

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
597 Posts
Looks great. I really like the Nismos on my 2nd gen. I like that Nissan kept the same wheel specs on the new truck so you can use anything from either platform on the other. I kind of think the 3rd gen standard pro4x Non-beadlock rims would look good on my second gen. I like that most of the 3rd gens are 17’s also which is the perfect rim size IMO.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier Pro4x Glacier White
76 Posts
Looks great. I really like the Nismos on my 2nd gen. I like that Nissan kept the same wheel specs on the new truck so you can use anything from either platform on the other. I kind of think the 3rd gen standard pro4x Non-beadlock rims would look good on my second gen. I like that most of the 3rd gens are 17’s also which is the perfect rim size IMO.
If I can find some black beadlocks , my Pro4x wheels will be available. Wink wink @v24design

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m with you on the wheels. Part of the reason I didn’t go for the premium package. I think the Nismo look much better. Like the look of you truck so far.

Curious as I’m now looking for a bed cover, which one do you have there and how do you like it? Looks like the style I want.
Thanks... I have the Tonno Pro LoRoll from the 2nd gen... Took a lot of finessing to make it work.

If I can find some black beadlocks , my Pro4x wheels will be available. Wink wink @v24design
Oh, those old things? ;) They're listed on local craigslist for sale...

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hubcap
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
14 Posts
where did you find black lugs and do you have any part numbers? if srick does not make you an offer on the beadlocks maybe we can work out a deal. I would be interested to know what the weight of my SV wheels are? guess I will have to remove them to find out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
where did you find black lugs and do you have any part numbers? if srick does not make you an offer on the beadlocks maybe we can work out a deal. I would be interested to know what the weight of my SV wheels are? guess I will have to remove them to find out.
Got the black lugs off Amazon. It's a 24pc spline drive kit in M12x1.25. Generally lug nuts indicated as "tuner style" will have the taper needed to seat properly on lug-centric aftermarket wheels... The factory Premium wheels also accommodate a tapered seat, so that should work as well.

You can message me regarding the wheels if interested, they're still available.

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x
31 Posts
Posting a few pics of the Nismo Off Road Axis wheels on my 3rd gen since I couldn't find any on street trucks when researching for myself. While I enjoyed the design and darker color of the Premium wheels, the faux beadlock look just wasn't my bag of doughnuts...

Despite the Nismo wheels appearing smaller in diameter due to spoke/face design, both wheels are identical in size and offset at 17x7.5 +30mm. The Nismo wheels, however, save a staggering 8-lbs of unsprung rotational mass per corner (give or take a few ounces for valve stem and balancing weights).

View attachment 337405 View attachment 337408 View attachment 337403 View attachment 337409
Sick!! Those look awesome!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got the black lugs off Amazon. It's a 24pc spline drive kit in M12x1.25. Generally lug nuts indicated as "tuner style" will have the taper needed to seat properly on lug-centric aftermarket wheels... The factory Premium wheels also accommodate a tapered seat, so that should work as well.

You can message me regarding the wheels if interested, they're still available.
I just got my wheels, and am set to have them mounted tomorrow, only thing Is the lugs I ordered from z1 are back ordered for about two weeks. I removed one lug and noticed it was conical and should fit the axis wheels. However when I emailed z1 and asked if the lugs would fit. They said the factory lug nuts are a little too short but never specifically said, no they won’t fit. What’s your take?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got my wheels, and am set to have them mounted tomorrow, only thing Is the lugs I ordered from z1 are back ordered for about two weeks. I removed one lug and noticed it was conical and should fit the axis wheels. However when I emailed z1 and asked if the lugs would fit. They said the factory lug nuts are a little too short but never specifically said, no they won’t fit. What’s your take?
The offset of the factory wheel and Nismo wheel are the same, and the factory wheels accommodate tapered lug nuts, so I can’t think of any immediate reason why the stock lug nuts wouldn’t work.

If you want to be extra cautious, you can check how deep the factory lug nut depth is using a small long object (straw, toothpick, etc) and mark the depth then compare to the amount of lug bolt that comes out past the wheels hub taper.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The offset of the factory wheel and Nismo wheel are the same, and the factory wheels accommodate tapered lug nuts, so I can’t think of any immediate reason why the stock lug nuts wouldn’t work.

If you want to be extra cautious, you can check how deep the factory lug nut depth is using a small long object (straw, toothpick, etc) and mark the depth then compare to the amount of lug bolt that comes out past the wheels hub taper.
Gotcha, will do rn and get back. Although I suspect it will be okay. Based of this picture, unless they used different lugs, but I’m willing to bet it’s the factory ones.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yup! Those are stock lug nuts. I can tell because they sit further in than my spline drive lug nuts.

You’ll be fine!
Yup!! Stock lug nut depth was 4cm. The bolt at the taper has about 2.5-3cm of thread on bead-lock style wheel. On the nismo wheels, it looks like you get a little more thread maybe 3-3.5cm if not the same as the faux beadlock.

Hand Vision care Eyewear Writing implement Office supplies

Finger Thumb Nail Writing implement Office supplies

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
597 Posts
I’m not sure if the third gen uses the same lug nuts as the second gen but I would imagine they do. The stock lug nuts “worked” on my axis wheels but the coating on them was getting rubbed off pretty bad when torqued to the wheels. They also didn’t have a bulge seat so it was almost as if the taper seat in the Nismo rims was larger than the lug nut seat. They worked to drive on but something about it didn’t feel right which is why Z1 recommends going to others. Myself and a few other people on FB said the same thing too. I was one of the first people to have the wheels and when I took them back off to redo the torque (I never trust discount tire torque), first thing I noticed was how they didn’t feel right.

Also the stock nuts are so tiny that it’s hard to get them onto the lug stud with the deep holes in the Nismos. I ultimately bought a bunch of McGard M12-1.25 bulge seat nuts which are longer and the bulge seat is what the wheels seemed to really need for proper fitment. Keep in mind this is all on a second gen, but considering the things Nissan reused on the 3rd gen, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the tiny stock lug nuts are reused too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’m not sure if the third gen uses the same lug nuts as the second gen but I would imagine they do. The stock lug nuts “worked” on my axis wheels but the coating on them was getting rubbed off pretty bad when torqued to the wheels. They also didn’t have a bulge seat so it was almost as if the taper seat in the Nismo rims was larger than the lug nut seat. They worked to drive on but something about it didn’t feel right which is why Z1 recommends going to others. Myself and a few other people on FB said the same thing too. I was one of the first people to have the wheels and when I took them back off to redo the torque (I never trust discount tire torque), first thing I noticed was how they didn’t feel right.

Also the stock nuts are so tiny that it’s hard to get them onto the lug stud with the deep holes in the Nismos. I ultimately bought a bunch of McGard M12-1.25 bulge seat nuts which are longer and the bulge seat is what the wheels seemed to really need for proper fitment. Keep in mind this is all on a second gen, but considering the things Nissan reused on the 3rd gen, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the tiny stock lug nuts are reused too.
Gotcha, looks like theirs three types of oem lug nuts. Do you know which ones you had? I also ordered some off of z1, but they are on back order. Not an issue for me, but someone is supposed to drive up from socal to pick up my current wheel set. If it works I’ll run them until I get the z1 ones in.
Household hardware Font Gas Automotive lighting Auto part

Font Rectangle Fashion accessory Transparency Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
597 Posts
Gotcha, looks like theirs two types of oem lug nuts. Do you know which ones you had? I also ordered some off of z1, but they are on back order. Not an issue for me, but someone is supposed to drive up from socal to pick up my current wheel set. If it works I’ll run them until I get the z1 ones in View attachment 338200
View attachment 338201
I had a style like the “tall” acorns in the second pic, but they were not that tall. As far as I know there were only two OEM styles, a small acorn like I had, and your top pic which was for steel wheels. As far as I know all the aluminum/alloy wheels (PRO-4X, SL, Midnight, SV) all uses the same tiny acorns I had. Maybe it’s just the pic but I certainly would not describe what I had as tall like Z1 did. And I def didn’t have the top ones, those are for steel wheels and I’ve seen them used in that application.

Nope: just found the short versions on Z1 and they are literally called that. These are definitely what I had and I know the midnights used them too. Not sure about SL or SV. SL is basically the same wheel as a midnight so I’m guessing it uses the short ones. SV maybe uses the tall ones, I dunno.

the main problem with the short ones was the lack of bulge seat, which is Problem on the tall ones too. The Nismo cone seat is larger. Bulge seats from mcgard seemed to be a better fit that gripped the wheel better. I’m sure either can work, and I did drive 150 miles on my short ones with the Nismos, but when I took them off and refastened, it definitely did not feel right.

Z1 short lug nut

1 - 20 of 28 Posts