Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looks like Billiebars has a new tailgate cover:
BillieBars - Frontier Tailgate Cover (1997-2021)
BillieBars - Frontier Tailgate Cover (2022+)

@AllThingsOverlanding posted a video here: BillieBars Tailgate Cover Install (great vid BTW)

Looks nice, but a bit pricey. I like it better than Mountain hatch because it has full depth cup holders.

Maybe one day I'll do it, and if I do I'll probably make my own. HDPE or Starboard. Maybe Delrin.

Anyone ever looked at using the inside for storage. I've seen some vids on the utube where guys with Landcruisers cut some extra holes and use it for storage. I like the idea of using it to store soft stuff, like soft recovery gear (tow ropes, snatch straps, soft shackles, gloves, etc.). I just haven't had the time to dig into it yet. Waiting on finding some money to get a camper shell first.

Edited to add:
I just found Tap Plastics:
Tap Plastics Starboard Cut to Size
Looks like for about $100 you could get one cut to order. That's pretty slick. But you could also save some cash by just hitting up your local materials shop. You might bet lucky and find some scrap. They also have regular HDPE and Delrin. I like the starboard because it's a little more grippy than the others. You could put grip tape on the Delrin. But nothing likes to stick to HDPE.

· Registered
2016 Nissan Frontier SV CCSB 4x4
897 Posts
Sheesh, $300 for that seems steep. Just saw your edit though which is where I was going to go.

I guess we wouldn’t be in a Frontier if we weren’t all cheapskates to some degree. I prefer to say I like “good value”.. 🤣

· Registered
2,550 Posts
$300 for a cupholder sheeeeeesh.

· Registered
2,550 Posts
Sheesh, $300 for that seems steep. Just saw your edit though which is where I was going to go.

I guess we wouldn’t be in a Frontier if we weren’t all cheapskates to some degree. I prefer to say I like “good value”.. 🤣
lol my thoughts exactly 😂

Reactions: NCalFrontier

· Registered
2,550 Posts
Good idea for DiY project tho!

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yeah. "Cheap" though has a bad conotation. I like what my wife calls her father. When she was growing up he was very frugal. I just respect my wallet too much to pay extra for their offerings. Anyway...

I just spent the last 30 minutes reading a post on tacomaworld (blah...I just threw up a little) and I'm kind of inclined to go with aluminum if/when I do it. Some guys who went with standard, black HDPE had warping issues in sunlight. Now, Starboard is actually expanded HDPE and includes UV inhibitors so that it does better in direct sunlight for longer. I also think that it has a lower coefficient of expansion, so in sun it won't expand as much as HDPE...although HDPE is pretty darn stable already.

So maybe consider pricing 3/16". And might as well save money (being the frugal, intelligent, and obviously good looking folks that we Nissan owners are) by cutting it yourself.

At least I'm not the only one that think that these things are an extravagance. Heck, 1/4" or 3/16" plywood covered in polyurethane and some grip tape on the back would do just fine for a long...long time.

Don't forget that you'll have to bevel/chamfer the bottom edge so that the tailgate closes (if you go with thick material). It's a little more complex than the Tacoma tailgate cover. But that's what you get when you go with perfection.

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the soft marine grade padding would not hold up on my truck, my plastic liner has all kinds of gashes and gouges in it, because, well, it's a truck.
Actually, it's pretty tough. You can check it out at your local WestMarine. It's slightly lower density than standard HDPE, but still tough. and it's made for our enviroment and usually (i said usually and certainly if you get official "King Starboard") has at least one side that is kind of grippy. It was made for the marine industry and you can walk on it while it's wet and be less likely to slip. HDPE sheets are really slick by default and like ice when they get wet. Starboard (or other similarly named product not made by 'King') will also all have UV inhibitors. White HDPE off the shelf is usually not UV stable and will begin to get brittle after time. Black HDPE is usually UV stabilized (i.e. there is an additive that slows the effect of UV breakdown).

It's not a pad, for sure. It is solid. Usually they make the can/cup holders for boats out of it. Now they make a lot more stuff from it..

I highly recommend it.

· Registered
1,483 Posts
Why gorilla tape? :rolleyes: Just make four more holes on the bottom to match the gate and screw it in??

While I understand why someone would want to replace the cover, won't this just get scratched up or chewed up just as easily if not more? Honestly, pack a separate cutting board if you plan to use the gate as chef's station?

I personally would remove the plastic panel and get the gate sprayed with Line-X or similar product. Easier to maintain and holds up great. Just my two cents.

Thanks for posting none the less ✌

· Registered
2,550 Posts
Why gorilla tape? :rolleyes: Just make four more holes on the bottom to match the gate and screw it in??

While I understand why someone would want to replace the cover, won't this just get scratched up or chewed up just as easily if not more? Honestly, pack a separate cutting board if you plan to use the gate as chef's station?

I personally would remove the plastic panel and get the gate sprayed with Line-X or similar product. Easier to maintain and holds up great. Just my two cents.

Thanks for posting none the less.
Yes I definitely wouldn't use something I put my feet on to double as a food prep surface!! 🤢🤢

Sincerely, a former chef.

· Registered
8,069 Posts
I think they got the years wrong: 1997-2021?? I think it should read 2005-2021. Pretty cool but not $300 cool. THe aluminum, backing gives it strength, the foam makes it easy on the knees and butt. I keep a square of foam in the back of the truck and place it on the tailgate when I am crawling in and out to pad my knees. This cover will take care of that. Nice concept.

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I definitely wouldn't use something I put my feet on to double as a food prep surface!! 🤢🤢

Sincerely, a former chef.
But it's food grade material!!! I love when the vendors state that. Yeah, it's food grade, but if it's dirty and/or you've stepped in dog poo and then stepped on the material, then you've still got a dirty, bacterial ridden tailgate.

Now, I won't deny that HDPE does clean well, but before you go cutting food DIRECTLY on that board, I'd probably want to douse it in a water/bleach mixture (10:1 at least) to kill the nasties on there.

I think the only reason one would do this is if they want a flat tailgate instead of one with ridges. Or maybe the cup holders. That is pretty nice when you're sitting around.

I know the materials and labor to build those and make a profit probably costs about $200-$300. But There sure seems to be a lot one could do with $300. I, for one, will likely spend $50 on material, a couple hours of my time, and then take the remaining $150 - $250 and spend it on my family...or towards new tires...or material for rock sliders...or....or...or.

· Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
1,437 Posts
But it's food grade material!!! I love when the vendors state that. Yeah, it's food grade, but if it's dirty and/or you've stepped in dog poo and then stepped on the material, then you've still got a dirty, bacterial ridden tailgate.

Now, I won't deny that HDPE does clean well, but before you go cutting food DIRECTLY on that board, I'd probably want to douse it in a water/bleach mixture (10:1 at least) to kill the nasties on there.

I think the only reason one would do this is if they want a flat tailgate instead of one with ridges. Or maybe the cup holders. That is pretty nice when you're sitting around.

I know the materials and labor to build those and make a profit probably costs about $200-$300. But There sure seems to be a lot one could do with $300. I, for one, will likely spend $50 on material, a couple hours of my time, and then take the remaining $150 - $250 and spend it on my family...or towards new tires...or material for rock sliders...or....or...or.
It does annoy me that my son’s truck w/ the plastic bedliner has the little cup holder divets & mine with the spray-in liner has a totally different tailgate cover without em. But $300 for that is pretty ridiculous.

· Registered
2022 Frontier SV CC 4x4 White Prem
298 Posts
they "look nice" but agreed not for 320.00, the shallow cup holders my gen3 has work just fine. But i do agree with others here sounds like a homemade mod, new rugged cover with big cubby hole storage for stuff.

· Registered
298 Posts
not to argue but when I click on the link, click on key features, this is what it says, "soft marine grade padding."
made from marine foam, right? How is that better than the rigid plastic I have now other than not being smooth and flat which I do like. Unless now of course being marine foam it will keep your truck from sinking into the deep abyss. Then 320 just might be worth it.

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
not to argue but when I click on the link, click on key features, this is what it says, "soft marine grade padding."
made from marine foam, right? How is that better than the rigid plastic I have now other than not being smooth and flat which I do like. Unless now of course being marine foam it will keep your truck from sinking into the deep abyss. Then 320 just might be worth it.
You guys are right. Sorry. I thought you were talking about Starboard. I forgot that the cover had that foam.

The foam might feel a bit nicer on the tooshy.

· Registered
298 Posts
You guys are right. Sorry. I thought you were talking about Starboard. I forgot that the cover had that foam.

The foam might feel a bit nicer on the tooshy.
oh, so you are willing to pay 320 for a built in slightly softer mobile chair with deeper cup holders, hmmm. So, can I sell you rights to the bridge from Florida to Mexico? I will give you a good price. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts