Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked my differential to see if the level was fine after I seen what looked to be "damp" spots near the seal and bolts. While I was taking the fill plug out it released some air like you'd get opening a soda can(not nearly as much but still noticeable). Is this normal? I have 23,000miles and the gear oil looked a nice honey colour and constancy like it would new.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I assume this is the rear axle.

Since there was built-up pressure, this means that your pressure valve (little nub on top of the axle tube on the passenger side) is clogged. This is once again why it is a good thing to do the axle vent mod. There are a couple of threads on here and also on ClubTitan.

You can thou bring it to the dealer and complain and they will remove the cover and re-RTV it and assemble it.

A better solution would be to order the silicone gasket made for the m226 (I forgot who sells it but other member have it) so that you don't have to worry about adding enough RTV whenever you open the diff in the future.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, its the rear end and I remember reading about the vent getting plugged. I want to get an aluminium differential cover anyway so I guess this is as good a reason as any.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The clogged 'diff breather' or 'axle vent' or 'pressure valve' (symantics) sounds like your problem. I can see how a clogged vent 'might' allow enough pressure to build up so that fluid could weep out of the cover when the diff gets hot. If you do the diff breather extention mod, you shouldn't have the problem any more.

Axle vent issue and solution - Nissan Titan Forum

Toyota part #9040451026

Also, as dubie2003 states, the m226 diff cover gasket from Mag-Hytec would be a better option than rtv when you replace your cover:

2004-2008 Nissan Titan Gasket [2004-2008 Nissan Titan Gasket] - $18.00 : Mag-Hytec

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The clogged 'diff breather' or 'axle vent' or 'pressure valve' (symantics) sounds like your problem. I can see how a clogged vent 'might' allow enough pressure to build up so that fluid could weep out of the cover when the diff gets hot. If you do the diff breather extention mod, you shouldn't have the problem any more.

Axle vent issue and solution - Nissan Titan Forum

Toyota part #9040451026

Also, as dubie2003 states, the m226 diff cover gasket from Mag-Hytec would be a better option than rtv when you replace your cover:

2004-2008 Nissan Titan Gasket [2004-2008 Nissan Titan Gasket] - $18.00 : Mag-Hytec
Thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts