Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Next Nissan Frontier Will Be �A Real Truck�

19K views 51 replies 32 participants last post by  Capt_Carl 
#1 ·
Next Nissan Frontier Will Be “A Real Truck”

Nissan is amped about the emerging battle going on in the midsize pickup truck market, a segment that it’s been in for years.

But the recent activity in the segment with the new Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon and updated Toyota Tacoma has spilled to the Nissan Frontier as well, with its sales increasing by 47 percent last year.

However, midsize truck shoppers will definitely notice the Frontier’s distinct lack of modern touches in comparison to the competition. The truck has been riding on the same platform since 2005, internally called the D40.

Nissan actually has a far more up-to-date midsize truck for markets outside North America. Called the Navara, it features a newer platform that could easily work as a Frontier replacement; that is, if Nissan North America thinks it’s up to the task.
Read more about the Next Nissan Frontier Will Be 'A Real Truck' at AutoGuide.com.

See less See more
#3 ·
For those that did not click, here is the meat:

“The Frontier has a future. Trucks are in our DNA, we’ve been doing them for a long time,” said Christian Meunier, senior vice president at Nissan North America during a roundtable discussion at the New York Auto Show. “We’ll do something better than the Navara,” he said, adding that the Navara is a bit more of a lifestyle vehicle, “like a Honda Ridgeline.”

“We like real trucks,” he added.

A major element to Nissan’s truck strategy has come with the addition of Mitsubishi Motors to the Renault-Nissan alliance. Nissan acquired Mitsubishi Motors back in October for a whopping $2.3 billion and one of the areas in which the brands can collaborate is trucks. Mitsubishi, like Nissan, has a strong truck presence in overseas markets, with a reputation for tough, rugged vehicles. “It’s in our DNA,” Meunier repeated, while suggesting the pickup truck expertise could be shared between the two brands of the alliance.
The bold is what is good news! So no Navara for us? Unique platform would be great!

#5 ·
The bold is what is good news! So no Navara for us? Unique platform would be great!
Maybe based on a modified Titan frame. Who knows. One thing for sure - amidst this recent resurgence of people making threads about the NP300 as "the next Frontier" for the last 3 years or so, let's separate fact from fiction, actual quotes from click-bait:

As much as a lot of people on the forum keep thinking/wishing/claiming the NP300 is the next Frontier (I admit I liked the design myself), fact is from the first day the NP300 was announced in 2014, Nissan USA said pretty clearly that the NP300 is not an indication of the next Frontier. Here's an actual quote from an actual Nissan representative:

Jun 11th 2014 at 11:27AM
"Nissan North America spokesperson Dan Bedore reached out, saying, "The Navara, which is designed for global markets, including Thailand, is not an indication of an impending launch of a new Nissan Frontier for the US market."

Note the date of the quote. The only people saying the NP300 was "the next Frontier" were blogs and people spreading what the blogs said. Social media at its finest LOL

That said... next week, another NP300 thread will pop up, regardless LOL

#6 ·
At this point I'll be expecting a redesign to come somewhere around 2025. Maybe Nissan is looking to take the award for longest production run without a major redesign or do they already have that... Considering how long it took them to develop, promote, and role out all the various titan models to market it's astounding. Especially considering it'll still have the new model blues for a few years anyway.

Unless they have something hidden up there sleeve I could actually see them either see them just making the current model frontier untill sales are non-existent or just stopping production of it all together in favor of the small car/CUV market. I'm getting the impression these days trucks/suv's don't play a significant part of Nissan's plans in North America any more, although i guess even a small footprint in the half-ton truck market is better than nothing.

#7 ·
So 2021-22 at the earliest. That gives me enough time to maybe buy another one at the end of production. None of the new midsizers have a decent torque curve and the mileage is disappointing. They should just take the same truck and update the crash structure honestly, that's all it really needs. It's still competitive in every other way.

#9 ·
I think in all honesty there are 2-3 things I think they need to update on top of that.

1) A slightly better MFA display, the current one in the pro4x does the job, so not a huge deal, but my vw had the controls for the MFA on the steering wheel and a slightly larger screen showing MPG, DTE, Avg Speed, Actual speed, two trip counters, time driven. The steering wheel control option was so much easier than reaching around the wiper stalk to hit the knob.

2) LIGHTS! I was pretty bummed there are no upgraded lighting packages. LED daytime running lights, factory HID projector, LED interior bulbs... Who wouldn't drop an extra 800-1000 for some modern lighting in this body style? I know I would.

3) Auto up/down windows/power rear window(accessible from keyfob). I really, REALLY miss having auto, one touch up/down on all 4 windows. I know some people did a little wiring tricks to have a bit more than just the auto down on the drivers window, but I think it'd be something that makes a huge difference(don't know what you're missing until you have it haha). Having to sit there and hold the buttons to roll the windows up when I get home is a bit annoying when I used to be able to pull up on the buttons once, then turn down my volume and start gathering my stuff to go inside while the windows did their thing. Again, not a huge issue like the MFA, but it was really convenient and I find myself missing that feature a decent bit. Maybe I won't be as upset when these window regulators don't take a sh*t like VW was notorious for.

Ok, maybe 4. A diesel option, with 6 spd manual...

I love this body style, it looks like a truck, not a SUV with a bed. Maybe with the success of the new Titan we'll get a mini version as the updated frontier like raine mentioned. I know I'd be up for that, I love the new XD's, just was a bit too big and pricey for what I wanted.

#10 ·
I think the biggest "issue" now is that Nissan is selling too many of an old design to justify a full retool. They are probably utilizing the frontier as a cash cow to offset the Titan's development, which was thus far unjustified to me, maybe by the end of 2017 it will start paying dividends if they can match or surpass Toyotas sales of the tundra. I guess they felt even a few percent growth in the steadily largest market of vehicles(full size pick ups, past decade plus?) is worth more than double digit share of market(mid size pick up) that has been pretty volatile over the past two decades from what i have seen.

#11 ·
Wanting the NP300 pickup

I think the biggest "issue" now is that Nissan is selling too many of an old design to justify a full retool. volatile over
Per this article the Frontier sales are down 27.2 %.

Best-Selling Pickup Trucks: March 2017 - PickupTrucks.com News

Myself, i am hoping Nissan will bring the Mexico market NP300 single cab pickup with the 6spd manual to the USA along with some revisions to the QR25 gas engine. It looks like the curb weight is aprox 400lbs less than the current Frontier.

https://www.nissan.com.mx/np300/

#13 ·
I checked out the new Pro-4x at the Denver Auto Show last weekend. I am so happy that it still hasn't changed one bit. This one even has the same color and decals as my 2013!
I hope Nissan keeps the Frontier simple, rugged, safe and capable. Oh yeah and it fits in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I checked out the new Pro-4x at the Denver Auto Show last weekend. I am so happy that it still hasn't changed one bit. This one even has the same color and decals as my 2013!
I hope Nissan keeps the Frontier simple, rugged, safe and capable. Oh yeah and it fits in my garage.

Hey i was at that show as well! Went and sat in that frontier and laughed to myself and said "yup still the same" lol. You know what bugged me is that toyota had a couple different tacomas in there spot, one that was all decked out in overland gear and people were all over that thing checking it out. You would think nissan would do something like that with the frontier to show people that you can turn it into an even sweeter rig than a tacoma. I will add tho that we were over by the Colorado's and i over heard a guy say "No i like that nissan frontier over there better".

#17 ·
well if they do change the whole frontier..... don't buy one for another decade so it will have all the errors made with a new vehicle! lol glad I bought my '16

#19 ·
the only thing i ever wanted any different on the frontiers.

projector headlights factory, updated interior, diesel option.
interior updates would come with some new gadgets.

keep the look the same, they got something right with that generation of frontier. i think for what the truck is, what its supposed to do, what it can do, how much work as an individual they need. its the perfect truck.

#20 ·
This is what I say. While the technology overall is on par with others, you can tell it's been added to a 12 year old truck.

My Dad got a new Ram a few months back with the 8.4" screen. It's all integrated into the dash. Like it's part of it. Ours still looks like they took a double din touch screen and stuck it in there (sadly even the new NISMO Sentra looks like that).

I too agree with the headlights. LED DRLs are a must. The LED lights on the higher end new F150s for front and rear look awesome.

I wouldn't mind a softer touch dash myself. That plastic scratches super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I am with y'all on this truck - but personally it has enough technology for me. Don't want a touch screen, don't need LED headlights (too bright), and etc.....

But, what would Bleudog do (WWBD):

1. Stronger front differential/axle
2. Shorter radiator that doesn't hang down so low
3. Transfer case without a slip yoke and CV drive shaft
4. Move the Diff breather either to the top of the rear diff or install a raised diff breather
5. Better turning radius
6. Great little diesel with a manual transmission
7. Full floater rear axle?

That's it - and that would be the truck I drove for many years

#22 ·
im curious, would you mind breaking down how you came to all these conclusions?
most of this stuff can either easily be done or doesnt need done on these trucks.

i havent seen anyone grenade a rear diff, although i have seen factory rear diff failures depending on the type of driving/offroading
i have seen some fronts blow up, but thats on trails. ive never seen a front blow up from daily or light/medium duty 4x4
slip yoke, i have seen some lifted *** frontiers with some really large rear travel numbers never have any issues with it failing/falling/vibrations
diff breather is a massively easy fix. just as well, most trucks come with a breather like this
never understood the turning radius thing, my driving style revolved around my truck so it was never an issue with me
i do agree with a diesel, because this is a large/expensive project that is not easily done legally and smog compliant. please nissan spend money here and not in stupid places.
already has a decent 6speed
im pretty sure are rears, are semi or 3/4 float if i remember right. someone please correct me if i am wrong. also plenty.

#23 ·
6-sp CC longbed, please.
Hell, how about bringing back a 6-sp KC...jeez.

It's a VERY small difference, but I find it ironic that 4x4 Frontiers have a slightly tighter turning radius than 4x2s.

#24 ·
No problem Andy - these are just be my preferences for improvement:

1. Stronger front differential/axle - Just read the threads were people we having issues splitting the cases on the R180. Just personal preference to have a little more H.D. front Diff. Maybe 8" front R&P so we can push them a little harder. I wheeled my 4Runner pretty good without any issues, but the front diff had a hefty iron case. But with the added power these trucks have - I would beef them up a bit.

2. Shorter radiator that doesn't hang down so low - the radiator is right there at the lowest point of the front of the truck. This needs to be raised...When compared to other rigs - it is not placed very well.

3. Transfer case without a slip yoke and CV drive shaft - CV driveshaft they last longer and are more forgiving of diff angles. Also, if you taco your rear driveshaft, you can take it off and just stay in 4WD to get off the trail or home. Many pluses to no slip yoke and CV driveshaft.

4. Move the Diff breather either to the top of the rear diff or install a raised diff breather - Just an improvement I wouldn't mind having. Hell, put a remote diff breather from the factory

5. Better turning radius - would just like the radius to be comparable to Jeeps/yotas. At least down to ~40ft

6. Great little diesel with a manual transmission - if they add a diesel, I don't want them to take away the manual transmission. I just have a feeling they will.

7. Full floater rear axle? - isn't the M226 a semi-floating axle? With a full floater, you can yank a broken axle without worrying about the wheel falling off. Come in handy on the trail and after you have some high miles on your truck. I.e.. if a semi float axles goes, the wheel could fall off. IIRC - Dodges with higher mileage do this.

#26 ·
my point. there are a ton of people on this board that wheel the absolute piss out of it and i havent seen half the complaints you have. i was more curious as to what personal experience you have to come to these conclusions. otherwise its just repeated noise from someone else.

#25 ·
This is what I think that cars are becoming due to technology. I like simple.

Attachments

#28 ·
New guy to the forum, but have owned a 2008 King Cab 4x4 6spd NISMO since Dec 2007. Love my truck, but it is getting long in tooth and was looking to buy a new one, but getting a 6spd now is next to impossible.

And now this may sound a tad dumb, but the reason I wound up in the NISMO in the first place was it was the lowest model I could get into and get lumbar support in the seat. Toyota has lumbar support in all versions of the Tacoma. Imagine that. Not a huge add in cost obviously otherwise they charge a premium or force it as an optional upgrade.

Here we are, almost 10 years later and we still have to buy a Pro-4X or SL to get lumbar support AND now good luck getting a manual transmission. Hell, I'd be happy if they offered a selectable 6spd auto shift, but no, they can't even do that. With my 6spd manual I'm getting 23 to 24 mpg driving back roads to and from work - it is 26 miles each way and has some pretty good hills in it along they way. I'd be surprised if I could do the same with their "5spd" automatic.

My ideal new build would be a long bed SV crew cab 4x4 6spd manual with lumbar support in the driver seat. I don't relish the idea of switching brands, but I'm tired of waiting for the Frontier update and ticked that getting a 6spd manual is nigh on impossible.

#29 ·
Dude you can get manual in 4x4. Just find a seat with the lumbar support, check local salvage places etc for something cheap and then just swap the seats. If Nissan won't do it for you it shouldn't be all that hard to do it yourself. Had I not found the deal I did I'd have gone for something lower and then made whatever mods I needed to. For the most part what I got suits me though but there's a few little things here and there I'll change.

#30 ·
Unless you know something I don't, six speed with a 4x4 is only available in the Pro-4X crew cab with the short bed and I'm not doing a short bed because - 1) I often carry items where I need the long bed and 2) I think the short bed crew is just down right homely. I have considered doing a mod-shop or salvage to get the lumbar support and may still do that in the end. Mine is going into the shop Saturday for what I think will a second universal joint replacement.

#34 ·
Future Frontier owner

Good morning, I am presently the owner of a 08 Ranger XL, pretty much a plain Jane vehicle. I have had a great time with this little truck. It has done everything I wanted and with 60,000miles on it, it still has a lot to offer. When I bought it in the fall of 07 there was a lot of talk about whether the Ranger would be pulled from the line up or modernized. It was in a similar position as the Frontier is now as far as having been on the market for quite a while relatively unchanged. Well I saw that as a plus, a design that probably had most of the bugs/flaws removed and was reliable. That has proven to be true.
So in a couple of months I will be actively shopping for a new Frontier, a 4door, 4WD, probably an SV model. What has drawn me to the Frontier, is it's good reliability record and value.
Yeah I'm not really into all the tech stuff, an old mechanic that still likes simplicity (talk about a modern day blacksmith), I appreciate that the Frontier is about as close as simple as you can get these days.
I'm looking forward to finding the one that suits me. If the Ranger was 4WD, I would be keeping it, but I would like to have something that will help me and the wife get around in foul weather. So I will be reading up on what you all have to say about these vehicles. I spent a lot of time working on Lil Hustlers back in the 70s, they were the original little Timex watches of trucks.
Take care all.

#37 ·
Nissan has complete control over the "cheap" truck market. Every business in my area that needs a basic small/midsize truck fleet uses the frontier. I sometimes look at other trucks and think..."yeah that's cool", right up until I see the 35-40k price tag. If I were them I would keep it the same and keep on making money.

Reactions: 40112
#38 ·
I have a 2016 CC short bed 4.0 2wd. I wanted the diesel option that has yet to come along. Saw it in some magazines, and hoped it would happen. Still nothing.

My main complaints on this truck are that the brakes suck, and the steering/turning radius could be a little tighter. Seems like you're driving a full size crew cab when you pull into a parking spot. After a while you get use to it not turning so tight, but it would be an improvement to have it turn a bit more.
I don't need all the tech crap that others like. I just need a good radio and a good heater/AC. I don't need touch screens and clue tooth or anything else. I just need a truck that runs good and keeps me comfortable. Seats aren't awesome for comfort but they aren't terrible either. Maybe an upgraded model offers different seat options? Mine is the SV. I think overall the truck is a good one. Power of the 4.0 is pretty good, fuel economy is decent. I get 18-19 all the time and I don't baby it any.

#44 ·
Well said. I'm getting 24mpg with my 2008 4wd 4L 6sp NISMO King Cab and agree on the other items. I don't want to buy an SL because I don't need all of the elctro geewhiz stuff, leather seats and 18" wheels. I do appreciate adjustable lumbar support and good mileage with solid power. That will make me happy in my next truck. I need the long bed, too.

#39 ·
I really don't get everyone's complaint about turning radius. I think too many people are used to smaller cars that turn on a dime. If you spin the steering wheel a little faster, you pull right in to whatever parking spot you are after. If you take your time turning the wheel, yea, that parking spot will require a three point turn and a spotter. Maybe I'm used to 70's and 80's GM vehicles with a large amount of turns lock to lock on the steering (school bus anyone?), but, I have no issues.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.