Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Nissan frontier nismo runs fine however when you switch off it will not restart you have to wait about an hour

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well think you at least have a start I ain't in front of it but sounds like its thermal to me maybe a coil starter something electrical how does it turn over is it at speed or chug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well think you at least have a start I ain't in front of it but sounds like its thermal to me maybe a coil starter something electrical how does it turn over is it at speed or chug
it will turn over at full speed but no joy

·
Registered
645 Posts
An there's no check engine light an/or codes stored ???

Everything I say is grasping at straws here cause I can not see it or feel it but I think you got no "joy" cause you have either no spark or fuel.

Does it have any problems when you do have it running like loss of power or stumbling when jump on the pedal or trying to accelerate

Being it is an 05' how many miles? maybe fuel pump getting hot or regulator

Again I am just grasping at straws here if you do not have any codes to go on you really need to start eliminating things ie testing the ignition for spark fuel for pressure

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An there's no check engine light an/or codes stored ???

Everything I say is grasping at straws here cause I can not see it or feel it but I think you got no "joy" cause you have either no spark or fuel.

Does it have any problems when you do have it running like loss of power or stumbling when jump on the pedal or trying to accelerate

Being it is an 05' how many miles? maybe fuel pump getting hot or regulator

Again I am just grasping at straws here if you do not have any codes to go on you really need to start eliminating things ie testing the ignition for spark fuel for pressure
No there are no codes I paid for a diag and they said that they cannot find anything .when it runs it is fine no problems that’s why I cannot figure it out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might be leaky fuel injectors.
When hot you need less fuel to start and if leaking it's too much so it acts like it's flooded and won't fire.
When cold you need a bit more fuel so it fires right up.
Thanks I will check the fuel system tomorrow and see what I can find

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had an Explorer that did the exact same thing - turned out to be a bad crankshaft position sensor- never caused the engine light to come on. Replaced it on a suggestion that it was bad - never had another issue with it for years after.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had an Explorer that did the exact same thing - turned out to be a bad crankshaft position sensor- never caused the engine light to come on. Replaced it on a suggestion that it was bad - never had another issue with it for years after.
thanks much will try that

·
Registered
443 Posts
thanks much will try that
Think about pulling relay R2 and R9 - look for corrosion in the sockets where you pulled the relays from. The relay box is under the hood. If you find corrosion, clean it the best you can (with battery disconnected). Baking soda and water is pretty good at cleaning corrosion, but don't reconnect the battery until everything is dry. If there's a junkyard year you, you can probably find some inexpensive relays to swap out as cheap troubleshooting. If you do this, make sure you get them from a Nissan and make sure the relay pin orientation, size, shape and pin count are exactly the same as what you already have. Helps if you take a pic of your relay box and bring your two relays with you to compare to what you find. If you find a Frontier in that junkyard, the relay layout appears to be the same from 2005 to 2010. R2 is identified as "Engine Control" and R9 is "Ignition." (I found this info online).

One more thing: make sure the battery ground cable is tight and clean on both ends of the battery cable - this is important. I read about a Frontier that would crank, but not start - and it was caused by poor ground connection from the battery to the engine. Because I read that, I suggested earlier in this thread about trying a jumper cable from the negative battery terminal to a metal part of the engine. Make sure you try that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think about pulling relay R2 and R9 - look for corrosion in the sockets where you pulled the relays from. The relay box is under the hood. If you find corrosion, clean it the best you can (with battery disconnected). Baking soda and water is pretty good at cleaning corrosion, but don't reconnect the battery until everything is dry. If there's a junkyard year you, you can probably find some inexpensive relays to swap out as cheap troubleshooting. If you do this, make sure you get them from a Nissan and make sure the relay pin orientation, size, shape and pin count are exactly the same as what you already have. Helps if you take a pic of your relay box and bring your two relays with you to compare to what you find. If you find a Frontier in that junkyard, the relay layout appears to be the same from 2005 to 2010. R2 is identified as "Engine Control" and R9 is "Ignition." (I found this info online).

View attachment 324339

One more thing: make sure the battery ground cable is tight and clean on both ends of the battery cable - this is important. I read about a Frontier that would crank, but not start - and it was caused by poor ground connection from the battery to the engine. Because I read that, I suggested earlier in this thread about trying a jumper cable from the negative battery terminal to a metal part of the engine. Make sure you try that.
Much thank will also give this a try however i purchased the Nissan relays and that did not help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts