Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 08 extended bed with the factory hitch and wiring harness. I had a problem with the taillight wires on my trailer while it was hooked up and it shorted and blew the fuse (I assume). I cannot find the the fuse for the trailer lights. I found the fuses for the directional/brake lights under the hood along with the transfer case fuses, but no tail light fuse. The tail lights on the truck itself work, just not the trailer. Help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can see from the lack of a response that this isn't an easy one, and it's just not me.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
Its under the hood. its a 10 amp fuse, I've had it blow a couple of times. I usually"borrow" my reverse light fuse for it if on the road. I think its in the back (of the two) fuse boxes. I can go look here in a bit

Its Trailer Tow

I would recommend testing with a multimeter. This suckers are tiny, and its hard to visually see if they are blown.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks inyourface, I hadn't even seen that fuse box. The manual only shows one box under the hood. Just went out to the parking lot at work and there it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
I have the same problem- no trailer park lights or clearance lights. My fuse is intact factory trailer wiring everything else works. what did you find?
Thank you
Larry

·
Registered
129 Posts
Make sure you have everything you need for the lights to work, i.e., the proper relays that install in the passenger side kick panel.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Check the trailer hitch socket on the Frontier with a test light or DC voltmeter in the different functions. If all work, then the issue is with the trailer plug or trailer, do your troubleshooting.

Don't forget that one of the connections must be a ground connection.

Mrs. Cusser has had several vehicles for which I've wired up horse trailers, none had separate fuses in the vehicle itself for trailer lights.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
This is an old thread, but after searching on this site for an hour I ended up tracking down my trailer light issues on my own. Under your driver's side dash, down where your pedals are, there's a small white plastic box just large enough to hold 2 fuses. One of those was blown, which knocked out my trailer lights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bassman - Not sure if you'll see this since the thread is four years old, but can you describe in detail where the "secret" fuse box is located? I have an 2007 Frontier with a factory trailer package, and I've blown a fuse for the trailer tail lights (the trailer has a dead short), but I can't find a blow fuse in the main fuse boxes. It must be the one that you described under the dash, but I can't find the little fuse box that you mentioned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is an old thread, but after searching on this site for an hour I ended up tracking down my trailer light issues on my own. Under your driver's side dash, down where your pedals are, there's a small white plastic box just large enough to hold 2 fuses. One of those was blown, which knocked out my trailer lights.
You just saved me so much money and time!!! The trailer place in town couldn't figure out why my left turn signal and brake light suddenly stopped working. We ruled out the trailer. Figured it was my '05 Xterra. The Nissan dealership wanted $150 just to see if they might be able to fix it. I asked for my keys back and went home and started searching forums like this.
I'm a owner of a landscaping company and need my trailer. I'm also a woman. My husband who is pretty car savvy didn't even want to try to figure it out. Too much trouble. And he told me to just take it somewhere because I probably couldn't figure it out either. Thanks to you, forums like this and other people who post solutions (even when it is an old thread), I figured it out and fixed it in under an hour.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bassman - Not sure if you'll see this since the thread is four years old, but can you describe in detail where the "secret" fuse box is located? I have an 2007 Frontier with a factory trailer package, and I've blown a fuse for the trailer tail lights (the trailer has a dead short), but I can't find a blow fuse in the main fuse boxes. It must be the one that you described under the dash, but I can't find the little fuse box that you mentioned.
I found it upended the dash directly up from
IMG_1199.jpeg
the gas and the brake pedal (I have a standard '05 Xterra so the pedal alignment may be a little off).

·
Registered
4 Posts
You just saved me so much money and time!!! The trailer place in town couldn't figure out why my left turn signal and brake light suddenly stopped working. We ruled out the trailer. Figured it was my '05 Xterra. The Nissan dealership wanted $150 just to see if they might be able to fix it. I asked for my keys back and went home and started searching forums like this.
I'm a owner of a landscaping company and need my trailer. I'm also a woman. My husband who is pretty car savvy didn't even want to try to figure it out. Too much trouble. And he told me to just take it somewhere because I probably couldn't figure it out either. Thanks to you, forums like this and other people who post solutions (even when it is an old thread), I figured it out and fixed it in under an hour.
I would like to add that the fuse under the hood (F4) was also blown. replaced that and nothing happened until I found the one under the dash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found it upended the dash directly up from View attachment 318808 the gas and the brake pedal (I have a standard '05 Xterra so the pedal alignment may be a little off).
View attachment 318808
Thanks for the photo! I'll go look again. My truck is an '07, so maybe they changed it. I did see something a bit like that under my dash, but I couldn't get it open, and I was afraid of breaking it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It was really hard to find. I had to squeeze my head in there with a head lamp on to find it. I remember thinking to myself that this would be really hard for a good size man to do. Because I barely fit. Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts