Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just sold my lifted 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I am looking to get into a Nissan Frontier. Specifically I want a 05 - 08 v6 4x4 with the rear locker and auto transmission. So from what I understand I should look for either a nismo or pro-4x? I plan to start building the truck soon after I buy it so I wanted to know what I am getting myself into. But I have a few questions regarding lift and tire/wheel fitment. So here it goes:

First off, I wanted to install 2.5 inch spacers in front and 1.5 inch blocks in the rear, with a 2 inch body lift all on top of that. So 4.5 inches of total lift. My questions here are can I run stock shocks, control arms, struts, rear shocks, etc with this setup? And also will the 2 inch body lift affect the steering? I have heard it puts a lot of strain on the steering shaft.

Second, for the wheels I wanted to run 20x9 machined aluminum and gloss black GMC Denali replicas (yes I know GMC wheels don't belong on a nissan but I really like the look of them) with 33x10 inch federal Couragia mudders. The lug pattern is obviously not the same so I found a set of 1.25 inch wheel adapters to allow me to use these wheels. But my main concern is the tire width and rim backspacing. The rims have 6.22 inches of backspacing and the tires are 10 wides and I have heard these trucks don't do so well with anything more than 5 inches of backspacing. Will I have scrubbing issues with this setup even with the 1.25 inch spacers? And if they don't quite fit what will need to be cut to keep them from rubbing? And Also will 33 inch tires even fit on the lift I mentioned above?

And I have one other slightly off-topic question what is the acceleration and 0-60 time like on the v6 trucks? Just curious.
I read the sticky on wheels and lift but I wanted to be sure of my exact situation, as I am going from a solid axle unibody vehicle to an IFS boxed frame truck.
Thanks in advance and I apologize if I posted this on the wrong section.

·
Premium Member
6,597 Posts
SOmetimes you need to give folks time to answer.

Nissan used the Nismo name for 05-08 and the Pro-4X name from '09 to current. But, same truck. And yes, both have a rear E locker.

With a 2.5" spacer lift in the front, yes, you can use stock upper control arms, but, you will get coil bucket contact, but, it might be only on speed bumps and Driveway drop offs if you go over them too fast.

Your wheel and tire combo, I cannot say. But, adding wider and or spacers will put the tire in to the pinch weld in the front fender area.

You will find the 4.0L engine to have decent power. 262HP in a midsized truck is not a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
You only gave it 2 hrs, this isn't facebook...

familiarize yourself with the stickies in all the subforums, they cover your questions...

Yes, the Nismo/Pro4X is the offroad model with the locking rear. only difference with a ProX & the rest is tinfoil "skid plates" and electric locker. The early years (believe it was up through 08 or 09) the rear locker only had 2 spider gears, later years they upgraded to 4 after they had warranty claims of the rear spiders failing.

1st: suspension sticky cover this extensively... 2"+ of lift will have CBC. To fix that you need TC/PRG/SPC UCAs. spacers sit on the stock struts.... stock rear shocks will limit droop with 1.5"+ lift. Be sure to jack up the rear frame and watch that the ABS & brake lines don't over-extend, you may have to relocate them (not a big deal). Not sure where you heard that a BL strains the steering shaft... it shouldn't strain it any more than any other BOF truck.

2nd: 33" on 20's won't give you much sidewall... not great for off-road... and if you're not offroading, don't get a ProX, you can get an SL for less/even $ with more creature comforts. (/rant) As for rub... a BL will toss out most of the common knowledge where it comes to rubbing as you're stacking it on a SL. Look up melt mod for where you might have rub... but I doubt you will have any with 4" lift... 35" you may start melting...

performance #s can be found with google, but once you lift & tire, all that goes out the window... They have less power than we'd all like, more than it needs... If you want to go big, look to Brennan's v8 swap, or Friten,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts