Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 02' frontier 4x2 4 banger 5spd last night w/ 60k. Went ahead with a 3yr 36k warrenty that covers everything engine, drivetrain and electrical. I was cruising through the FAQ's on this section and had a few questions.

The manifolds have problems with cracking? also, the timing belt/chain (not sure which it has) will it be a problem around a 100k i will need to address?

Truck is clean as hell and well taken care of, drove, idles, everthing just fine, these trucks have alot of problems with the cooling system? read something about them heating up at idle, if there is anything I should look for/into i would appreciate anything i know nothing about this truck, I am big into powerstrokes and this is whole new ball game

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Good pick. I am pretty sure that the 4cyl have a timing chain that take longer to wear out 200kish? (someone should know). My v6 has a belt that needs to be done at 100k. Here are all the parts (probably cheaper than your dealer) that you would need Timing Chain :: Maintenance :: Frontier Parts (D22U) 1998-2004 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com
The v6 manafolds like to crack but again I am not too sure about the 4cyl. If they do you could look into headers. I can only seem to find them for pre01 trucks but Exhaust & Emissions - Auto Parts Warehouse) had header pipes for an 02.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Sounds like a good choice in the truck.

I remember driving through Tenino many times on my way to Spanaway and Ft Lewis.

·
Registered
302 Posts
These are great little trucks. I didnt change my belt till around 115k miles or so. Im rockin 165k miles and its lifted and i wheel it here and there.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Good pick. I am pretty sure that the 4cyl have a timing chain that take longer to wear out 200kish? (someone should know)
I've heard of them needing replaced, but it is not the norm. My '94 has over 400,000 with the original chain.
Just bought 02' frontier 4x2 4 banger 5spd last night w/ 60k. Went ahead with a 3yr 36k warrenty that covers everything engine, drivetrain and electrical. I was cruising through the FAQ's on this section and had a few questions.

The manifolds have problems with cracking? also, the timing belt/chain (not sure which it has) will it be a problem around a 100k i will need to address?

Truck is clean as hell and well taken care of, drove, idles, everthing just fine, these trucks have alot of problems with the cooling system? read something about them heating up at idle, if there is anything I should look for/into i would appreciate anything i know nothing about this truck, I am big into powerstrokes and this is whole new ball game
Those are all issues that the six cylinders have. The known issues with the fours are as follows...

Just keep good oil/filters/belts on it & you should be fine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My exhaust manifold cracked between ports 2 and 3, it was 4 years old at the time. No telling how really. I raced quads when I was stationed in the states, so I was off road quite a bit going to different parks or forests. Perhaps, I struck something good without realizing it. If I did there was no physical evidence along the exhaust anywhere. I bought the Pacesetter header because it was cheaper. Be warned though, the Pacesetter header didn't line up like it was supposed too. I had to have a guy over here line it up with the rest of the exhaust and EGR line. Other than that mine has been great.

-GT

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Congrats & Welcome!

As stated, you have a chain and the problems you listed are v-6 related. The only "problems" I've had with mine are a lot of front end squeaks and noisy belts. Oh, some complain of chain rattle but (knock wood) I've been lucky with not having that.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The chain as well as the engine will outlast the truck in most cases.
Theres always a select few that will have problems out of the thousands of Frontiers out there, but I have to stick up for the v6 in this thread as well.

The v6 a very good reliable engine but it is the one with the crappy exhaust manifolds. (pre 03 )
My dads Supercharged v6 is over 200k and runs great.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You're more than welcome here, but don't forget to check out the 4 banger lounge.
Front brakes and cooling system are my pet peeves. But I'm runnin' a v6.
I'd be working on draining/flushing all the fluids and replacing them with a synthetic. Pack the front wheel bearings with my first brake job.
Properly cared for that truck will run forever. Enjoy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts