Premium Member
1,098 Posts
What's the specific problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sarter

Put Key in the ignition..... and nothing. Adjust tranyy, put it neutral back to park etc.... wait turn key and it starts. Had it tested at autoparts place, they said it was the starter. But I have to wonder what the tranny has to do with it.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I haven't really heard of that being a problem. I know that the truck will not start unless the transmission is set to Park or Neutral. Whatever sences the transmission position may be messed up, which may explain why changing the gears has something to do with it. If you haven't already, you should post up your problem over in the General Disscussion forum and explain what's going on and you'll probably get a lot more help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Neutral Saftey Switch

Put Key in the ignition..... and nothing. Adjust tranyy, put it neutral back to park etc.... wait turn key and it starts. Had it tested at autoparts place, they said it was the starter. But I have to wonder what the tranny has to do with it.

Bill
Sounds like the neutral Saftey switch needs Adjustment/Tighting up
or Replaced if it Broke
Thats what I would check First

·
Super Moderator
11,063 Posts
Welcome,

I agree with the above post. The switch can go bad, but with a no start issue something may have moved.
I believe there was an issue with the trans. cable clips back then. That would put it out of place.

Clint

·
Registered
106 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
welcome, I agree with the above. pull your console and check the P/N switch. you might also try starting in neutral if park isn't working for you.

btw, NO, starting problems are NORMAL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts