Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally managed to sign up. Been trying for a week. Figured out it takes a long combo of letters, case, symbols to enroll.
Bought a friends 2010 Nissan Frontier Crew cab, 2 wheel drive, Auto V-6 2 weeks ago minutes ahead of the repo man. It was his dad's truck originally. Dad died, he inherited it 2 years ago, hocked it at a title loan company that charged 186% interest (kid you not, no limit in Missouri) to pay the taxes on his mom's house and could not keep up with payments. Truck has 138,305 2 owner miles on it now and looks beautiful. Drove fantastic the 297 miles I've owned it then everything went nuts. Driver air bag light came on. Replaced the clock spring, then the DCV light came on. Drove it down the road and it went out. Now it has suddenly started to make a loud crunching sound, slows down, brake pedal feels like the anti skid is running a harsh cycle and the slip light comes on. Emailed the service department at the nissan dealer twice to see about and appointment and no return call or email. Also called and left a message with the receptionist who said they were busy and still no return call. Really cannot afford more than a diagnosis anyway as we are both retired with $890 a month social security. I loved the truck as it was smaller than our full size dodge and easy for my wife to get in and out but after reading forums for 2 weeks starting to have my doubts. Did order running boards for her to make it a bit easier to access. Tried to post in another forum but got a message I was not allowed. I pulled the wheel position sensors today and the rt rear was covered in rust, otherwise looks fine. Never been wrecked or under water. Always adult driven, originally a south Carolina truck so not a spot of rust. Can codes be read on this? I have read not possible but was able to turn off the airbag light and program the remote with the turn key on off cycle bit I found on the internet. Most posts about this complain about spending thousands and many trips to the stealer and may or not be fixed yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would hate to junk it before I pay off the $700 I borrowed from paypal to complete the purchase. Generally I keep a vehicle forever. Had the same ford for 38 years, now has 179,800 miles and the same dodge for 18 years, now has 134,000 miles. Hoped this would last me a few too. Thanks. d

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Any time you disconnect the battery, The VDC light will come on until you drive the truck a certain distance in a straight line.

Is the check engine light on? many auto parts stores will check engine codes for you free of charge. Autozone is the common one around here that does it free.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No check engine light and the VDC went out after I drove it down the road. The drive it in a straight line for 15 seconds bit, then the first curve it started doing the crunching noise and slip light coming on. disconnected the battery again so it could do the self diagnose bit when driving straight again and it still does it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Book said premium. Since we run that in everything else no issue to me. State law mandates ethanol in lower grades and I've seen many issues from that pond water crap.

Took it by O'Reilly and it said there are no stored codes.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you have a local Autozone or maybe Advance Auto, they should do a diagnostic for free. You may want to call and check first. If it's something you can fix in your garage, you can just get the repair parts and jot have to pay an arm and a leg for simple stuff.

I didn't read all of shizzy's last post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts