Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new here to read up on my poetntial 2019 model purchase. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on some of the summer deals offered.
Part of me want the very base model with a manual transmission and part of me wants the Pro 4X. I see some large rebates on these.

Thanks for the forum.

I am curious about the issue and longevity. The Pro 4X look very off road capable and not too big for trails.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Welcome to the club. When I was researching last year (I bought new Oct '18) I went for my SV Crew Cab 4x4 - I was surprised how it wasn't much more than a 4cyl model yet not as much as the Pro which is mechanically identical except for shocks, tires and the E-locker, which I didn't need. And with the Value Package, it's got many of the same goodies (heated seats, dual zone a/c, utilitrack, etc). So the SV was goldilocks for me. Having said that, my first Nissan pickup was a 93 hardbody, totally base manual, and it was a hoot to drive for 200k reliable miles. Good luck on your decision, there really isn't a bad option no matter what you choose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the club. When I was researching last year (I bought new Oct '18) I went for my SV Crew Cab 4x4 - I was surprised how it wasn't much more than a 4cyl model yet not as much as the Pro which is mechanically identical except for shocks, tires and the E-locker, which I didn't need. And with the Value Package, it's got many of the same goodies (heated seats, dual zone a/c, utilitrack, etc). So the SV was goldilocks for me. Having said that, my first Nissan pickup was a 93 hardbody, totally base manual, and it was a hoot to drive for 200k reliable miles. Good luck on your decision, there really isn't a bad option no matter what you choose.
Thank you, this is helpful. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just bought a new ‘19 SV 4x4 Crewcab. As the previous post stated, this was the best of all the Frontier possibilities for my needs.
The P4X has an attractive look, but I had to be honest 90+% of my driving will be ON road, not OFF. So, the extra off-road capabilities are not something I really need (or wanted to pay for).

I do recommend the Truck Value package that gives you a lot of desirable options that you probably will use more often than the off-road stuff if you are like most people.

Also, deal deal deal... if you are looking at new ones. I paid LESS than 80% of MSRP
and probably could have (should have) held out for more discount...

Good Luck. Hope you find one you like.

Also, my one other piece of advice: Don’t listen to the “nay sayers” who will tell you what a mistake it is to buy a Frontier (it’s an old design... it’s ancient... it lacks modern features....). Buy what YOU want and BE Happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just bought a new ‘19 SV 4x4 Crewcab. As the previous post stated, this was the best of all the Frontier possibilities for my needs.
The P4X has an attractive look, but I had to be honest 90+% of my driving will be ON road, not OFF. So, the extra off-road capabilities are not something I really need (or wanted to pay for).

I do recommend the Truck Value package that gives you a lot of desirable options that you probably will use more often than the off-road stuff if you are like most people.

Also, deal deal deal... if you are looking at new ones. I paid LESS than 80% of MSRP
and probably could have (should have) held out for more discount...

Good Luck. Hope you find one you like.

Also, my one other piece of advice: Don’t listen to the “nay sayers” who will tell you what a mistake it is to buy a Frontier (it’s an old design... it’s ancient... it lacks modern features....). Buy what YOU want and BE Happy.
Thanks, I would think that most of the issues have been worked out by now in this truck and it is just right for my needs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sort of unusual that you are looking at the lowest prices and the highest. I wanted a manual P4X but ultimately I don’t think they made them with luxury package - so I got the auto.

I don’t see the appeal of the 4cyl unless it’s price. I’m thinking reliability is pretty equal at this point. The P4X has a lot of bells & whistles for pretty cheap - if you’re going to use them. I’d get them factory. Aftermarket hang ons will not be as nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sort of unusual that you are looking at the lowest prices and the highest. I wanted a manual P4X but ultimately I don’t think they made them with luxury package - so I got the auto.

I don’t see the appeal of the 4cyl unless it’s price. I’m thinking reliability is pretty equal at this point. The P4X has a lot of bells & whistles for pretty cheap - if you’re going to use them. I’d get them factory. Aftermarket hang ons will not be as nice.
Yeah so I’m thinking that I want something that is off-road capable, but wondering if the base model is enough? The Pro 4X impresses me from a TFL YouTube video.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yeah so I’m thinking that I want something that is off-road capable, but wondering if the base model is enough? The Pro 4X impresses me from a TFL YouTube video.
Get the PRO-4X !!!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
'18 certified preowned PRO-4X here. Got the PRO-4X because my son and I hunt and liked the equipment offered on that package. Great performance for the $

·
Registered
151 Posts
I went with the base crew cab 4x4. Got it cheap because "no one wants crank up windows"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Loving my 2019 SV CC WLB. I paid too much, I'm not the greatest negotiator, but I don't regret the purchase. Depending on your needs, consider getting a long bed if you go CC, it's really useful and fun to drive.

Happy Shopping.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Another SV CC 4x4 Value Truck Package owner here. It really is the Goldilocks combination for those that spend 95% of our time on the slab. Me personally, I just need a 4x4 as a "get myself unstuck without getting out of the truck" and a "don't spend time chaining up in the mountains" switch.

I'm very impressed with the Frontier's off-road capability out-of-the-box, complete with factory Hankook highway tires. Even in 2WD, the truck just floats through places where my 2WD F150 with Camburg midtravel and 35s would get tail-happy, and where my 4x4 F250 would sink like a brick. My off-roading mostly consists of driving on dry riverbeds, fire roads, across open (sometimes muddy) fields, and on two-tire-track paths through the countryside.

Reactions: 76DatsunZ

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hornedfrog - I’m less than a week into my 2019 Pro4X and loving it. Performance package (e.g., roof rack, leather, heated seats, etc) and tow package/bed extender. Got the dealer to take over 20% off MSRP and throw in rubber floor mats. Out the door for a few grand more than CarMax wanted for a 2017 with 28,000 miles on it.

Get what you want knowing that dealers are going to face more pressure to move the 2019s out the door. The 2020s come in September/October and the redesign comes in fall of 2020. Now is a great time to wheel and deal. Pit the dealers against each other and MAKE them bid against each other to get yourself the best price.

Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts