Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, replacing my BFG long trail t/a on my '07 Fronty LE CREW with the newer BFG long trail t/a touring tires this weekend. Discount tires wanted to know if I wanted to replace some aspect of the tpms, something about a rubber gromet? I forget if its just the gromet or entire TPMS. Anyways what's the story with frontier owners getting new tires and what I need to know before letting Discount change out my tires. They mention that it costs 7.50/ea for this grommet or TPMS replacement. Don't sound too excited as the OE costs $100/ea.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i had no such problems when i replaced my tires last summer. think someone is pulling your leg unless they messed something up and are trying to cover up there mistake.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had no such problems when i replaced my tires last summer. think someone is pulling your leg unless they messed something up and are trying to cover up there mistake.
So how was your new tire experience handled? From some of the readings I did today, the TPMS is mounted to the wheel. Are there any connections to the valve stem or whatever you call that piece where they change out with each new tire?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
the sensors are the valve stems. they dont need to be replaced unless one is damaged. valve stems themselves dont need to be changed when you install new tires, its just another way for a shop to get more money out of you. my tire shop removed my old tires, mounted and balanced the new ones and that was it. took less than 30 min i believe.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
There are "O" ring gaskets/washers/seals (whatever you want to call them) on the TPM sensors.
When I just had the new rims put on a few months ago the service manager came out and showed me how one was almost split and he recommended new ones for all four wheels while they were swapping out the sensors to the new rims.
I agreed with him, I think they charged me an extra $12 for four of them.

Maybe that's what he is referring to?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
$7.50 each for a rubber grommet? I just got BFG AT's put on this year and I had no such sales pitch thrown at me. Only problem I had was they took a little longer because they claimed putting on the hidden weights was a little tricky.

I would keep that thirty bucks for beer or something personally. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts