Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning to have these items install in my truck, what you guys think?

Amp JL AUDIO HD900/5
speaker JL C5 front
speaker JL C5 back
Clean Sweep CL441dsp
Stealth box

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
you know, audio is pretty much a personal preference. so wether one guy likes it or not doesnt make a lick of difference.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
JL makes some good stuff. you wont be disappointed as long as you dont look at the hole in your wallet.

if you want to save some money, you can get the same quality sound for less, but you gotta do your homework, find out what you like, etc.

if you just want it done, and done good, go with what you have listed.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
JL makes some good stuff. you wont be disappointed as long as you dont look at the hole in your wallet.

if you want to save some money, you can get the same quality sound for less, but you gotta do your homework, find out what you like, etc.

if you just want it done, and done good, go with what you have listed.
^^^That's great advice right there!

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
just one question, have you listened to everything you have listed together as a system or is that what a JL audio dealer told you would sound good?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hold up...don't the stealtboxes have built in amps? If so you wouldn't need a 5 channel, and a 300x4 would probably work fine...a way to save some more dough possibly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just one question, have you listened to everything you have listed together as a system or is that what a JL audio dealer told you would sound good?
This what the local JL dealer told me that if I wanted the great system for my truck. They didnt have a stealth box there for me to listen to, but I was able to listen to the C5.

So what do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
i recommend:

-soft dome tweeters
-paper or poly woofers
-not listening too hard to a guy with a sales pitch
-quality amps with a little overhead
-a planned installation
-and the steak tacos at morelias restaurant

we can recommend all day, but its your ears. what are your goals. what do you listen to. how much do you want to spend. do you want to keep the stock radio. etc

·
Registered
395 Posts
Personally I am a big fan of infinity give them a try over JL . But like said above to each his own

·
Registered
210 Posts
The JL Audio 900/5 is a bad mutha. I've considered the same amp, but the cheapest I've seen them online is ~$700. It's hard to pull the trigger on that price tag. 500W is more than the Stealthbox needs, but I suppose you can adjust the gain accordingly.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
This what the local JL dealer told me that if I wanted the great system for my truck. They didnt have a stealth box there for me to listen to, but I was able to listen to the C5.

dont EVER buy anything just because the sales rep told you its good. he gets paid to sell you what he wants you to buy and gets commission off the sale(in most places). the best advice i can give you is to go to ANY place that sells car audio and listen to whats there. NEVER buy something without hearing it first. take a note pad and pen with you when you go. write down what you like with make and model and what they were powered from(deck, amp) and also write that down along with the prices of everything. then, go home and look up prices on the web. you can save a LOAD of money that way, even with shipping.

OH, and to clear up what Scott said. we can tell you all day long what sounds good to us. BUT what sounds good to me may sound like crap to Scott and vice versa. you will know what sounds good when you hear it. i have heard $40 speakers that sounded better than some of the JL line. its all in what you hear not what we tell you.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
NEVER buy something without hearing it first.
This. pretty much if you are new to car audio, always listen to something before buying. and dont be alarmed if the speakers right out of the box sound a tad harsher than you were expecting. remember that speakers break in as they play, so the sound will get better after a few hours of play.

once you learn what you like, you can experiment a little. i know for a fact that i prefer a silk dome tweeter because they are much softer on the ears than a hard dome tweeter. they blend much better but they dont have that sharp tick that a lot of people like for rap music. a hard tweeter will be much crisper, but i listen to a lot of rock so cymbals can become fatiguing to the ears.

to me, when choosing speakers, that is where i start. find out what you like for tweeters as that can make or break your listening experience. so most silk tweeters are pleasing to my ears, now i can focus on power handling, sensitivity, and crossover point, etc. eventually i can narrow down the lot to a couple different sets.

then move on to the next system component

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hold up...don't the stealtboxes have built in amps? If so you wouldn't need a 5 channel, and a 300x4 would probably work fine...a way to save some more dough possibly.
jl steath boxes are not powered.... i think you are thinking of MTx's thunderform boxes.....

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
^gotcha. never used a predone box...always built my own...except for the custom fabbed box I have now that holds a JL 10w1v2

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am planning to have these items install in my truck, what you guys think?

Amp JL AUDIO HD900/5
speaker JL C5 front
speaker JL C5 back
Clean Sweep CL441dsp
Stealth box
cant go wrong with JL amps they are awesome >> i had there 600/4 and loved it ... as far as there speakers... there is much better out there and at a much lower price... like polk , or Boston. that gadget they call a clean sweep is a joke ... i had just a line- level to RCA converter and i bought into one of those... and i at least could not tell the difference after all of that set up time. i have herd the steathbox.... sounds good , but if you are looking for value and more SPL's get two 10"s under the rear seat, since you are planning on running some serious mid's and high's off of that jl amp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So i finally had this install in my truck! It sound great!! Does anyone have any interest in buying my factory stereo rockford fosgate 6 disc changer and my stock amps/stock rockford fosgate sub? send pm if ya interested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts