Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've got an 03 CC Fronty that the previous owner had a magnaflow muffler welded into the stock tubing which sounds pretty good. The inlet tube has now broken off of the muffler case and thus needs to be replaced. Since all the rest of the tubing is getting rusted anyway, I want to put on a full cat back system on. I can get the Nismo system for $350 from 4x4parts, or Midas will fab up the whole thing with Magnaflow muffler for $350.

So my question is, for those of you that have experience with one or both, what do you recommend?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I have the Nismo and it's solid fit an finish. I'd be curious to know the difference in sound if you got the Nismo installed. At 70mph my Nismo sounds like there is a hole in the muffler (loud in the cab).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yea, but almost every vehicle I've ever had that had a good sounding exhaust on it had the same drone sound. So It's all in what do you want a great sounding exhaust or a quite cab?

It must not be too bad though, the wife hasn't said anything about it.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
It must not be too bad though, the wife hasn't said anything about it.

This is how I rate all our items around the home!

If you can get you wife to accept it then you have won the battle. If not your doomed. :nana:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, for those who are curious, I went with the Nismo cat back off the Ebay link posted above. Overall, sounds almost identical to the Magnaflow that was welded in there before which is fine with me. The Nismo is a really nice kit though, installed very easily. This disassembly on the other hand sucked.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
looks good man! i wish i would of did more reasearch on exhaust systems before i bought my magnaflow catback, i would of went with the nismo instead.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Double check...

At the rear of the muffler check the connection clamp and pipe. When I bolted mine together everything seemed to fit perfectly. However that was not the case. I found that this last connection onto the muffler was pulled out just enough to allow for water vapor to spit out on top the axle.

The fix was to pull the two together and this met that the rubber hanger (far back one) needed to be pulled forward to make the connection tighter on the back of the muffler.

When I did this I noticed less drone on the highway at 70 mph. Also this moved the muffler sound back.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have the Nismo and for me, yes it's way too loud. I dynamatted my whole cab and its still too loud.

I finally couldn't take it anymore and cut the muffler out and put in a Walker Quiet Flow muffler which was the same dimensions and now it's quiet even at a full throttle take off.

I can finally enjoy my stereo again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ty,
I wouldn't regret the Magnaflow, like I said it sounds the same. I doubt theres any real performance difference between the two.

Joe,
Yes I noticed that when I put it together that theres a lot of tension on the rubber hangers in order for the tail pipe to slide all the way onto the muffler. Thats fine with me though because now the whole system won't move around and its nice and tight. Thanks.

-Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nismo FTMFW! I have a 02' Supercharged Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 ( a mouth full. lol) and I just installed a nismo exhaust on mine. It's the best sounding exhaust I've heard on a frontier. I can't hear it at all in the cab unless I'm accelerating. Now, don't get me wrong, maybe I'm a little deaf after owning 3 240's all with straight 3" pipe/muffler/no cats. I'd say that the Nismo is quieter than my stock exhaust that had holes in it. Easy to install, no massaging necessary, 100% bolt in.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Is there a how-to out there on dyno matting? I've never done it and I may consider it now if the exhaust is really that loud.

I ordered mine last week, it will be here on Tuesday. Can't wait to get it installed.
It's pretty easy. The dynamat is very sticky. Just remove the trim and stick to bare metal like the floor, doors, etc.

Search online, you'll find a lot of info about it.

it really made a difference in my cab and it will make your stereo sound a lot better too.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Ty,
I wouldn't regret the Magnaflow, like I said it sounds the same. I doubt theres any real performance difference between the two.

Joe,
Yes I noticed that when I put it together that theres a lot of tension on the rubber hangers in order for the tail pipe to slide all the way onto the muffler. Thats fine with me though because now the whole system won't move around and its nice and tight. Thanks.

-Tom
oh i love the magnaflow but i spent 100 dollars more on the magnaflow kit and it didnt even come with a y pipe like the nismo system and i'm kinda disapointed in the quality of the pipes as well, the system is 3 years old and it looks like its been on the truck for decades, my dad has a borla on his truck and its been on there for 3 years as well and his exhaust system looks almost new. all and all i'm happy with my exhaust i just wish i found out about the nismo system first because thats what i would of gone with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.