Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I introduced myself when I bought this truck in the new member section... but here's the nightmare I've had since.
On 17 June I bought it from a dealership, used '07 crewcab 4X4 with 116K on it, but, it had a "service engine soon" light. I bought it with an understanding they would fix whatever is causing the light and they agreed.
On 23 June they told mold me it had an O2 code and they replaced the wiring harness but that didn't fix it.
On 24 June they told me it was ready to pick up but couldn't tell me what further they did. I took it home.
On 25 June in the morning the light come.. back to the dealer.
On 25 June in the afternoon they told me it was ready. Again, what they did seems to be a secret. Took it home.
On 26 June in the morning... you guessed it... light came on. Back to the dealer.
That's where it is now... I told them this is the last time. Don't call me until it's fixed, because if that light comes on again I'm taking it back one more time for a full refund....
Any ideas? Thoughts? Advice?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Sounds like all their doing is clearing the code. More info would be needed to try and help out. I think if you have a Autozone or some other auto parts store around.. you should have them hook up a scan tool to see if that’s what they show.

It may have more than one issue but at least you’ll have the codes and can bring them here and see if we can help. How does it run when the cel is on?

·
Registered
180 Posts
45 bucks for a code reader would be money well spent.

These trucks are known to be reliable, this forum could probably put you on to a fix.

I'm betting they don't want to replace the Catalytic converters because of cost.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
If you do not have the actual code the truck was throwing at the time of sale, then you are at the mercy of the dealer. They could spend money to fix something and clear the code. Then when the light comes on again, the dealer will claim it's a "different" code and not covered by the pre-sale warranty. You need to find out what the code is.

·
Rogue Admin
13,224 Posts
I have an 07 and my engine light has been on for 4 years. The ground wire to the Evap vent valve is known to erode. Ran a whole new wire one time, it has eroded. First time, the harness was crumbling up by the ECM when the truck was only 18 months old, had to fight Nissan to fix it under warranty as they only warranty electrical for 12 months. Anyways, that is where I would start looking.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had similar problem with a Crossfire. Replaced all the O2 sensors, total of 4. Light would stay off for a couple of days, then back on. Then I would reset codes and it would be a couple of days before the light would come back. My next attempt would have been the Catalytic Converters, but unfortunately it was totaled at a 4 way stop. So, I never got the code resolved, but then now I have my new truck so I guess it got resolved after all.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The problem with the codes on the Frontier is that they do not always point to the problem. At the time of sale the truck may have thrown an O2 sensor code. The salesperson looks at this and figures in $200 to replace the sensor. But like many others, the dealership replaces the sensor numerous times but the code comes back. They may find out that the real problem are the cats which are more costly. They hope you go away and forget about the orange light. There was an owner who went to the dealer with the engine in limp mode. The dealer did an idle relearn which erased the code and restored full power. But limp mode came on again and so did the code. The dealer was befuddled. The owner told them to check the cat and voila, it was trash.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you do not have the actual code the truck was throwing at the time of sale, then you are at the mercy of the dealer. They could spend money to fix something and clear the code. Then when the light comes on again, the dealer will claim it's a "different" code and not covered by the pre-sale warranty. You need to find out what the code is.
*this. There trying to time you out for whatever limited warranty time they gave you. Get a code reader, document the code, take a picture of the code and any pending codes, then take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

And post the codes here so someone here can help you tell them what to fix - if needed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Without knowing what codes are causing the light to turn on and what the dealer has done to fix it each time makes it impossible for anyone here to provide any real help towards finding a solution. Anything said without that information would just be a guess.

A good thing is that the dealer has taken back the truck 3 times to attempt to fix the problem. This shows me they are willing to stick to the agreement. I hope your "understanding" is in writing, otherwise at any point they turn you away and make it your problem if they are unwilling to keep troubleshooting and spending money on fixing it.

My thoughts/advice....Leave it as dealerships problem to sort out and keep taking it back until they fix it. Have them provide paperwork each time you take possession back of the vehicle showing what they diagnosed and fixed.

I'm curious, did you buy it used from a Nissan dealership? Or are you dealing with a non-Nissan dealership?

·
Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
Most of the time, but not all, check engine lights come on for an emissions reason. Usually revolving around the fuel system or smog system. Basic reasons for a check engine light? Gas cap being loose. Sometimes replacing the gas cap with a new OEM one will fix the problem. Another common problem is the 02 sensors. If those don't get replaced promptly, then your cats may fail. So it just kinda snow balls. Evap system is another especially in vehicles 10 yrs or older. Vacuum hoes and such begin to harden up and crack causing issues. Example, my Mom's 2001 Lexus IS300 that she bought new in 2001?? She just spent $1500 fixing the Evap system. All the hoses and vacuum lines were so brittle just touching them they broke. It cost so much because on the IS300 you have to drop the fuel tank to fix it. So it happens to allot of cars.

The point here though is the OP bought the truck knowing it had the Engine light on with the promise the dealer would fix it. My guess? They are either not checking it at all and just clearing the codes, OR they know what it is and they don't want to pay. There goes their profit type of thing.

Will be interesting to see what happens here. Please keep us posted either way. Curious how this will pan out.

DId you buy this Truck from a Nissan Dealer? or?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Most of the big dealers will have connections with other dealers. Once there tech can't fix it they will farm it out to the Nissan dealer who can actually fix it. The dealer was trying to fix it in house at first, it is the least cost to them.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Most of the big dealers will have connections with other dealers. Once there tech can't fix it they will farm it out to the Nissan dealer who can actually fix it. The dealer was trying to fix it in house at first, it is the least cost to them.
Yeah I’m glad to hear it is a larger dealership that he purchased it from.. better odds of getting it taken care of.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just got word they are replacing both catalytic converters today.... We'll see...

I wish they would do the O2 sensors also....:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the truck back..no light so far. But when I looked at the catalytic converters they don't look new and even look cut up and welded.
Could this dealer have just hollowed them out to keep the light from coming on?
I hate dealers!

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
Someone needs to be put under a BRIGHT light...and interrogated at that dealership's service dept.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
But when I looked at the catalytic converters they don't look new and even look cut up and welded.
Could this dealer have just hollowed them out to keep the light from coming on?
I believe that would be against EPA regulations/illegal.

I hate dealers!
Fully understand.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts