Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just did my KA24de Timing chain and about to wrap things up. Thought I'd double check to see if I did things right. I used a haynes manual but read on a a forum where the cam lobes need to face outward and not inward as Haynes manual described. You can see the lobes opposing each other and the wooden dowel is in number one spark plug hole to show me where tdc is. Got my marks lined up but want to confirm I'm heading in the right direction.
Pic #1 shows the cam lobes and chain position pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's been a while, but owning 3 240sx's I'm very familiar with the KA24. Yes, the lobes should be facing outward. As far as I can tell, you've got everything spot on. (but don't hold me to it! lol)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Just curious, what made you replace the chain?
Nissan used to adverstise it as being a mantinence free design.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't care what Nissan says. Nothing is maintenance free. Anytime you have friction, you have wear and tear. That chain will break eventually. Maybe not until 500k, but eventually.

I always replace all my timing on all my vehicles around 90-100k. I think the 240sx had it one maintenance in the booklet at 110k or something.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yes they will wear ,but 95% of people will not hit that 500k ,and with regular oil changes most of these timing sets should last the life of the engine.

The early SOHC KA,s are a exception as they are known to eat the timing guides.
My early KA in my 93 Hardbody has the nylon guides ,but I recently inspected it ,and it looks new with 134k.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry for reviving a old thread but I recently did a head gasket replacement and I'm trying to figure out the upper chain timing because the truck has fuel & spark but won't start. I can hear a 'pop' sound every few seconds which I believe may be a 'backfire'. I did not touch the distributor so I do not believe that is the issue.

I understand how to adjust the cam sprocket timing by aligning it to the outer mating marks but I'm not sure how to adjust to the bottom center sprocket.

That above is the picture of the upper timing chain center sprocket. There is a dot on the sprocket that is facing straight up and it would seem like that is something to align the timing chain to. The only problem is that this picture was taken in TDC so I'm wondering if that dot is supposed to be facing straight up to indicate TDC or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts