Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying "Hi" and seeing whats going on.
I have actually been a member here for a while, but never posted anything. I always used this site as a resource/search tool.
My Frontier has been my dependable daily driver for 5 years now, and I love it dearly. Heck, it is going to be my daughters first car, and she is only 5 years old. My true toy is my 79 Fiat 128. Fun little car!
Anyway, back on topic, the reason I finally stopped lurking, and started posting.....
I have been wanting to get a REAL bumper for the front. I saw the Shockworks bumper and LOVE it. But, I cannot justify the cost at this time (or any other time). I have been floating the idea of bbuilding my own. Has anyone here done that? It really doesnt look that hard. 3/8 flat steel to mount to th eframe, and use as the main support. Cut the visible peices from 3/16 steel, and "skin it". It'll be quite time consuming, but it doesnt appear to be that terrible technical. WEld it up, grind the welds smooth, get it rino coated, throw it on.
Ideas, thoguhts, advice? Is this "doable" or would it be a waste of time?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hey,

Glad you decided to join up! nice Fiat by the way. I've driven one once, a friend of mine had a dealer. Think it was a Fiat Barchetta 128, cool cars.

ARB makes a front bumper for our trucks as well, I was quoted 780 shipped, not too bad from an ARB dealer.

Fab it up if you want to. Whats the worst that can happen? Fab up something sick and then sell me one lol!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! My Fiat is a 79 128 sedan. If what you drove was a barchetts, it was probably is 124 spider, or maybe an 850 spider. IIRC, a barchetta is a convertible sports car. If the motor was in teh front, is was a 124. If in the rear, it was an 850.
I decide that I am gonna try to fab something up. Im VERY inexperienced with welding. But, my dad, and uncle are both very experienced at welding. As usual, I like to learn from those who have the experience. Either that, or take welding classes.
As for selling them. Not an option. Its gonna take alot of my free time(which I am lacking) to just do mine. Eventually, when it's finished, I'll post some pics. Hell, I'll probaby have to post several questions here so people can keep updated.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts