Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2001 Crew cab with one stripped lug bolt (wheel stud). What to do to fix? Replaced tire and one lug was crossed.

Help!:(

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Welcome to CF!

Depends on how far in you cross threaded it.. if it's just the first few threads re-cut it and forget it, any more than that you prolly need a new stud.

G/L!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
It generally isn't as big of an issue as most people think. The studs are cheap and fairly easy to replace. You will probably have to remove the brake disc or drum, which ever it is. Gut a hammer and punch and bang it out, and flip it over and slap hammer the new one in. Tighten down to spc and re-check often over the next couple hundred miles. But seriously, all it is is like a long bolt with a ribbed end section that fits into grooves kind of like the rifling of a gun barrel. The really do just tap in and out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It generally isn't as big of an issue as most people think. The studs are cheap and fairly easy to replace. You will probably have to remove the brake disc or drum, which ever it is. Gut a hammer and punch and bang it out, and flip it over and slap hammer the new one in. Tighten down to spc and re-check often over the next couple hundred miles. But seriously, all it is is like a long bolt with a ribbed end section that fits into grooves kind of like the rifling of a gun barrel. The really do just tap in and out.
It looks like it's only the first few threads that are screwed up so I think I'll try to rethread them first, then maybe replace if that doesn't work. I'm not real machanically inclined. Never removed any brake parts before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Devius1 and tholmes,
I really appreciate your input. Tried to rethread but it was some messed up it wouldn't work. Pulled drum off with the help of a few whacks from a rubber mallet to get brake dust and rust knocked loose. Only took two hits to knock the stud out. The whole process took about 20 mins.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts