Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m new to this frontier world. My dad handed me his 2001 Nissan frontier crew cab. I was looking to get a used truck and he decided to give me his, it’s not a bad truck!! It’s a 2wd and I wanted to take it off roading, I’m not really into the mudding deal, I live in Northern California and there are some nice trails around, where I would like to take this truck. What are the most basic upgrades I need to do to it before I can hit the trails? It’s a 2wd so I know I can’t go on the “difficult” trails. So I was wondering what else I need to get done to this truck in order for me to go through a trail without getting stuck. Shocks? Lift? Tires?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
1 first and for most NEVER offroad alone. PERIOD always have a second truck with you, too much can happen by your self been there done that. next up is having armor, sliders and skids. next a PML, crank the t-bars up in the front and add a shackle in the rear. see first gen FAQ for how to. tires are key crappy tires wont get you anywhere, the BFG KM2 MTs are damn good as are other choices but stay away from an AT if you plan on wheeling a good amount as they dont bite/grip as much as a good MT will. see what rear axle you have and get some sort of locker for it so you have true 2wd. you can convert the truck to 4wd IFS or do a solid axle swap for converting to factory 4wd look up onlyonedr on here he was the first to do that mod.

·
Super Moderator
11,721 Posts
"next a PML"

My guess is poor mans lift? Do I win anything? LOL

Clint

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 first and for most NEVER offroad alone. PERIOD always have a second truck with you, too much can happen by your self been there done that. next up is having armor, sliders and skids. next a PML, crank the t-bars up in the front and add a shackle in the rear. see first gen FAQ for how to. tires are key crappy tires wont get you anywhere, the BFG KM2 MTs are damn good as are other choices but stay away from an AT if you plan on wheeling a good amount as they dont bite/grip as much as a good MT will. see what rear axle you have and get some sort of locker for it so you have true 2wd. you can convert the truck to 4wd IFS or do a solid axle swap for converting to factory 4wd look up onlyonedr on here he was the first to do that mod.
thanks man. you helped a lot..

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Before you do anything thou, you should spend some time reading the forums, there are a few out there. Take in as much info as you can and then try and possibly do a ride-along before you hit the trail yourself. You will see how people handle their trucks inside to get the outcome they want on the trail.

After you do this, then really plan out your build since putting money into something to just have to replace it is kinda stupid. Kinda like just adding blocks because they are cheap then deciding to use an add-a-leaf instead.

Lastly, don't forget about overall "travel". The wheel must be allowed to go into droop and into stuff. If you crank everything to the point where there is no droop, it will ride like crap on and offroad. If you don't account for the stuff, it may take out your fenders and other items if you wheels are large enough. Then there is the whole turning issue. If you go too big or have the wrong rims, you are going to rub which will require trimming and etc.... It can get a little harry at times.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before you do anything thou, you should spend some time reading the forums, there are a few out there. Take in as much info as you can and then try and possibly do a ride-along before you hit the trail yourself. You will see how people handle their trucks inside to get the outcome they want on the trail.

After you do this, then really plan out your build since putting money into something to just have to replace it is kinda stupid. Kinda like just adding blocks because they are cheap then deciding to use an add-a-leaf instead.

Lastly, don't forget about overall "travel". The wheel must be allowed to go into droop and into stuff. If you crank everything to the point where there is no droop, it will ride like crap on and offroad. If you don't account for the stuff, it may take out your fenders and other items if you wheels are large enough. Then there is the whole turning issue. If you go too big or have the wrong rims, you are going to rub which will require trimming and etc.... It can get a little harry at times.

I agree. I dont plan on putting much money into this. I just want to be able to access some of these lakes (I camp and fish a lot) that you can get to via some trails here in Northern California. I would like to do more off roading but i think i'm gonna save my time and money for a pro 4 x titan or a frontier in the future. But i think for now i'm just gonna ride this truck for 2-3 yrs. So after doing a whole bunch of research for the past few days, I think i'm just gonna add new shocks (stock ones are shot), keep the same rims but get some MT tires and MAYBE a 2.5 lift depending on if i need it on the trails.

speaking of ride along, i have done many of those but mostly on Tacomas and FJs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts