Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yes. I joined. I am a tech for a living so I get to play with this everyday (unfortunately not alot of Nissans expectantly Frontiers) However I am very familiar with the VQ40DE (The 4.0L) I have done a few in my time. Also some of the QR25DE in the altimas. I am rather curious of what other owners of this truck\engine package have experienced. Since I have bought the truck I have had the Cat break at the welds (2000 miles) 2 rear axils fail (20k first one was due to bad pinion second one was because the tech that did it under warranty forgot to put oil in it the Third ones going strong 36k now) I don't rag my truck mind you. (never really go over 3k) however I do drive it alot then don't drive it at all for weeks. I love the truck but there are somethings like a harmonic vibration at 55-60mph 2000-2200 rpm that I think is caused by the large sections of unsupported exhaust pipe. Thinking a damper will fix that. And I want to balance the drive shaft. Also the rear end wines at high way under load (every rear end has done this.) Oh and the infernal hood sqweek >.< (fixed that with some high test electrical tape around the latch ;P ) I put a Magnaflow on it (Best decision ever I love this engines tone) I want to know how other 4 cyl owners have fared with their trucks. I know this engine has alot of fixes done to it to fix some known issues (i wonder if the cat is still a problem???)

Anyways Thanks for Reading my rant. I will most likely post the questions at some point
Plexus

·
Registered
397 Posts
...welcome to the "active" users, enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
When my 5th gear started what you are describing Nissan replaced the trans under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When my 5th gear started what you are describing Nissan replaced the trans under warranty.
yeah...I talked to a guy that rebuilds Manual transmissions for the Transmission shop we use (hes really good) He said it sounds like the Counter shaft bearing is starting to go on it. Its not uncommon on them. Its around 400-500 to rebuild. I was given a warranty with the truck due to all the problems I have had. But I really don't want some kid that probably should not be changing oil to replace the transmission in my truck. The guy who did the rear end cross threaded the shock bolts -.-....that was fun... thank god for Matco Impacts! So for peace of mind I will end up doing it myself. Besides the local Nissan Dealers cant diag a Physically broken rear axle..I highly doubt they will notice the rattle or the vibration....And they farm of the rebuilds to Amco...*shudders* so I much rather pay for it and sleep well knowing shes in good hands. Old ones but good. I do love this truck... I wish it did not develop a Major issue every year -.-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts