Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Wanted to get some thoughts from the crowd about what they think might be going on with my Fronty. I have a 2010 SE 4x4 with a 6 speed manny tranny. The truck only has 59,000 miles on it, and I baby it like no other. I am always very meticulous with my work and keep it very clean. So I took the truck in a few weeks ago for a "complimentary" 100 some odd multi-point inspection at Nissan while I had the airbag reprogrammed. I changed my oil maybe 200 miles afterwards and noticed a little oil residue around the oil pan in addition to a little coolant around the bottom of the radiator. I cleaned everything up and continued to monitor the truck. The oil was just from the tech not being a clean freak like myself because no new residue appeared..but the coolant continued to leak. Now I have never had an issue with coolant up until now and I would be just baffled to think my radiator is going with such low miles. I pulled the radiator cap and got to wondering if maybe this is the culprit? The lips look somewhat bent, so maybe the tech was a little too forceful with it when taking it off? Anyone see something to what I am describing?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
655 Posts
You stated the "coolant is around the bottom of the radiator".

Can you tell if it is leaking from the top or bottom? I would check leaks around hoses/fitting and your idea of the radiator cap. Especially when you stated the lip looks somewhat bent. Pretty cheap to get a new cap and put it on to see if that solves the issue.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hoses all looked good. I checked and double checked them. It seemed to drip out from about the midpoint of the bottom part of the radiator. I will order a cap and see what happens I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I know the Titans had problems with leaks at the bottom radiator tank where they are crimped to the core as well as with cracks in the bottoms tank, but the only time I've seen it happen on a 2nd Gen Frontier is when a Denso replacement radiator came back to the shop a month after being installed with a hairline crack in the bottom tank.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My Frontier 6MT's radiator split between the lower plastic and the aluminum fins. It was somewhere around 90,000 miles. Mine happened with no warning.

The truck was parked in the road idling. I walked to the neighbors diagonal across the street. On my way back I saw fluid pouring onto the street. I shut it off quickly and crawled underneath to find it was leaking from the lower seam. I had it towed to Nissan. It was covered under my extended warranty.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, so it officially has a leak. Been shopping around for a new radiator.
Can anyone confirm if this part number will fit the 2010 SE 4.0 6speed?

PN: 214609CA0E
Site: NISSAN OEM Radiator Frontier, Pathfinder, Xterra 2009-15 PN-214609CA0E OEM | eBay

It apparently has the inlets for the transmission cooler equipped automatics, but I was thinking I could bypass just using those. Have been talking with several aftermarket radiator shops and they all include the inlets mentioned above, and they told me their radiators are interchangeable with the manual transmissions. Saves money they said not having to produce two different rads. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Same rad on ATs & MTs.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Yeah, so it officially has a leak. Been shopping around for a new radiator.
Can anyone confirm if this part number will fit the 2010 SE 4.0 6speed?

PN: 214609CA0E
Site: NISSAN OEM Radiator Frontier, Pathfinder, Xterra 2009-15 PN-214609CA0E OEM | eBay

It apparently has the inlets for the transmission cooler equipped automatics, but I was thinking I could bypass just using those. Have been talking with several aftermarket radiator shops and they all include the inlets mentioned above, and they told me their radiators are interchangeable with the manual transmissions. Saves money they said not having to produce two different rads. Thoughts?
Personally, I would avoid this radiator. Some things just don't look right about it and Ebay is full of Chinese counterfeit parts. For starters, genuine Nissan radiators have a Calsonic sticker with the part number placed on the top side of the radiator tank, on the driver's side of the radiator cap. The sticker on this radiator says nothing about Calsonic and it's in the wrong location. The 21460-9CA0E is an old number that existed during the run of failure-prone radiators; it was replaced later by 21460-ZL11A. Last but not least, it also looks like in the 3rd picture that it may be bent. If you zoom the pic, it looks like the side of the core is pushed-in slightly in what would be approximately 4-5" above the bottom tank seam, on the passenger side of the radiator. At first, I thought it could be just the way the picture looks, but you can see there appears to be bent cooling fins in the core at the location, as well. If it were me, I would just get an aftermarket from a reputable parts store. Lots of people go with Spectra Premium from Rockauto.com and it has a two-year warranty and you know you'll be able to find them if you do have a problem.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally, I would avoid this radiator. Some things just don't look right about it and Ebay is full of Chinese counterfeit parts. For starters, genuine Nissan radiators have a Calsonic sticker with the part number placed on the top side of the radiator tank, on the driver's side of the radiator cap. The sticker on this radiator says nothing about Calsonic and it's in the wrong location. The 21460-9CA0E is an old number that existed during the run of failure-prone radiators; it was replaced later by 21460-ZL11A. Last but not least, it also looks like in the 3rd picture that it may be bent. If you zoom the pic, it looks like the side of the core is pushed-in slightly in what would be approximately 4-5" above the bottom tank seam, on the passenger side of the radiator. At first, I thought it could be just the way the picture looks, but you can see there appears to be bent cooling fins in the core at the location, as well. If it were me, I would just get an aftermarket from a reputable parts store. Lots of people go with Spectra Premium from Rockauto.com and it has a two-year warranty and you know you'll be able to find them if you do have a problem.
We will see how this one goes. I bought it through paypal, so if there is any chance that it is counterfeit, then I will file a claim. The seller has a very good rating, and tons of positive feedback. I understand your comment about the radiators being failure prone, but I have a manual transmission, so if this were to have issues later down the road I don't need to worry about cross contamination. And speaking of reliability, the current radiator in the truck is the part number you referenced: 21460-ZL11A. It too has sprung a leak and the truck doesn't even have 60 thousand miles on it. Doesn't sound like a very reliable unit either if you ask me. Bent cooling fins do not concern me. That is not going to effect how the radiator works, but if the tubes are bent...then we will have an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts