Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well for christmas Natalie went half's on an ARB locker for the front so now im locked front and rear
bought the new arb compact air compressor for the lockers only
installed one more leaf to the chevy leaf pack to level out the truck and modified the spring clamps to get full flex out of them
Natalie painted the metal on the mudflaps so we can run those here are a few pics

·
Registered
278 Posts
So wicked... it only gets better

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
hmmm I thought there was no way you could an air compressor under the hood. In these trucks there is just no room. But after looking I see that your truck lost its cruise control mech.

Besides the engine bay the only other place would be above the frame below the body and or the truck bed.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
hmmm I thought there was no way you could an air compressor under the hood. In these trucks there is just no room. But after looking I see that your truck lost its cruise control mech.

Besides the engine bay the only other place would be above the frame below the body and or the truck bed.
??? cruise control is still there
i just modified the bracket it was mounted to , in the 2nd pic you can see the new cross brace i made for that bracket right under the compressor

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of leaf spring clams are you using? And how did you modify them?
the clamps bend around the leaf pack at the top leaf , all i did was heat those up so they stand straight up now
thats how the 10 leaf pack from prg is done with the clamps straight up

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
that bumper is really cool. i know that's not what you are posting but i think it looks awesome. that compressor looks like it would be a blast

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
??? cruise control is still there
i just modified the bracket it was mounted to , in the 2nd pic you can see the new cross brace i made for that bracket right under the compressor
Oh it's just hard to see from the pic. All I know is I have a sperate fuse box right there and getting to it is sort of tight.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah you can see the fuse box in front of the air compressor , the reason i chose that spot is because it will be protected from water etc
i did have to modify a few things but i think its a better location than somewhere under the truck

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
truck is looking great aaron. the only thing i wish i had done differently with my arb is mounting the air compressor inside the glovebox- its small enough to do so and it would be competely protected from the elements. also, i wish i ran stainless braided air lines from the get-go. granted i haven't had any problems, its still a worry in the back of my head that somewhere on my truck an air line is rubbing against something and slowly developing a soft spot. its been about two years now and i haven't had a single problem with my arb's though.
ever measure how much your slip comes out of the tcase at full droop? the 2wd slip i was using at first was about 2" longer then the 4wd slip. just an fyi if you find your slip is running at the end of the splines at full droop.
can't wait to wheel with you in moab.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ill double check now that i have a little more flex , but when i did the chevy leaf swap i had to get the driveshaft made longer since it moved the rear axle back
i made the driveshaft long enough to compensate for the slip , i think i only had it 1/2-1" away from the slip at full compression so the rest of the slip could be used for down travel

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
another think to be carefull with the driveshaft is being too long. with my last driveshaft, i was climbing a sandy hill with a bunch of camping crap in the bed and i used a little momentum and 'bumped it' as we say. the weight of the truck leaning back and the camping equipment caused both sides to compress at the same time and the shaft was thrust into the slip and it damaged the output seal. i was pissing oil the rest of the trip untill it got below the seal.
its a $8 part and takes 30 minutes to fix, but its a pain in the *** i could have done without. just something to keep in mind. i shortened my shaft 1" since then and haven't had a single problem, but i'm running a center limiting strap, so the slip dropping out isn't a possibility and it doesn't limit flex.
your truck might be fine, but little hiccups like that pop up that really get you to fine tune the truck. i now carry a spare seal since if there was catastrophic failure of that seal, i would be focked.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well ive been running the driveshaft i have ever since i SAS'd with no issues , so its not to long

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
what i meant was, mine wasn't too long untill i slammed it like i did. just sayin.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.