Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now I want to learn fast.
I owned a 86.5 Hardbody 5 years ago, but that was a different animal.

Can you guys help me find answers fast?
I bought a used 2015 Pro4x truck w 5-speed auto, according to teh vin it is a pro4x at least, but it seems just barely as it has few of the options and fewer of the ones I thought were standard on this model.

Using this site https://www.cars.com/research/nissan-frontier-2015/specs/usc50nit122b0/ as a reference, but maybe they are completely wrong about options..
Here is what I have and dont have and that the links says is supposed to be standard options and I don't have. I am a bit confused...

No locking diff (optional)
130 amp alternator - I dont know how to check,
Brake actuated LSD, maybe, dont know how to check
Alloy wheels, yes
Bilstein shocks? mine are black, should they be blue/yellow? ('15 is a bit early to replace shocks?)
Body colored front bumper, yes
mud flaps, yes
Skid plate, just one at the front, nothing covering the oil pan.
power window, yes.
heated seats, no
rear diff lock, no
navagation, no
back up camera, err, the tailgate is gone as it has a goofy cap with doors, so IDK.
Dual zoneAC, I dont think.
Logos on seats or body, no
leather or vinyl logo seats, no
cloth seats, yes.
8-way adjustable seats, no, mine have two.
foot rest, yes
height adj drivers seat, no
lumbar support, no
6 speakers, not sure, I see holes for dashtop speakers, but no sound.
Steering wheel audio and cruise controls, yes
Too many things to go through each one, but I was expecting the shocks and a few performance things to be standard. Pro4x supposed to have upgraded shocks and something to do with suspension, but I have no way to confirm.

Also, no towing package, but at least the wiring is in place on the chassis.I ordered a receiver hitch, the wires and relays so I can hook up a 7-pin and brake controller. I think it is good this has never towed though, so is mixed blessing.
For 2015 do these all have trans cooler lines go through the radiator?

Also, one biggie, I want to put in a trans temp gauge. I need help as I can find answers. I would get a Bully Dog but not sure if these can read real trans temps. And, where is there a place to plug in a temp sensor in the trans?

So, what do I have?
How is my truck different from a standard one (a non-prox4)?
thanks,

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My old insurance company was trying to charge me for a pro4x because they said that’s what comes up by the vin. It’s not.. make sure you let them know it’s not because they will charge more.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Definitely not a Pro unless somebody has been removing items at a fairly rapid pace. The lack of locking rear axle is the biggest immediate tell.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I was shopping for my pro4x, which WILL HAVE a locking dif... I saw a lot of trucks at dealers that were labeled or even had pro4x stickers on them but did not have the seats or any other of the standard pro options. Not sure why anyone would do that

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So, all those things I listed corroborate my suspicion?
This is not my truck, but since it looked identical inside and out I did not question the one I bought as much

It seems to be lacking features as well. Vin says, SV/Pro 4x.
The dealer was probably trusting the vin as I was on mine. Carfax showed it as pro4x, and they say they have a buy-back garentee, but the dealer paid for the carfax not me, so Ill look into it.
I could have goten a cheaper truck if I had been shopping for a base model, and not driven as far...

edit, also this one used "pro4x" has the same styling/interior/lack of decal/lack of buttons as mine
and also I do not have the bedliner, I thought maybe it was a plastic one that was removed, but the nissans have spray in? I was looking at Toyota which do have the plastic ones so was further confused.

I think the diff lock was an option,can anyone confirm?

So, I guess I need some FOR SURE proof to tell either carfax or the dealer, but I bet the dealer protected himself from liability, but carfax offers guarantee, so Ill pursure.

Mine was priced about right for a non-pro model at least

·
Registered
772 Posts
So the one you linked above looks like a Desert Runner (at least it's got the decal), and if a VIN says "SV/Pro 4X", there is no such thing. There is one or the other. I'm confused, but it sounds to me like you got a base SV model and not a PRO 4X. As was stated earlier, if it was a P4X, you'd definitely have a locking rear differential. It would also have white faced gauge cluster.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, the Desert one is supposed to be a 2WD also, but the pics show the 4WD dial, so maybe it got a sticker by a goofball. So, there were at least 3 trucks I looked at the claimed to be Pro but were not.
From doing more looking, it looks like the Pro is about 30-40% more money even for a used one.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
0Truck0, locking rear is NOT an option. ALL Pro4s have it, so I think you need to pay your dealer a visit and have a convo vis a vis being overcharged, for the wrong model. Honestly though if they don't know the differences either, could very well have been an honest mistake. Now see what they'll do to make it right.

·
Premium Member
5,060 Posts
Now I want to learn fast.
I owned a 86.5 Hardbody 5 years ago, but that was a different animal.

Can you guys help me find answers fast?
I bought a used 2015 Pro4x truck w 5-speed auto, according to teh vin it is a pro4x at least, but it seems just barely as it has few of the options and fewer of the ones I thought were standard on this model.

Using this site https://www.cars.com/research/nissan-frontier-2015/specs/usc50nit122b0/ as a reference, but maybe they are completely wrong about options..
Here is what I have and dont have and that the links says is supposed to be standard options and I don't have. I am a bit confused...

No locking diff (optional)
130 amp alternator - I dont know how to check,
Brake actuated LSD, maybe, dont know how to check
Alloy wheels, yes
Bilstein shocks? mine are black, should they be blue/yellow? ('15 is a bit early to replace shocks?)
Body colored front bumper, yes
mud flaps, yes
Skid plate, just one at the front, nothing covering the oil pan.
power window, yes.
heated seats, no
rear diff lock, no
navagation, no
back up camera, err, the tailgate is gone as it has a goofy cap with doors, so IDK.
Dual zoneAC, I dont think.
Logos on seats or body, no
leather or vinyl logo seats, no
cloth seats, yes.
8-way adjustable seats, no, mine have two.
foot rest, yes
height adj drivers seat, no
lumbar support, no
6 speakers, not sure, I see holes for dashtop speakers, but no sound.
Steering wheel audio and cruise controls, yes
Too many things to go through each one, but I was expecting the shocks and a few performance things to be standard. Pro4x supposed to have upgraded shocks and something to do with suspension, but I have no way to confirm.

Also, no towing package, but at least the wiring is in place on the chassis.I ordered a receiver hitch, the wires and relays so I can hook up a 7-pin and brake controller. I think it is good this has never towed though, so is mixed blessing.
For 2015 do these all have trans cooler lines go through the radiator?

Also, one biggie, I want to put in a trans temp gauge. I need help as I can find answers. I would get a Bully Dog but not sure if these can read real trans temps. And, where is there a place to plug in a temp sensor in the trans?

So, what do I have?
How is my truck different from a standard one (a non-prox4)?
thanks,
The truck will have yellow bilstien shocks, skid plates all the way back (radiator, engine, transmission and transfer case and gas tank). White face gauges, and the adjustable seats, you will have two adjuster wheels on the side of the driver's side seat and the seats will have tags sewn on to them that say Pro-4x. If it still has the oem floor mats, they will also have stitching that says Pro-4x. The door jam sticker will read 265/75/16 as the tire size. You WILL have a rear locker. it was standard on the pro, not an option. You will also have the plastic front bumper cover and the door handles and mirrors tend to be body colored as well. The Rockford fosgate is 10 speakers with a sub under the back seat (on the crew cab, not sure how the KC is)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks, I have an SV then. disapointing. Cant trust CarFax.
It does say 265/70/16, very slight difference I didnt catch either.
I submitted for the CarFax guarantee so will see how that goes.
Hopefully Carfax will honor the buyback -- it was falsely advertised as being a higher end model than it actually is. Good luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Upon further Carfax research, carfax is as close to a scam as you can get without being one. 99% of the real issues are likely never reported, carfax gets a "smattering" of info, they dont make up info, but just have very little and very few sources and realy have no idea of the whole story.
The vin mistakes could be a nissan thing, I will look further.
*edit, I called my ins co to add truck and the vin they ran came up as it should, not the pro4x.

So, I have an SV and it was still a good price and so far the truck drives great and no complaints as far as an SV goes. And also, the cap on my truck, though is aluminum and looks like cheap topper, is in excess of $3,000 new. It is a commercial version with rear barn doors (thus why I have no tailgate), ARE.

More questions still:

Where do the side airbags deploy? I see "stuff" under the seats that I think is airbags. Does the side airbags deploy out of the seat, ripping the stitching?

The book says to be under 62mph when switching from 2Hi to 4Hi. I want to verify this, I usually come to a full stop, put it in N and switch, but I can switch on the fly? The switch to 4Lo is a lower speed, or is it stopped?

On the Auto trans, I see two steel tubes exiting (entering) the trans on passenger side, does this mean trans cooler? On the grill I see the AC condensor, the radiator and only one tube with round fins going across the front of the rad, i this trans fluid?, does the trams fluid also go through the radiator?
There is one skid pan under the rad, so that blocks everything visually.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts