Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Cooper St Maxx vs Falken ATW3 vs Toyo AT2?

• Cooper St Maxx

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Falken ATW3

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Toyo AT2

Votes: 4 50.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have been going back and forth on what direction I want to take with my truck. After a lot of research, thought, and being realistic, I've finally decided on my setup. I spent 30mins on the phone with Nisstech and they were great and answered everything. I will be ordering the newer MK84 suspension full lift with AAL in the rear for a 2" lift. My truck has 50K miles. This should give a great ride, handle the terrible Maine roads and all the off-roading I would do, which is pretty minimal. Anyways this leaves tires... and here I am lost again.

I'm looking at 265/75/16. I don't think I meet the need to upgrade here and the cons outweigh the pros for a DD. I also thought about going up to a 17" wheel, but the choices are slim to none...

so I am now looking at the Cooper STMAXX, New Falken ATW3, or TOYO AT2. I tried to do a poll. What do you guys think of these options? They all seem to have good reviews, are good in the snow (Falken should be) and look good. I currently have Cooper AT3s (load C) and while they have been great, I would like something a little more aggressive. I love the look of Cooper St maxx's, but ive heard about the weight and the fact they only come in Load range E kind of scares me. I'm not sure how 'rough' these would make the ride or suck MPG due there weight. Next, I really like the falkens and they seem to be well liked and are also a hybred type tire. However, they only have load E or SL. Would SL be enough for these trucks? The E are as much as the Coppers weight wise? I do tow a snowmobile trailer a couple times a month, and run ~200lbs in the back all through winter. My last choice would be the Toyo AT2s, I would get these in load range C if I was to go this way, however, ive heard some negative review about premature wear, chunking and some say they are not good in the rain/snow... this would be a big concern to me.

So, I'm looking for advice, anyone run these? like them or pick one of the other? is load range E that bad, like id be stuck with the Maxx's? I heard they have a soft sidewall which helps the ride to be ok? If I went falkens, would load range SL handle a trailer and weight (sandbags)?

Thanks for the help in advance! Oh, and I have a 13' Pro4x Crewcab, Auto, incase that matters...

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
I have no experience on either, but, pay close attention to any "snow" reviews and always look at where the reviewer comes from. Up in the mountains for a one time snow dump is different from a 5 months of the year snow, hard pack and ice up north winter snow review.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,030 Posts
I have no experience with any of these tires - though I did want to buy the Cooper STMaxx tires last time around - they were just stupid expensive up here.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Frontier MT sv
776 Posts
reliable tire and good tread wear

I nominated the Toyo AT II. We just replaced to an upgrade size 285/75r16. The stock size with Toyo provided a lot of highway miles and off road capability for us. We have some modifications but not SEMA caliber upgrades. The ATII is a value for long wear, taking a beating, grips well in wet conditions, plows snow ok, and turn heads on the street. I have been pleased with the results. To get the best wear- check pressure, rotate on schedule. We were able to log 57,297 miles on the 50k tire- one flat on the return leg from MOAB 2016 in Truckee.

Gobble Gobble ! ::smile::

1 - 4 of 4 Posts