Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 05 frontier nismo 4x4 with automatic trans & i am having some issues with the transmission. No coolant contamination & actually the previous owner just had the trans rebuilt only 14,000 miles ago for the tune of $4600 bucks according to the receipt i have which is crazy because when i dropped the pan it sure didnt look good in there? Anyways i ordered a new valve body & really hoping that fixes my problems but im not to sure it will since while i had the pan off i pulled the valve body off & cleaned it all up & checked it out & didnt find any broken pins/wires whatever they are that run to the solenoids. All the solenoids came out easily only thing i could find that i thought would have been causing my issue was a bunch of metal shavings (very fine) all over the valve body electrical stuff & maybe causing them to arc across each other? Although after cleaning everything up & reinstalling it im still having same issues which is or actually has been changing since i got it? When purchasing it the trans was supposed to be fine especially since po just spent 4600 bucks to have it rebuilt which btw wasnt fron coolant contamination? Not sure why but it did have cel on & when i first looked at it i ran codes & saw the trans code i forgot what exact code it was but trans was working fine? Then about 3 weeks or so later i ended up buying the truck for a decent price (since i was worried a out the trans) & i met the guy about 45 min away from my house which was halfway so he had already drove 45 min & on my way home when i got off the freeway i noticed it was stuck in like 4th gear which since then i read was a limp mode. Anyways so i got it home after it cooled down i drove it & it was shifting fine again? Ran the codes & it had 11 trans codes! The first code was u1000 so i was thinking that was probably why so many other codes? Checked fluid & it was nasty especially since it only had 14,000 miles since full rebuild? So i changed it took it for a spin & trans now would slip if in 5th unless i ran with od button off? Fluid was still nasty so i changed it again & actually seemed to get even worse & occasionally now wouldn't go into reverse? Started reading online & read that the valve body could need replaced so i ordered one (hasnt arrived) & since im impatient i decided to pull my valve body out & check it out. When i dropped the pan there was tons of metal shavings on the magnets & everywhere really never really found any bigger pieces just mainly fine metal shavings. Cleaned the vb all up put it back in & still having same issue? I know i should wait for the new vb & see if that fixes it but since i didnt really find anything obvious with the one in it that looked bad im not sure its gonna help. The only code im getting now is p1716 but even before this all started if i cleared the codes it would take a while for them to come back & i haven't driven it much since i dont wanna hurt it anymore until i try the new vb. But the lil i did drive it actually will shift fine as long as i leave the od off & when its still cool but when trans gets up to temp then it will go into 2nd gear limp mode & reverse wont work? So i have been looking online for used trans just incase the vb doesnt fix my problems & i keep reading diff info on what trans are interchangeable? Ive read that any 05-12 2wd or 4wd trans will work just need to unbolt the tailshaft housing & swap it over but that the shift points & tcm might not work right (but i figured i could use my new vb & hoping that will take care of those problems? ) then ive read that the 2wd trans wont work or at least not without pulling the trans all apart to swap the output shaft or smthen not too sure? Also my truck is a 4wd nismo with locking diff & when looking at trans i see alot that say "without locking" does this mean i have to find one with locking? Is ther any difference in the trans or is it just a electronic thing & if so could i just use my new vb? Srry for the long post but i wanted to give as much info as possible just incase anyone else has had similar issues & might be able to help point me in the right direction? Also i apologize for my grammer or punctuation i guess it definitely could be better. Thank u in advance for any advice or info i very much appreciate it!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just purchased a 05 frontier nismo 4x4 with automatic trans & i am having some issues with the transmission. No coolant contamination & actually the previous owner just had the trans rebuilt only 14,000 miles ago for the tune of $4600 bucks according to the receipt i have which is crazy because when i dropped the pan it sure didnt look good in there? Anyways i ordered a new valve body & really hoping that fixes my problems but im not to sure it will since while i had the pan off i pulled the valve body off & cleaned it all up & checked it out & didnt find any broken pins/wires whatever they are that run to the solenoids. All the solenoids came out easily only thing i could find that i thought would have been causing my issue was a bunch of metal shavings (very fine) all over the valve body electrical stuff & maybe causing them to arc across each other? Although after cleaning everything up & reinstalling it im still having same issues which is or actually has been changing since i got it? When purchasing it the trans was supposed to be fine especially since po just spent 4600 bucks to have it rebuilt which btw wasnt fron coolant contamination? Not sure why but it did have cel on & when i first looked at it i ran codes & saw the trans code i forgot what exact code it was but trans was working fine? Then about 3 weeks or so later i ended up buying the truck for a decent price (since i was worried a out the trans) & i met the guy about 45 min away from my house which was halfway so he had already drove 45 min & on my way home when i got off the freeway i noticed it was stuck in like 4th gear which since then i read was a limp mode. Anyways so i got it home after it cooled down i drove it & it was shifting fine again? Ran the codes & it had 11 trans codes! The first code was u1000 so i was thinking that was probably why so many other codes? Checked fluid & it was nasty especially since it only had 14,000 miles since full rebuild? So i changed it took it for a spin & trans now would slip if in 5th unless i ran with od button off? Fluid was still nasty so i changed it again & actually seemed to get even worse & occasionally now wouldn't go into reverse? Started reading online & read that the valve body could need replaced so i ordered one (hasnt arrived) & since im impatient i decided to pull my valve body out & check it out. When i dropped the pan there was tons of metal shavings on the magnets & everywhere really never really found any bigger pieces just mainly fine metal shavings. Cleaned the vb all up put it back in & still having same issue? I know i should wait for the new vb & see if that fixes it but since i didnt really find anything obvious with the one in it that looked bad im not sure its gonna help. The only code im getting now is p1716 but even before this all started if i cleared the codes it would take a while for them to come back & i haven't driven it much since i dont wanna hurt it anymore until i try the new vb. But the lil i did drive it actually will shift fine as long as i leave the od off & when its still cool but when trans gets up to temp then it will go into 2nd gear limp mode & reverse wont work? So i have been looking online for used trans just incase the vb doesnt fix my problems & i keep reading diff info on what trans are interchangeable? Ive read that any 05-12 2wd or 4wd trans will work just need to unbolt the tailshaft housing & swap it over but that the shift points & tcm might not work right (but i figured i could use my new vb & hoping that will take care of those problems? ) then ive read that the 2wd trans wont work or at least not without pulling the trans all apart to swap the output shaft or smthen not too sure? Also my truck is a 4wd nismo with locking diff & when looking at trans i see alot that say "without locking" does this mean i have to find one with locking? Is ther any difference in the trans or is it just a electronic thing & if so could i just use my new vb? Srry for the long post but i wanted to give as much info as possible just incase anyone else has had similar issues & might be able to help point me in the right direction? Also i apologize for my grammer or punctuation i guess it definitely could be better. Thank u in advance for any advice or info i very much appreciate it!
As reference:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya srry i didnt realize it was as long as it is till i saw it after posting jeez anyways i should get the valve body today im hoping its gonna work but i kinda doubt it. Here is a pic of my pan when i dropped it besides the idk paint crap peeling which makes it look even worse but it doesnt look good to me especially for only having 15000 miles? But i haven't dropped many pans & non with magnets like this one & even though it all seemed to be fine material it sure looks like alot?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Sorry I can’t help.. I wouldn’t touch a transmission! Lol
Sounds like that shop took the previous owner..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya i agree especially since i only paid $2000 for truck. Anyone know if the refurbished oem valve bodys on ebay are any good?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to update i ended up replacing the transmission with one from a 2012 pathfinder 4wd. I did use my original tcm but the valve body is one i had purchased off Ebay that came out of a titan. Also i used the torque converter that came the trans. I got the trans off ebay for $565 bucks including free shipping from i think atlanta or smthen to norther California. The trans had 61,000 miles on it & i went with the 2012 trans because they are way cheaper than the 05,06,07... i wasnt exactly sure it was all gonna work right but so far so good! I did read a few things that said the 2013 trans were a lil diff & idk if those will work if you use your original tcm or not but i can confirm the 2012 trans works great with my original tcm & a used valve body. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok an update of the update haha. So i spoke too soon the new used 2012 pathfinder trans worked great the first & second test drive but then i took it on a long drive to make sure & it started shifting weird from 3rd to 4th then it even seemed to slip a lil in 5th? I hooked up my scanner to see if any codes & to monitor the tcm signals & it was throwing another p1716 ? Also the atf temp 2 signal showed 230 degrees? I think i read that the num 2 atf temp signal reads the fluid after it comes out of the torque converter idk if that matters & i think the atf temp 1 was about the same temp anyways ? Also one difference between my old trans & this 2012 is there is not a temp sensor on the valve body on 2012 so i wasnt sure if that might be causing some issues. Anyways i ended up dropping the pan again & swapped out the valve body/ tcm & put the vb/tcm that came with the 2012 trans back in & so far its been shifting perfect? Which is kinda crazy since i didnt have the tcm programmed to work with my 05 frontier? Im hoping that since its working great so far (ive driven maybe 50 miles) that its good now? Also even tho it doest have the temp sensor on the valve body like my old trans i still show 2 separate trans temp signals on my scanner? Which actually seem a lil high its only around 45 degrees ambient temp & on the freeway the trans temp is right around 180f & when getting on the freeway once it went up to 210f it did drop right back down & that is the atf temp 2 signal which i think reads right as the fluid comes out of the torque converter? Not sure if that makes any diff or if this is smthen i can do anything about or be worried about? I am running valvoline max life full synthetic multi vehicle fluid. Would switching to the actual nissan matic s fluid be a good idea or maybe amsoil? Srry for the long post & i very much appreciate any help anyone has to offer me! Thank you & god bless!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts