Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey some of these questions might sound really dumb and what-not but I have a 2006 cc nismo that I take off-roading occasionally and I just want some input on how NOT to totally destroy it but have some fun at the same time haha...that IS what the nismo is built for.

Q1- How deep of water can I go without a snorkel but with a 2.5" suspension lift without destroying the alternator???

Q2- Why do i see awesome videos of people burning out and doing donuts off-road...and when I go to do that fun stuff my slip light comes on and the engine slows the speed down to about 35 mph max even with the pedal depressed to the floor and I look like a poser tryin to spin the back tires. haha

Any and all information would be helpful...sorry to sound like a noob but I just don't wanna destroy my baby. :):):)

·
Registered
431 Posts
A1- water up 2 the top of the fenders voids warramty & if thats not a concern then id say just be VERY careful when ur exhaust goes under & kno that chances r you'll break drivetrain/steering components long before you ruin an alternator (this i know from experience) & always check depth before entering water

A2- the slip light is there 2 just basically tell u that ur losing traction as far as i know it serves no other function and the reason u cant go over 35 is because your slippin! ur not gonna go anywhere when your tires are just spinning in place!

hope that helped! :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kno what the light is telling me....once the tire starts slipping it immediatly cuts the power to the engine and causes the tires to not spin AT ALL...traction control just kicks in and ruins all the fun haha. I don't know how/if you can turn traction control off.

watch in this video how his tires are just goin' buck wild and kickin up dirt...that what i want to do but it just wont let me?

YouTube - NISMO Frontier offroading

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a 2007 Nismo and I have to hit the VDC control button to turn the traction control off in order to spin the tires like a drifter. The button should be the second from the left of the 4 wheel drive selector switch under the radio. The light will light up in yellow-orange on the dash and that will allow you to burn through your tires at a much quicker pace.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh...that would make sense. I'll have to try that this weekend haha. Thanks for the tips.:goodjob:

·
Registered
509 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice write up...I will definetly be doing this mod.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
the slip light indicates that the truck has noticed a substantial speed difference between the rear tires and is activating the ABLS (ActiveBrakeLimitedSlip) and is applying the brakes to the wheel with excessive spinning to slow it down and put more power to the wheel with grip, it also in extreme situations of slipping will cut back the throttle. the slip light also indicates that the brakes are being individually applied to the 4 wheels to prevent and help control sliding. the VDC helps prevent side to side sliding like in turns and can be turned off but no factory button can turn off the ABLS (or traction control). its all in the manual.

·
Registered
431 Posts
my 08 nismo didnt have VDC :mrgreen:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's quite annoying trying to do donuts in the dirt when my friends are running circles around me haha.:thatswck:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
turning off the vdc will help a bit when trying to spin but it will still be there but even with built in traction control system i've never had problems drifting in snow or mud or gravel

·
Registered
431 Posts
^ very true ABS sucks in the dirt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts