Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all; new here, got my Frontier about two years ago after the utility and sport of my 2005 Subaru Outback XT MT could no longer outweigh the aggravation of it becoming a needy vehicle (plus it seemed to be at the cusp of reeeeally rusting up), I actually was $100 shy of buying a 2014 Hyundai Veloster as a replacement since it kind of had some cargo space, fuel economy was pretty sweet, had creature comforts that sounded fun at the time, and it had less than 10k miles, but because that one dealer would not come down that $100 I walked out with an "I'll think about it"...

I had been looking at a 2010 Frontier SE V6 MT with around 82,xxx miles for a while but was not ready to shell out nearly $20k for it at the time as I was used to buying cheaper fixer upper vehicles, my spare and only vehicle at the time had exceeded the cusp of aggravation for me after I tried to fix an age old behavior it had and made it worse resulting in the windshield wipers turning themselves on their own and I had no control over them; that day at work I saw the Frontier I had been tracking dropped $1000 in price overnight (after being assured by the dealer there was no wiggle room), I called them up worked out some details and next day I loaded up my husky in a rental and drove 6 hours back and forth to PA to go buy it.

It came with a Leer cap and the long bed which was more of a parallel to me with having a hatchback but it wasn't until many months in that I realized I didn't have to give a **** if the bed got dirty haha... Most of those months I drove around with an empty bed since I didn't really "get" having a pickup. Over time I found I was rationalizing reasons to load it up with whatever whenever I traveled places, lately it's been filled with pallets every weekend just to bring to a friends house to burn haha.

Apparently when I bought it it had a broken leaf, I only noticed from a noise it was making (it's an inner leaf so it's captured and clanks around), an ex-frontier owner coworker suggested if I'm to do anything with the suspension I should do a lift, and then began the hours of research to find all the parts I needed; after collecting up everything I needed nearly a year and a half later I have not installed them yet, after finally failing safety inspection this year that's the fire I needed under my tail to get me moving and I'll either be attempting to install suspension parts myself or working alongside a local mechanic I found to hold my hand if I screw anything up...

I used to do all work to my vehicles but found I lost a lot of that confidence working with Subaru's butter metal where I could no longer judge how much force a bolt needed to snap a head off... Since then however I have been utilizing impact tools much more so looking forward to relearning how to work on a vehicles with more appropriate tools...

·
Premium Member
7,388 Posts
Welcome to CF! Crew Cab (CC)? IFF so, color me jealous! Wish they still offered a Crew Cab 6-sp longbed...though I'm content w/ a Kingcab (KC) 6-sp. Happy researching...any questions, just fire away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to CF! Crew Cab (CC)? IFF so, color me jealous! Wish they still offered a Crew Cab 6-sp longbed...though I'm content w/ a Kingcab (KC) 6-sp. Happy researching...any questions, just fire away.
Whoops, you're right, missed that tidbit of info, very important to some!! Yes it is Crew Cab!! This Frontier was like diamond in the rough when I found it, I was originally totally turned off by the idea of getting crew cab because I wanted at LEAST the 5½ ft bed so I could go camping and lay in there somewhat comfortably, every freaking combination of a newer Frontier with CC LB had an auto and logic aside, I just plan prefer MT...

When I did later research I found out the long bed was an expensive option/upgrade from the factory I figured out why they were so rare!! So yes I lucked out and while at first I found the maneuverability of it to be horrendous (later on learning people describe traversing the roads with these is similar to driving a tank, which I can relate to lol) I figured with the longer wheel base turning radius would be extended but I didn't realize regular frame frontiers weren't that great either... I eventually adapted and know the limitations of needing at least 4 lanes to do a U-turn hah...

It now has approaching 110k miles, I still love it, but after rolling 80K in PA and 30K in NY, the genius factory wheel-well design (where you can only wash out the internally collected sediment if you know where to look) is starting to bubble up the paint over the wheel near the fuel cap which has me a bit bitter... But I'll try to keep up on the appearance, look into repairing that later on so rust stops, and maybe get some of those stick on external fender flares after so I don't have to worry about paint matching haha...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts