Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a new member to the forums and I signed up to ask a question.

I have a 2003 Nissan Frontier, automatic transmission, V6 engine. When I accelerate I hear a loud whining noise, like a vacuum cleaner. The noise increases in pitch with the speed of my vehicle, not the speed of the engine. The noise stops when my foot is off the gas (Coasting) and starts again when my foot is on the gas (accelerating or maintaining speed). I started hearing it months ago, but it wasn't very loud, recently it has gotten much louder. Now it over powers my music while I drive and a faint grinding noise can be heard also. It is hard to tell where exactly the sound is coming from other than under the vehicle somewhere.

I searched the forums here and found other people explaining similar things, but the answers they found seemed to be different in each case.

HERE a video I took of the noise and when it happens as I step on and off the gas. Thank you for any help you guys can give. I look forward to spending a lot of time here in the future, as the frontier is just about the best vehicle you can buy.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I dont know if this is the cause or not but on my 91 buick regal years ago I had a alternator bering go out and and ended up throwing a blade from the alternator through the hood sounded something similar to that then. but I dont remember the sound changing with pressing the gas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It turns out the rear diff had been run dry for some time. It is severely damaged and that is where the sound is coming from. I have posted more questions on the matter over HERE in the 1st Gen Hangout...

·
Registered
99 Posts
yeah hes right it is probly therear end being out of fluid and is damaged pretty good or if it is the SC or super charged model it could also mean that you need to check the supers oil!

either way you should probly get her checked out soon

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts