Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 1999 Frontier XE king cab 4x4 V6 5 speed. It has 203,400 miles on it. Just bought it last month or so and put 3000 trouble free miles on it until it started cutting out real bad at various speeds so I installed new air filter, fuel filter, plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and both valve cover gaskets. After the truck warms up it's cutting out again and idles real rough, it's not showing a check engine light. I put 91 octane fuel in it this evening, a full can of sea foam in the tank and done the sea foam aerosol treatmemt to the intake and it still runs rough. Feel free to throw out educated guesses and ask questions, I have to get it on the road ASAP
THANKS!

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
Vacuum leak? A mechanic buddy replaced a few cracked vacuum lines on my '00 (4-cyl) prior to my selling it to a family member...though I had no issues/symptoms.

Distributor issue? You might do a search on a Gen 1 3.3 V6 distributor issue/replacement for more info.

Fuel pump?

Might your truck have any stored codes that might not trigger a check engine light (CEL)?

Good luck w/ troubleshooting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would a vacuum leak only show its ugly face when the engine is warm?

I'll research known distributor issues

Would anything show up if there is no check engine light on?

Could this be a bad or dirty injector?

I'll check fuel pressure and regulator this weekend. I'm sure I'll find info on that by searching the forum

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
Yes, vacuum leaks are more prone to idle issues I believe...just troubleshootin'.

Check battery terminals/connectors, too. Solid ground?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery is new, I'll also check the grounds this weekend.

Is there any way to test fuel injectors for optimal performance?

After all the sea foam treatments yesterday it's still cutting out after it warms up. Drove it to work this morning 20 miles to see if treatments helped

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Borrowed a scan tool and I'm getting P0325 knock sensor and P1336 crank position sensor. Still no check engine light.

Still bucking like crazy when warmed up and wouldn't hardly idle in the driveway when I got home for work

1 - 7 of 7 Posts