Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
okay, so i thought i researched enough here, elsewhere online and talking direct with the 4wheelparts dude on the phone that ultimately sold me the tires/wheels but turns out i've got contact between my new front tires and the wheel wells when turning either direction even just 30 degrees or so. i think what happened is i concentrated solely on the slightly larger diameter i was going to put on, but didn't think at all about how much wider the new tires are.

first the specs:
  • 2002 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 v6
  • old oem tires/wheels: General Grabber AT2 265/70 R15's on stock wheels
  • new tires/wheels: BFG AT T/A KO2 31/10.5 R15's on ProComp 15x8 steel rock crawler wheels

and now the issues:

note there are no clearance issues on the rear, even when i jump on the rear bumper as much as my 200 #'s will move i don't come near to contacting the tires. that being said i work in construction and this bed does get used so i'm sure its better in the long run to lift that too. for that do people like adding leaf springs, blocks, shackles??

i really don't want/need to get into big time suspension mods. this is a daily driver construction and weekend fun truck that does some decent off-roading but nothing huge.

any and all help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Sounds to be like you really got the wrong offset on the rims as the tires are really not all that much different 265/70R15 is 29.7 x 10.9 and a 31 x 10.5 is 30.2 x 10.6 give or take a little... What offset are the rims?

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
^Offset is the main reason they rub so bad. Otherwise the combo looks awesome!

To fix the rubbing, first thing I'd do is remove the mud flaps as that will get you a bit more clearance in the rears of the wheel well. If if still rubs in the rears use a heat gun to soften and push back the fender liner. Search "Melt Mod" on here/Google for details. For the front edge rubbing you'll probably need to cut/ melt some of the plastic fender where the tire is hitting, no other way around it really. With some clever cutting I bet you'll never notice. Even after doing all this they will still rub if you compress the suspension while turning (bumps etc) and that is considered normal when you have big tires.

As for the mud on the sides, that's due to the wheel offset and you'll have to live with it. If it really bothers you I've seen some guys use garden edging to make a fender flare lip that helps with the spray.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks dude

all makes sense and i appreciate what seem like not huge money mods to make it work. i'm going to resort to cutting things last though if at all possible

main question stands: do you dudes think that cranking the torsion bars alone will get me to where its clearing alright?

and, if so, do i need to do anything else (to the rear for example"?

i will be having the alignment done once i get this clearance issues "cleared up", HAAHAHAHAHAHA :-(

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Going up will help some, but they will still rub while turning under compression.

In the rear I'd flex (or heavily load) the truck to check clearance and do some trimming if need be. Since the rear does not turn, typically you can clear a very large tire with little additional effort.

If you do go up in the front, get the alignment to keep the tires from wearing badly.

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
Take the mud flap off. The tbar crank will help some but like gman said above the suspension still cycles in the same path. It will rub when you turn and the suspension moves.

A body lift will get rid of the rub.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks man, good info that a body lift is an actual fix not requiring cutting and such and such

i've put the old tires/wheels back on, gives me some time to think and get it right this time

thanks again!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, at long last here’s some pics of the install! Rear tires/wheels of course work fine, have not observed any rubbing though I have not put it under any significant load in the bed either yet. Work done to make the front tires fit so far was to:
• Remove the mud flap
• Cut the plastic stock fender flares on front and rear
• Cut some of the steel on the rear of the quarter panel and hammer/bend it back so it’s curved and not a rough cutting edge
• I ordered some heavy rubber fender flare extensions and installed those onto the stock flares

I’m still getting a decent amount of mud thrown up onto the sides, though definitely not as much as before. Thinking of getting a universal type mud flap that can be cut to fit for those front wheels. I deal with a LOT of mud all the time out here and it gets everywhere once its on the truck. The wife doesn’t think its cool either ;-p

Oh, I did the cutting with a dremel tool, first time I’d used it and I was damned impressed!

Thanks for all your help, keep on truckin’!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts