Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I talked to my mechanic about your solution and he agreed (but I think it was mostly because it would be a lot easier job), and then I found this....

Now I'm thinking, stick with the Bilstein 4600s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can tell you my truck is riding better and that it's handling better.

I don't know know what kind of ride Scotty or his wife likes. But I'd bet I don't like the ride they like.

I only have about 600 miles on them. We'll see what happens over the winter.

I didn't count the number of coils or measure the thickness of the wire but I can.

There are a lot of reasons to change the thickness of the wire and the number of coils and you can't tell from what Scotty did. What matters is the spring rate of the spring after it's wound.

If you're going to keep the truck for another 100k miles I'd still get all new stuff.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thing is, my truck is in excellent condition. Garage kept, never offroad. My mechanic doesn't even think I need shock and struts but.... I'm also figuring maybe I need new exhaust in the not so distant future although there's really no visual degradation, but I agree with your point about keeping the truck for another 100k. This is the first vehicle in my life I kept past 60k, and it just has been so good to me that I can't see getting rid of it. I've replace the tires once, brakes once, and major tuneup at 105k. and two headlights. Otherwise, hasn't cost me a nickel except for mods I wanted to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
major tuneup at 105k. and two headlights. Otherwise, hasn't cost me a nickel except for mods I wanted to do.
There is a difference between a need and a want. Spend accordingly.

You've been really lucky. I didn't think the ride was all that bad before I replaced everything. I was doing the brakes. The rust on the shocks was really thick and the steel boots on the rears were starting to go away. I figured as long as I have the wheels off and it's on jack stands I'll just go for it.

But it's something I'm glad I did afterward.

I considered the Bilsteins. Almost bought them. But then I saw the quick loads. I've done that job before and springs are always a huge pain in the *** to deal with unless you have a hydraulic spring compressor. I know about this from motorcycles. I worked with someone and we sold aftermarket motorcycle suspensions. We also sold a lot of custom springs when the bike had a removable springs.

Just did almost the same job on a Lexus RX350 plus a cv axle and front wheel bearing and hub.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Very little corrosion under my truck. I'm thinking, like with most things, any deterioration has been very gradual so I'd expect the ride to be better, or at least different, whatever I opt to do. I just want to do it right and be done with it for another 100k! ;-) I'm already getting new wheels and bigger tires so this is the time. Only other thing I'd like to do is go to dual exhaust but my exhaust looks to be in such good shape not sure when I'd do that.

I guess another question is, considering that video, after aftermarket springs, like the Moog ones, the same exact height and wire dimension....

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I have compressed over 20 springs on various cars/trucks with several different compressors. Heck on this truck I have probably taken the springs on and off 4 times, and often it take twice each time to get them right. Never had an issue other then it is a PITA sometimes. Usually only use 2 units. If you turn your own wrenches it isn't something that is that difficult.

A couple of tips. Grease the threaded rod. Use 2 sockets and 2 wrench as they get stuck against the coils. Use air tools to drive the threaded rod. However use hand tools when really compressing the springs. Don't think it is safe to impact the **** out of the spring compressors.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts