Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So because I have an old Nexus 7 kickin around gathering dust and the stock radio in my 09 SE sucks I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. I'm wanting to hard mount the Nexus in place of the factory radio. USB audio, Bluetooth, NAV, in-dash Torque monitoring, USB back-up camera, no parking brake by-pass for mobile video. What's not to love? I'm just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this in our trucks? There's lots of info out there for other vehicles, but I haven't seen anything specific for Frontiers. I'll be using this as my build thread so I'll post up pictures and how-to's as things get done. I have a pretty basic knowledge of car audio, and Android itself, but I imagine there's gonna be some pretty creative stuff going into this, so any suggestions, thoughts, or warnings are more than welcome.

The plan so far is to hard wire power to a 12V source using a 12V-5V converter and utilize a Timur's ROM for OTG charging support and always on even when the battery is dead. Audio will be supplied from the headphone jack to either a USB DAC or DSP (haven't decided yet) with an upgraded amp and door speakers going in eventually. Media is gonna come from either Bluetooth or a USB drive. A few Tasker profiles will automate everything. Apps like Tablet Talk, Torque, offline maps, Spotify (wi-fi tethered to phone) and anything else I feel like putting on. I'll be replacing the factory dash kit with an aftermarket one designed for double DIN stereos and finding a way (probably JB weld) to permanently mount the tablet inside the frame. I'm still toying with ways to retain FM radio.

Wish me luck everyone, this is gonna be one helluva ride.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you're going to do all of that work to integrate the tablet, I'd start with something better than an old Nexus 7. Those tablets are at the end of their lives, as the operating system updates have seriously slowed their performance.

Vic

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're going to do all of that work to integrate the tablet, I'd start with something better than an old Nexus 7. Those tablets are at the end of their lives, as the operating system updates have seriously slowed their performance.

Vic
I dunno mine is still fast enough for what I need it for. And buying a new tablet kinda defeats the point of doing it this way. If I spent the money on a new tablet I could just buy a double DIN that'll do what I need it to. And chances are that way it'll be just as slow or worse. And it won't have Torque or Wi-Fi tethering or any of the cool things I want from the nexus.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a fair bit of digging around, and wasting time at work, I've come up with this (attached) so far. My only hang up is, is DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) actually necessary before the amp or can I just run from the AUX port on the Nexus direct to an amp, like a Clarion XC1410 or a Kenwood M1804? If I do need to run one, would I be better served going from USB to DAC to amp or AUX to DAC to amp? I understand that there is an internal DAC in the Nexus and its obviously not pushing enough power to drive 4 speakers, but with my rudimentary understanding of car audio, that's the amp's job. It just amplifies a source, which would be the AUX port of the tablet, correct? The other option I have is apparently there's Bluetooth receivers that plug in direct to an amp, but I'm leery of having too many Bluetooth connections and having to sacrifice something like the media controller or streaming media. I'm also committed to this install. I've been window shopping double DIN receivers and they just don't serve my needs for the price.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts

Vic
If speed is an issue, I'd say root the thing (if not already), then downgrade the OS to something less recent. That should take care of the "slowness caused by operating system updates" issue. OR you could sidegrade to a different OS, like CM....

How-To: Google Nexus 7: how to upgrade, flash and unlock your Nexus tablet
ROMs:
> Google Factory ROMs for 2012 Nexus 7 with Wi-Fi only
> Google Factory ROMs for 2012 Nexus 7 Mobile
> Google Factory ROMs for 2013 Nexus 7 with Wi-Fi only
> Google Factory ROMs for 2013 Nexus 7 Mobile
CM ROMs:
> CyanogenMod Downloads for 2012 Nexus 7 (grouper)
> CyanogenMod Downloads for 2013 Nexus 7 Wi-Fi Only (flo)
> CyanogenMod Downloads for 2013 Nexus 7 4G (deb)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I dunno mine is still fast enough for what I need it for. And buying a new tablet kinda defeats the point of doing it this way. If I spent the money on a new tablet I could just buy a double DIN that'll do what I need it to. And chances are that way it'll be just as slow or worse. And it won't have Torque or Wi-Fi tethering or any of the cool things I want from the nexus.
Do see the link in my sig. You can be up and running in a week and the job will look pro. The week includes shipping from China. Install might take you a couple of hours.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dougie35 - I'm definitely gonna root it cuz I need to flash a kernel for constant on when charging. I have thought about an older build of Android but I don't have any experience with CM. I might tinker with it on days off.

DaveEM - I've seen those before but I don't know much about them. I cruised your build thread and I'm kinda intrigued. From my understanding they're basically an Android powered head unit. Is it full Android with access to the play store or is it a "dumbed down" version with limited support? Does it have RCA outs so I can ad an amp eventually?

·
Registered
130 Posts
DaveEM - I've seen those before but I don't know much about them. I cruised your build thread and I'm kinda intrigued. From my understanding they're basically an Android powered head unit. Is it full Android with access to the play store or is it a "dumbed down" version with limited support? Does it have RCA outs so I can ad an amp eventually?
It's full Android. play store is installed. I use Google Maps (on and off line) for navigation but you can use whatever you want . I also use Nova Launcher on it. Have Torque running. I uninstalled their version of Torque and installed my paid version as it will update and I think theirs do not.

Set my Nexus as a Hot Spot and use Chrome on it for a browser. It also connects to free WiFi. Like you say "What's not to Love". In settings you can bypass the safety settings and watch vids while driving.

I've upgraded mine to 5.1 but you should be able to buy the unit now with the 5.1 pre installed. Here you go...
https://www.carjoying.com/android-5-1-car-stereo/nissan-android-5-1-car-stereo/joying-newest-7-inch-car-radio-android-5-1-1-lollipop-double-din-head-unit-hd-resolution-1024-600-car-stereo-quad-core-touch-screen-in-dash-gps-navigation-system-for-nissan-universal-with.html

Scroll down they show the rear panel with many RCA outputs. You can also send them an email with your questions. My hearing is poor so I will never play with that stuff.

$250. Wow!

^^ This part number doesn't come with a backup camera it looks like but in my post I talk a bit about it. You could ask if they have a prepackaged kit with camera or they have the camera on their site for like $20. Or in my post I mention who I think the camera is made by. Find it on line.

I will say shipping is extremely fast. Maybe 3 days. << and you can watch it come almost hour by hour with the tracking number.

There is some stuff on XDA on the Joying units.

Had you ordered yesterday (17th.) you would be up and running on the weekend. ::smile::

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You make one hell of a salesman but I'm in Canada and we pay a 30% surcharge on everything cuz oil economies suck and so does the loonie. At $250 I'd have one coming already. At $325-$350 it's a harder sell.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ah! Instead of 'Great White North' to the left of my posts I put "Alberta". ::smile:: You know where that is.

Anyway just an option for you.

You might really want to build this thing. More power to you.

There are some that have done it (on the web) as at one time I had thoughts on this also. But I'm not that great at doing stuff like that. Some youtube stuff on it too.

Good Luck and yep our loonie is not doing well. Such is life.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Unfortunately I'm gonna have to put this on hold for a bit, cuz my landlord selling the condo is getting in the way of tinkering. However, after numerous wasted work hours, I have a parts list. While I'm on financial hold for this, I'll play with the software end of things, cuz I already have the Nexus. I might pick up bits and pieces here and there, but this shopping list is for anyone who wants to dive in to something similar. And so I don't have to go looking for everything again.

Nexus 7 (or similar 7" tablet)

Double DIN dash kit (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001TJK5QK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1)

Bluetooth Media Button Remote: this totally solves the issue I was having with a lack of external volume control and it matches the climate control knobs in the truck already which is neat (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00RM...36_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=media+butyonar1)

USB extension from OTG hub to glove box for USB drive (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002KKZAIU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1)

USB OTG hub w/charge support (https://www.amazon.ca/Acasis-H027-Charging-Simultaneous-Transmisson/dp/B00SZNT0ZU)

Hardwired 12V-5V Micro USB adapter (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B013AVE6T6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=AW5KDBZUHSP8N&psc=1)

USB to RCA DAC after chatting with some guys who've done similar installs this was the clear way to go. I could have gone headphone to RCA to amp, but this will get me better sound quality without breaking the budget (https://www.amazon.ca/Behringer-UCA...3751&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=behringer+uca222)

64gb USB flash drive... maybe a 128gb if I can catch one sale

Bluetooth OBD adapter + Torque Pro + Nissan plug-in for Torque

Various wire crimp connectors, tape, other shop supplies I already have and of course a few brews for when I get around to installing it.

As far as firing the speakers I'm pretty sure I'm leaning toward an Alpine KTP-445U (Alpine KTP-445U Head Unit Power Pack 45W x 4 Car Amp at Crutchfield.ca). It supports RCA or direct speaker wiring, and I can get a decent deal on one through work. I don't have any plans of adding a sub; and when I get around to replacing the factory speakers this should drive whatever I end up putting in there without issue cuz I don't plan on going crazy with speakers.

No plans for a back-up camera yet, but that may happen. I have one free USB port if need be.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've had all the parts to install a second gen Nexus 7 for about a year and a half now and still haven't gotten around to it. Going to check out that Joying instead and maybe transfer the other install parts over to my 68 mustang

1 - 14 of 14 Posts