Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you're not supposed to drive with it in 4WD with it on dry pavement. That being said, I don't exactly have any stretch of area that I can (legally) go onto something other than dry pavement.

So, I'm curious for testing purposes (I just bought it!), can I set it in 4WD and run it for 300ft or less? Same question applies for 4WD-Lo.

From what I know of 4WD and dry-pavement, it mostly relates to the front wheels spinning at a slightly faster rate to keep the driveline under tension, so I imagine the inability for the driveline to release the extra tension from driving on something that gives good traction (dry pavement), is what causes damage? I'm assuming that's true, then 300ft (or less) shouldn't cause too much of a build up of tension unless they're running a pretty high ratio between front and rear...

So...anyone have an answer?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
you can engage your 4wd to test it on dry pavement, dont mash the gas and i wouldn't really turn much. i actually do this often a night when i get home. i pull in my parking spot, stop and put it in 4hi then back out of the spot and pull back in, then i (and this is the exact way you have to put it in 4lo or it wont go in) stop put it in neutral then with my foot on the brakes i move the selector to 4lo, once engaged i put it in drive and once again back out of the spot and pull back in then its the same to come out of 4lo, they i put it back in 2wd and shut er down and head in. this is usually my nightly thing i do as i smoke my last cig for the night. i'm a firm believer that components don't like going long times with out use so i make sure all things get fairly frequently used. but thats just me

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't know if the front wheels spin faster than rear ones when driving on a straight course (at least I haven't read anything about it), maybe someone can elaborate more on it (keeping driveline under tension as you said, which I don't understand).

Personally I drive for a short distance on a straight route with 4wd engaged, as colin said, so as for the whole system to get lubed up. You should also turn on your A/C from time to time (that is if your vehicle is equipped with one) for the same good function/maintenance purpose.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Go ahead and test the 4wd, just don't go driving around the block like the others have said. And as far as engaging 4wd just to use it, I think is unessecary. We have auto hubs therfore the front diff is spinning everytime we drive. I have never enagaged 4wd in my 1993 Toyota pickup that went 240k miles, and 4wd worked everytime I needed it. The toyota with the 3.0 eventally blew a cylinder and I sold it for my frontier......

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
neither one of us said anything about driving around the block in 4wd i mentioned backing in and out of a parking spot and tsounts said he would go a short distance in a strait line, both hardly come close to "driving around the block". while the front diff and all of that is spinning at all times while driving my main concern is the electronic shift solenoid on the transfercase. working on boats i see this all the time, boat runs fine all summer and everything works flawlessly, boat sits for 8 months in a climate controlled storage area of some sort on a batt conditioner and when it comes time to take it out again something doesn't work and its generally electrical (usually a relay or solenoid or some sort of small electric motor for a component). while our customers in climates where they can boat year round have many less such failures. in fact the customers out running their boats all year tend to have much less failures across the board when compared to store boats with similar hours on them. many components of all types simply don't like go extended periods without use.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
neither one of us said anything about driving around the block in 4wd i mentioned backing in and out of a parking spot and tsounts said he would go a short distance in a strait line, both hardly come close to "driving around the block". while the front diff and all of that is spinning at all times while driving my main concern is the electronic shift solenoid on the transfercase. working on boats i see this all the time, boat runs fine all summer and everything works flawlessly, boat sits for 8 months in a climate controlled storage area of some sort on a batt conditioner and when it comes time to take it out again something doesn't work and its generally electrical (usually a relay or solenoid or some sort of small electric motor for a component). while our customers in climates where they can boat year round have many less such failures. in fact the customers out running their boats all year tend to have much less failures across the board when compared to store boats with similar hours on them. many components of all types simply don't like go extended periods without use.
i was agreeing with you... like you guys said, just go up and down the driveway, don't go driving around the block... misunderstanding. to each their own, if you like to use your 4wd just to keep using it that's cool with me.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i was agreeing with you... like you guys said, just go up and down the driveway, don't go driving around the block... misunderstanding. to each their own, if you like to use your 4wd just to keep using it that's cool with me.
my bad mate, bit of a misunderstanding on my part about the driving around the block part, these things happen in text. my apologies. i didn't mean for an aggressive tone with the rest if it came across that way, just putting some explanation and incite as to my reasoning :noworries:

·
Registered
569 Posts
my bad mate, bit of a misunderstanding on my part about the driving around the block part, these things happen in text. my apologies. i didn't mean for an aggressive tone with the rest if it came across that way, just putting some explanation and incite as to my reasoning :noworries:
I fell in the same pit, that missing comma changed the whole meaning of the sentence. I was sure I'd never said anything about driving around the block in 4wd.

No harm done, :noworries:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Agree with everyone else. Straightline is okay for four wheel drive, don't turn on solid surfaces as that can lead to binding of the drive wheels and break stuff

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
....I have never enagaged 4wd in my 1993 Toyota pickup that went 240k miles, and 4wd worked everytime I needed it....
what am i reading wrong here? You have never engaged it, yet 4wd worked everytime you needed it.

Only way I can see that making sense is if you never needed it, hence never engaged it.

????

·
Registered
342 Posts
Won't hurt it on dry pavement to try it out just as said no turns. I live in Massachusetts so I'm never more that a couple days away from a snow storm and use 4x4 constantly. the two weeks a year it doesn't snow I go trailing. Scotty.

·
Registered
832 Posts
what am i reading wrong here? You have never engaged it, yet 4wd worked everytime you needed it.

Only way I can see that making sense is if you never needed it, hence never engaged it.

????
This deserves hall of fame. LMAO

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

????
I meant I never engaged it just for the sake of engaging it. Man I need to stop replying with my iPhone... Dam screen is too small for this stuff

This deserves hall of fame. LMAO
Cute, print it, frame it, mount it in your bathroom.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Where do you live? There might be someone in your area that can suggest a place to test out your 4x4. Not necessarily trails but some empty area...

I wanted to do the same thing the first week I got my truck. Drove around the city for a while (2 wheel) till I came across a huge open lot where some old warehouses used to be. Lucky for me it was still pretty muddy and I just went to town for a little while. Made sure not to stick around too long in case cops rolled up, but it was definitely fun to try it out and get dirty.

Then later I found some trails to hit. Go out, have some fun, and be a little daring. Why not, right?

·
Registered
214 Posts
i have a question ... if rain is pouring .. and i find the rear of my van to be losing traction alot... could i engage 4wd to aid without issue and risk of damaging anything?
This has come up a few times in the forum before, and the general consensus among the members here is to just drive slower and be careful, no need to engage 4x4.

However, I have been in a situation or two where it was coming down cats and dogs with some flash flooding in the streets. In that case I thought it was necessary, and it did save my butt when another driver lost control. Now, would I still have been able to dodge the person while in 2 wheel drive, maybe... but it was nice having the assurance of 4x4.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my 2.5td has tons of torque and from the time the van hits boost thats it .. .. since reading all of this abt front diffs grenading i used it less .. but b4 .. i did alot... turning the steering just got a little harder .. it actually felt like something would break sometimes..

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
there is a dirt road somewhere within an hour of you. go horse around and have some fun.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Don't use 4wd on rainy roads. Your tires are designed to squeegee the water off the road as you drive over it, hence the road is essentially dry.

Too many people confuse 4WD with AWD.. they are not the same thing.

Unless you need 4wd engaged, there is no reason to use it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts