Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Newbie 2001 Frontier owner. I recently bought the truck.

I've tried researching all that I could but now need to ask for advice.

I'm getting the 'Spoons in a Blender' rattle really bad from the SC and throwing a Knocksensor (bank 1) code also. The funny thing is that the Boostvalve is actuating, I guess. It is up 45deg from bottom at idle as far as I can see. If I push the BV lever down... the clacking becomes unbearable, held up the clacking is hardly noticeable unless I give it throttle and then it is there but faint.

Power seems good at highway speeds and I can't notice the clanking noise although that may be due to roadnoise, etc.

I've only gone through one tank of gas since I have owned it and that was premium fuel. Put in full tank of premium today along with bottle of octance boost additive and new gas cap.... still getting the knocksensor code.

Will doing the knocksensor replacement/relocation help or does it sound like my SC is toast. When I shut the truck off it sounds like an old propeller airplane shutting down... clankity-clankity-clank.

I hope I didn't buy a total lemon here... I love the truck otherwise. Is this even safe to drive while I am researching a fix?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sounds like a bad sc from what your describing. When at idle and you push the bv down you put the sc under a lot of load which is causing it to rattle. If you don't get this noise on the highway under partial or full throttle it's probably an sc bearing. You can rebuild these though.... contact penski or sexy6chik on here as they replaced the bearings in chik's frontier. or you can get a replacement on ebay.

·
Registered
109 Posts
OMG! These Fckin trucks. Here is the deal, if your BAV "pedal" is all the was to the stop, you have absolutely NO boost, we'll say 9 O'clock, if the pedal is at 12 O'clock it's producing full boost. If the BAV depresses the pedal, closes the valve, bypassing the S/C, the recirculating air makes the S/C sound like the bearings are screwed, but DO NOT REPLACE THE S/C. Sounds like you are having the same problem I am. I'd start with a knock sensor relocation, I have a very in depth write up, with tons of pics, specifically for the S/C application: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/s-c-frontier-knock-sensor-relocation-how2-48473/ What year is the truck, how many miles?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi,

Thanks for the reply guys! I have been tearing my hair out thinking that I was totally screwed and bought a real lemon that's gonna cost me serious $$$. Now, I see that HOPEFULLY things might not be so bad.

Truck is 2001 Frontier SC, 3.3L, 129000 miles.

Test drove the truck this morning and it seems to be better. Drove about 5mi and back and the BAV was at 12 o'clock at idle, rattle was almost gone but would return slightly when I throttled up and then backed off quickly. Still a little 'clankity-clank' when shutting off.

Still throwing a P0325 (Knock sensor bank 1) which always returns after erasing.

Is it safe to drive truck while I try to sort this issue out????

Thanks again,
Tim

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
It should be fine just keep the rpms down and dont abuse the throttle too much. When your taking off from a dead stop. Just make sure to give the engine time to catch up and dont rush the throttle. Also dont think you should be carrying any bigs loads in the truck bed till you get this issue taken care of.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
How many miles do you have on your truck? Mine was making the "spoons in a blender" rattle and it turned out to be partly the KS and the rest was being caused by the timing belt somewhere... I replaced mine around 90k and the noise is gone...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts