Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my truck for a little over 6 months now. Everything has been great but I will need to be towing a 5x10 ft enclosed trailer soon for work, not regularly but on occasion. I have never towed anything in my life. I have an '07 CC LWB 4x4 with the Tow Package. I have picked up the ball, ball mount and wiring connector. Besides getting everything connected is there anything else I need to do? I have done a good amount of reading on the forums and now to keep the speed down and turn OD off etc. The trailer has automatic surge brakes so I do not need a brake controller. Lastly, I need to put the ball and ball mount together, is there anything special I should know? Just use a wrench and crank down? Any technique or special? Any input would be great. Thanks.

-S

·
Registered
8 Posts
You'll probably need two wrenches to assemble the ball mount; one to keep the ball from spinning and the other to crank away on the nut. Reese makes one where the ball fits into and groove and doesn't spin so you'd only need one wrench in that case. I'm sure there is a proper torque for that but I just tighten it until it smokes.

My boat trailer has surge brakes. Remember that when you stop the trailer moves forward on the ball which actuates the brakes. If you take off too fast after a stop the tongue will slam back against the ball. So ease off of the brake and onto the accelerator after a stop until to feel it make contact. Then give it some gas.

If you've never towed before then you'll need some practice backing. No real easy way to explain it. Just remember everything is reversed. If you want the trailer to go right, then turn the wheel to the left. Watch that you don't jacknife the trailer or you be looking for a new bumper. I watched a lady ruin her bumper at the boat ramp the other day. Also remember to leave room for extra wide turns. 10' long isn't too long but you don't want to run over any curbs or clip anyone's car.

Just double-check all of the usual stuff (tire pressure, safety chains, trailer lights) and take it slow and you'll be fine.

Eric

·
Registered
578 Posts
this might sound stupid but when backing you should try to hold the wheel and the bottom and just turn the wheel the way you want to the trail to go because turning the wheel opposite is harder than it sounds because it is against ones driving instincts

·
Registered
8 Posts
this might sound stupid but when backing you should try to hold the wheel and the bottom and just turn the wheel the way you want to the trail to go because turning the wheel opposite is harder than it sounds because it is against ones driving instincts
Not stupid at all. I've heard it explained this way before. It makes sense especially if you are learning.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've just started towing too, I bought a boat last month. The boat and trailer weigh around 2800 lbs dry. My first towing trip I was a nervous wreck. The truck towed fine though. I did have the hitch ball knock when stopping and going but when I got back I discovered that the brake fluid resevoir was empty. I filled it and bled the brakes and I don't get the hitch knock anymore. The truck handled all the braking duties fine but you could feel the extra effort. After filling the brakes up it made a huge difference. I think you'll be fine with such a small trailer. I'm pretty sure the limit without the weight distributing hitch is 4k, if I'm wrong anyone feel free to correct me. It will take a little getting used to but your truck will tow fine. As for backing up try to just make small corrections. If you try to adjust to much then you'll get all cockeyed fast.

·
Registered
578 Posts
frontiers can tow like crazy my mom has a 06 v6 6speed and i towed a 7000 lbs camper a short distance with no problems for a short distance but i would not advise doing it for a long distance and we didnt have the trailer brakes hooked up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts