Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 CC SV 4.0 AT I love the truck.....mostly. It's definitely an upgrade from my '96 Siverado. I buy a new truck every twenty years whether I need it or not. :) My only two "training" issues are the larger turning radius and the truck doesn't seem to "stay put" in lane when on the highway. It really likes to wander. I'm sort of willing to chalk it up to the big tires. But, it's a bit of a PITA and I was wondering if others have the same experience?

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
Have you physically checked your tire pressures?

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
Check the tire pressures and have the wheel alignment checked, even if the mileage is low. There have been a few that have showed up brand new at the dealers that have had alignments out of spec.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ok have the same truck, purchased this past March. Sorry to report I do NOT have a similar problem. So far it has stayed true after nearly 10K miles, 2k of it towing. Has a couple of annoyances, but nothing engine or driveline related.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
What these guys have said is a good place to start.

I will add that our steering is truck like, go figure right.
There is enough play in the wheel that corrections require more input than say my wife's Acura.
I'm used to it and don't even think about it.
The only time I notice is when I'm driving the wife's vehicle and my steering input turns out to be a little excessive at times, lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for the feedback. I do know how a truck is supposed to feel. I'll do some checking and make an appt. at the dealer for an alignment check.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turned out to be a tire pressure issue, from the dealer they were on the high side 44-47 when cold which means they were over inflated when warm.....which brings up the next question.....the sidewall says 44 psi max, door post says 35 psi for all tires what is right? I knocked them all down to 37 and it drives much better. Hence my participation in the TPMS thread :) Real time tire pressure is a good thing to monitor.

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
I run mine at 35 and the truck rides great.
Ditto.

Guessing ALL my tire pressure gauges combined cost less than one TPMS unit, let alone 4 of them.
(just sayin'. ::smile::)

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Glad you found the issue. I run my 285 Duratrac's at 36 and my X tracks perfectly straight. On my Frontier, I also ran my 265/75-16 Hankook's at 36 but they were E rated. If you are running the stock tires, I'd recommend 35psi unless you are towing or carrying a load.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
The two lane highways in Baja are dangerous,especially with a wandering truck.I always run a bit negative camber and it keeps the truck tracking straight , my Dodge anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
The truck comes with very little caster. I think they bumpped up the caster angle slightly on the newer trucks. I bought cam bolts and adjusted for max caster. This helped a bunch with the truck wandering on the highway.

The max pressure on the tire is for the tire. Every vehicle is different. Go with the door sticker. Even then I think that 35 is a little high. With my stock rugged trails I found that at 35 it would wear the centers (over inflation). 32 was about right.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Funny thing, I've heard some people claim that the Fronty feels unstable, especially at high speeds. I haven't experienced any real problems.

I have your exact same truck, except mine is a 2015. I think it handles GREAT for a truck. My only complaints about the handling:
1. The suspension is a little stiff, in attempt to make the handling more car-like
2. The steering pump can't always keep up. Quick lock-to-lock is a struggle, so don't attempt any slaloms.
3. In the rain traction is pretty low. I'll even admit, I've had a few code brown moments in bad conditions.

That said, I have 4 vehicles, this is my first truck. I drive the truck almost every day, I just passed 30k after about 17 months. It's happiest at 80 and I regularly pass 100. I've been known to turn the traction control off and drift the truck in the rain, and it's very predictable. I've highway towed at least 7-8,000 of those miles, probably exceeding my GVWR a few times, never a complaint except I know my braking can be inadequate without trailer brakes.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Turned out to be a tire pressure issue, from the dealer they were on the high side 44-47 when cold which means they were over inflated when warm.....which brings up the next question.....the sidewall says 44 psi max, door post says 35 psi for all tires what is right? I knocked them all down to 37 and it drives much better. Hence my participation in the TPMS thread :) Real time tire pressure is a good thing to monitor.
That's ridiculous yet another mechanic failing to complete the dealership acceptance inspection. I use to do these at the Audi dealer they regularly showed up off the transport truck with 50psi or so in the tires. I believe this was to prevent low tire pressures during the shipping from overseas. Lesson learned check tire pressures at the dealer, or after you get the vehicle home. My Elise tires were filled 10psi too much at delivery from the dealer, it rode horrible until I checked the tire pressures.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I fill my tires to exactly 40psi on all my vehicles. Yes, it will go up to about 45psi when warm, but after a month or 2, you can expect them to creep down to about 30-35psi.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I fill my tires to exactly 40psi on all my vehicles. Yes, it will go up to about 45psi when warm, but after a month or 2, you can expect them to creep down to about 30-35psi.
With all the vehicles you have listed you shouldn't be just putting 40psi in the front and back tires in all of them and calling it good. Nissan recommends 35psi on the Frontier. Through the 11yrs and 140k I've driven in mine I find 36psi in the front and 32psi in the rear gives me the best wear and better steering feel. I bump the rear to 35psi when towing my 4700lb RV. I pretty sure the M5 doesn't recommend the same pressure front and rear. All the higher performance Audi's I worked on had different pressures in the front and rear. I also thought it was weird the door stick tire pressures in the Audi's were actually recommend tire pressure if you were at GVW, full load. You had to look in the manual to find the recommended tire pressures for normal load drivng.

Reactions: illzoni

·
Registered
216 Posts
the sidewall says 44 psi max, door post says 35 psi for all tires what is right?
Both, but they represent two different things.

44 is the max PSI and and 35 is the recommended PSI. The MAX is theoretically the greatest amount of pressure you can safely inflate the tire and drive on it. The recommended PSI (door jamb) is designed to provide a combination comfort, wear, traction, etc. (overall performance).

Higher than recommended usually results in comfort (rides hard) and center wear issues. However, under-inflation is a safety issue due to heat build up, etc.

This article does a decent job of explaining it: Determining the Right PSI - Tire Review Magazine

·
Registered
331 Posts

With all the vehicles you have listed you shouldn't be just putting 40psi in the front and back tires in all of them and calling it good. Nissan recommends 35psi on the Frontier. Through the 11yrs and 140k I've driven in mine I find 36psi in the front and 32psi in the rear gives me the best wear and better steering feel. I bump the rear to 35psi when towing my 4700lb RV. I pretty sure the M5 doesn't recommend the same pressure front and rear. All the higher performance Audi's I worked on had different pressures in the front and rear. I also thought it was weird the door stick tire pressures in the Audi's were actually recommend tire pressure if you were at GVW, full load. You had to look in the manual to find the recommended tire pressures for normal load drivng.
I get that there's no catch all, but there's also no particular correct answer, either, as long as you keep it between 30 and 40 (cold). It can vary between different vehicles, driving styles, and conditions.

When you have 4 cars, things like tire pressure get overlooked, and they will bleed down over the course of a few months. Filling to 40-cold will ensure they will be in the safe range for weeks or months to come, I usually won't check back until they seem a little low, and I'll usually come to find they're sitting at 29-30-cold after about 6-8 weeks. Never had any complaints about handling, dry/wet traction, braking, or tire wear. The M5 is (factory) cambered, so tires go pretty quick, anyhow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts